Is Win32API Python module a strong requirement?

Sebastien Jourdain

Jul 30, 2014, 12:21:54 PM7/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

I'm might be pushing too much here. But after your wonderful handling of bz2 dependency, I was wondering if win32api was also a necessity.

Specially since win32api require some native code like bz2 does.
When my application was relying on WAMP v1 that dependency was not there, but when I switch to the v2, I start seeing issue.
Our solution was to just abandon Windows support (for now). But if by some magic, this dependency could go away, I might be able to bring it back.

So don't feel any pressure here, but I was just wondering...

Thanks again for your help,

Seb

Tobias Oberstein

Jul 30, 2014, 1:40:15 PM7/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

Am 30.07.2014 18:21, schrieb Sebastien Jourdain:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> I'm might be pushing too much here. But after your wonderful handling of
> bz2 dependency, I was wondering if win32api was also a necessity.

No, it's not strictly needed.

pywin32 is a dependency only of Twisted/Windows for certain Twisted
features (e.g. Twisted endpoints or the IOCP reactor).

E.g. try this on Python/Windows with Twisted installed, but pywin32 lacking:

from twisted.internet.endpoints import serverFromString, clientFromString

pywin32 has a couple of "unfortunate" aspects like

- it is a native CPython extension (aka "cpyext")
- it isn't even on PyPI, so packages cannot properly depend on it

Both are PITA. A proper wrapper for Win32 based on CFFI and hosted on
PyPI would solve that. Well. Not there.

> Specially since win32api require some native code like bz2 does.
> When my application was relying on WAMP v1 that dependency was not
> there, but when I switch to the v2, I start seeing issue.

Can you provide more details of what you are doing? Code that triggers
the issue?

> Our solution was to just abandon Windows support (for now). But if by
> some magic, this dependency could go away, I might be able to bring it back.

I would like to "fix this". Autobahn should have minimum deps and work
under as many configurations are (practically) possible.

> So don't feel any pressure here, but I was just wondering...

Don't worry;) Keep asking and filing issues. This is open-source, and we
_depend_ on input as yours.

> Thanks again for your help,

You're welcome,
/Tobias

> Seb

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/f1de2461-04bb-46be-bd33-e89ce81319fc%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/f1de2461-04bb-46be-bd33-e89ce81319fc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sebastien Jourdain

Jul 30, 2014, 1:46:15 PM7/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tobias,

I guess I should investigate more and see if that was an unfortunate import that I'm doing with Twisted.
Hopefully I can get around it.

Seb