Another kivy example: Votes front-end GUI client

Roger Erens

May 21, 2015, 3:29:10 PM5/21/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've created this Kivy example application which acts as a GUI front-end client to the Votes back-end compont in the crossbarexamples section.
I've tested the app under OS X, MS Windows 7, and Android. It's also expected to run under Linux and iOS.
I hope this app is yet another showcase of WAMP certainly not being restricted to browsers only with regard to GUIs. See the screen shot in the github repo mentioned below.

For the time being, find it here, including instructions for OS X and MS Windows:

Please give it a try, it should not be difficult. (If you find issues: please reply here, or contact me (worrelsik) at #autobahn in IRC, timezone UTC+2)

I would also like to show this example app in the Kivy community, to let them know about WAMP and Crossbar/AutobahnPython.
For that I'd like them community members to need jumping through as few as possible hoops in the installation procedure, meaning that they should only need to
  1. clone the repo
  2. activate their kivy virtualenv
  3. pip install -r requirements.txt
  4. python main.py
to have the GUI connect to an already running server, namely Tavendo's demo site, https://demo.crossbar.io/demo/vote/web/index.html

That way they wouldn't need to install and run their own crossbar router and Votes back-end in the beginning. (Something they might opt to do anyway in a later stage, if interested).
But currently I only can get this GUI front-end to work with an out-of-date autobahn 0.10.1 version.
Are there any issues with updating the demo site such that the latest gratest autobahn version could be used in the client?

Thanks to the Tavendo people for providing us with such a nice project!

Roger

Alexander Gödde

May 23, 2015, 6:53:19 AM5/23/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com, snere...@gmail.com
Hi Roger!

Glad you're staying active in the WAMP community!

We'll be updating the demo instance shortly, so that current libraries work with it again.

I'll have a look at the Kivy frontend in the next couple of days. In principle, could we integrate this into the crossbarexamples repo? I think it's best to have as much example code as possible centralized.#

Regards,

Alex

Roger Erens

May 23, 2015, 7:00:45 AM5/23/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com

Hij Alex,

Getting the demo added tot your examples repo was absolutely what I hoped for!

I'm curious what you think about The code quality

Roger