Chirmorrie Farm

Galen Fries

Dec 29, 2020, 11:56:19 AM12/29/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone here live near the Chirmorrie farm South of Barrhill? I would love to get in touch with the current residents there to see if they have any knowledge of my family who used to own that farm. Laggish is another name associated with the estate. Also, if someone has any knowledge of the meanings of the names Chirmorrie, Chirmorie, and Laggish I would be very grateful if you could share them with me. I've seen Chirmorrie and Chirmorie spelled both ways on line and can clearly see (on Google maps) the sign in front of the farm that is spelled Chirmorrie. My family has kept these names as they have given names to different things since they have come across to America. As an example the boat my dad left me when he passed is named Chirmorie.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Galen Fries, grandson of Agnes Fries (Carswell) of Chirmorrie.

mike....@btopenworld.com

Dec 30, 2020, 4:26:07 AM12/30/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com

Hi Galen

Chirmorrie is from Scots Gaelic Tìr Mhuire, Mary’s land (as in a dedication to the Virgin Mary). Chyrmery in 1590 (Pont/Blaeu). Not far away was Karn nikilmory hil on Pont/Blaeu (now Cairn Hill of the Moil) , this looks like Càrn nic Ílle Mhuire,  ‘the cairn of the daughter of the Servant of Mary’. Of course could be a transcription  error for Càrn Mhic ‘Ille Mhuire I suppose. Laggish may be Lag Aise, ‘hollow on an axial route’ but this is a guess. Is the place-name stressed on the first vowel element ie Lag-ish or as would be required for the derivation suggested here, Lag-ish?

Kind Regards

Michael

Bruce McDowall

Dec 30, 2020, 4:26:31 AM12/30/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com

Galen Fries

Dec 31, 2020, 5:03:12 AM12/31/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com, Bruce McDowall
Wow, Perfect!! Bruce and Michael thank you both very much for the help!