TLS using asyncio/trollius package in Autobahn Python (basic WAMP router)?

Dave Barndt

Nov 22, 2014, 5:15:45 PM11/22/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Quick(?) question: Does the asyncio/trollius support in Autobahn Python support TLS?

I have a Autobahn Python WAMP-(basic-router)-over-WebSocket server in an embedded device and I'm wondering how to make it secure/TLS.  I'd been using the asyncio/trollius package but the only example I see in Autobahn Python is using twisted - do I need to switch to twisted in order to do this? (The other alternative seems to be to upgrade to the advanced WAMP router/Crossbar.io on the device, but I'm trying to keep it "basic"/simple.)

Thanks very much for any guidance - the examples have been helpful for all sorts of Autobahn & WAMP learning/prototyping...!

Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 22, 2014, 5:24:43 PM11/22/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

> Quick(?) question: Does the asyncio/trollius support in Autobahn Python
> support TLS?

Yes. You will need to adjust

https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython/blob/master/examples/asyncio/wamp/basic/server.py#L116

according to the TLS stuff described here

https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-eventloop.html#creating-listening-connections

Similar for client.

> I have a Autobahn Python WAMP-(basic-router)-over-WebSocket server in an
> embedded device and I'm wondering how to make it secure/TLS. I'd been
> using the asyncio/trollius package but the only example I see in
> Autobahn Python is using twisted - do I need to switch to twisted in
> order to do this? (The other alternative seems to be to upgrade to the
> advanced WAMP router/Crossbar.io on the device, but I'm trying to keep
> it "basic"/simple.)

Curious: what kind of device?

> Thanks very much for any guidance - the examples have been helpful for
> all sorts of Autobahn & WAMP learning/prototyping...!

Great! Yep, we have a lot examples (as I like working code myself to get
started quickly) .. most of them for Twisted though since AutobahnPython
historically only supported Twisted.

Cheers,
/Tobias

> Dave

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Barndt

Nov 22, 2014, 5:41:13 PM11/22/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

It's actually a network of devices that can be connected to directly or from a central system (I'm the guy who asked you some questions about realms, etc. and setup a few questoins back)...

I decided to try asyncio over twisted just because it's the newer kid on the block in terms of native Python support (although having said that I'm still using trollius and Python 2!)...

Thanks for the quick reply and the time-saving pointers - I'll check into them!

Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 23, 2014, 4:12:17 AM11/23/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Am 22.11.2014 23:41, schrieb Dave Barndt:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> It's actually a network of devices that can be connected to directly or
> from a central system (I'm the guy who asked you some questions about
> realms, etc. and setup a few questoins back)...
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/autobahnws/xV7-fU2ZKQE

Yes. Should have been more precise: I was curious about the exact
hardware of the device(s). What CPU/MCU? Amount of RAM?

Since I am wondering why you want to use a AutobahnPython basic router,
not Crossbar.io .. any specific reasons?

Actually, the basic router in AutobahnPython is only there because we
never take stuff away from users once there. And historically (WAMP1),
AutobahnPython includes a router. Now all further router development
(like WAMP Advanced Profile features etc) are going to Crossbar.io.

All other AutobahnXXX are strictly WAMP _client_ libraries (no router
code at all), and AutobahnPython would be the same if not for above
historical reasons and our "never take away stuff" policy ..

Cheers,
/Tobias
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/92f8abd0-557d-4350-934e-60838134e6df%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/92f8abd0-557d-4350-934e-60838134e6df%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Barndt

Nov 24, 2014, 11:03:11 AM11/24/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

The device has a BeagleBone Black as the CPU board - 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8, 512 MB RAM, and we're expanding the flash/storage from 4 GB to to 8 GB.

The reasons I was considering the basic WAMP built-in router were essentially simplicity and ease of configuration:

1) I am implementing the device's WAMP endpoint in Python, and saw that Autobahn Python already included the basic router.
2) It seemed as though I could just include the basic router startup with the application session code; seemed simple with minimal config required.

Based on our discussion about realms, the device could potentially be part of several realms (one for just itself, one for all devices, and one for each geographical device grouping it could belong to - probably never more than a half dozen or so).

I have nothing against using Crossbar.io in the device, assuming setup is straightforward enough. And since this is a new, WAMP2-based design, it sounds like you are "guiding" me toward using Crossbar.io. Do you think Crossbar.io will work well given the requirement/scenario I've described?

Dave

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:12:17 AM UTC-5, Tobias Oberstein wrote:
Hi Dave,

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 25, 2014, 3:53:08 PM11/25/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 24.11.2014 17:03, schrieb Dave Barndt:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> The device has a BeagleBone Black as the CPU board - 1 GHz ARM
> Cortex-A8, 512 MB RAM, and we're expanding the flash/storage from 4 GB
> to to 8 GB.

This is a quite beefy little machine. FWIW, it won't have any problems
running a full Crossbar.io.

> The reasons I was considering the basic WAMP built-in router were
> essentially simplicity and ease of configuration:
>
> 1) I am implementing the device's WAMP endpoint in Python, and saw that
> Autobahn Python already included the basic router.
> 2) It seemed as though I could just include the basic router startup
> with the application session code; seemed simple with minimal config
> required.
>
> Based on our discussion about realms, the device could potentially be
> part of several realms (one for just itself, one for all devices, and
> one for each geographical device grouping it could belong to - probably
> never more than a half dozen or so).
>
> I have nothing against using Crossbar.io in the device, assuming setup
> is straightforward enough. And since this is a new, WAMP2-based design,

We have a setup recipe for the Pi, which most likely will work on the
Beagle without modification:

http://crossbar.io/docs/Installation-on-the-RaspberryPi/

I have a Beagle Black in the office (didn't have time to touch it yet),
but I might find 1-2 hours the coming weekend.

> it sounds like you are "guiding" me toward using Crossbar.io. Do you
> think Crossbar.io will work well given the requirement/scenario I've
> described?

Yes, I think so. If you only needed a WAMP component running on your
device, AutobahnPython would be sufficient. In that case, Crossbar.io
still would add value by being able to host your component in a
container which is monitored by Crossbar.io, and in the near future
would be able to remotely manage that component. If you need a router,
then I'd definitely recommend checking out Crossbar.io. The added value
above the basic router included with AutobahnPython is already large,
and in the coming future, you will be able to federate / hook up the
locally running Crossbar.io router to a Crossbar.io instance running
e.g. in a data-center. You won't be able to do that with the basic router.

Cheers,
/Tobias
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/75bb789c-a780-481e-9327-21c2a31a1ff4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/75bb789c-a780-481e-9327-21c2a31a1ff4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Barndt

Nov 26, 2014, 12:54:23 PM11/26/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

OK, I'll give the full Crossbar.io a go (I started with it very early on, until I found the basic router).  I hadn't downloaded it in a while, and noticed a bunch of new examples when I updated it yesterday. For example, I see the wss/TLS example now, which is proving helpful.

One quick question if I may ask (I'm sure there will be more). Is it possible to do Linux PAM-style authentication for users connecting to Crossbar.io/WAMP/WS?  I see from the new WAMP-CRA Crossbar.io example that a custom authentication procedure can be used, but I assume that's only specific to WAMP-CRA.

Thanks again for all the help/guidance,
Dave

Dave Barndt

Nov 26, 2014, 1:34:45 PM11/26/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, another quick question - it looks like for a Python application session component to be run "side-by-side" with the router, it has to be implemented with Twisted. I had started implementation using asyncio/trollius since it seemed to be "the future" encouraged by the Python community. If I want to use asyncio, then do I have to run the component as a guest / additional worker process?

Thanks,
Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 26, 2014, 5:03:14 PM11/26/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

> One quick question if I may ask (I'm sure there will be more). Is it
> possible to do Linux PAM-style authentication for users connecting to
> Crossbar.io/WAMP/WS? I see from the new WAMP-CRA Crossbar.io example
> that a custom authentication procedure can be used, but I assume that's
> only specific to WAMP-CRA.

It might be possible to write a custom authenticator for WAMP-CRA that
plugs into the Linux PAM ..
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/532623e0-2580-40b9-bf35-b2196df50f84%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/532623e0-2580-40b9-bf35-b2196df50f84%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 26, 2014, 5:09:51 PM11/26/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 26.11.2014 19:34, schrieb Dave Barndt:
> Sorry, another quick question - it looks like for a Python application
> session component to be run "side-by-side" with the router, it has to be
> implemented with Twisted. I had started implementation using
> asyncio/trollius since it seemed to be "the future" encouraged by the

asyncio is "special" in that it is part of the standard library in
Python 3.4+. asyncio also profits from the years of experience gained in
Twisted and awesome abstractions there (protocols/factories). asyncio
also profits from new language elements ("yield from")

However, Twisted isn't deprecated or going away. In fact, Twisted has a
lot more batteries included and broader scope than asyncio.

> Python community. If I want to use asyncio, then do I have to run the
> component as a guest / additional worker process?

Yes, this is correct.

Crossbar.io is written against Twisted, and Python components that run
side-by-side (in a router process) or in a container worker must be
written against Twisted also.

With guest workers, you can use anything supported by AutobahnPython:

http://autobahn.ws/python/installation.html#supported-configurations
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/2002c940-bfbf-41d9-9e8e-4444e5c9aff8%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/2002c940-bfbf-41d9-9e8e-4444e5c9aff8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Barndt

Nov 27, 2014, 11:48:13 AM11/27/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

OK, if you think it's possible I'll dig into it more. Didn't know if WAMP-CRA was compatible with PAM.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Barndt

Nov 27, 2014, 11:52:09 AM11/27/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

OK, I'm persuaded to just go with Autobahn/Twisted, since I needed to install it with Crossbar.io anyway. From my app's standpoint it's really no more complicated to use than asyncio; and in fact, since it would be simpler to put my app component side-by-side in the device with the Crossbar router, Twisted is my only choice, as you said.

More questions to come I'm sure...

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Barndt

Nov 28, 2014, 8:00:53 PM11/28/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

After some more checking, it doesn't seem possible to use WAMP-CRA with PAM, essentially since WAMP-CRA doesn't pass the secret/key/password across the wire. PAM auth needs to validate the password against what's stored on the (Linux) system (/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow).

So I'm still trying to understand the best way to proceed. All connections into our device will use TLS...
1) wss:// - WAMP/WebSocket connections for all data exchanged
2) https:// - Web site/single-page app (that opens a WAMP/WebSocket session for all data)

I have these working with the web server (NodeJS) and Crossbar.io, thanks to the latest version's examples. Because we're using TLS, it's acceptable to use HTTP Basic Auth to gain access to the website, using PAM to authenticate the user/password specified.

What we want to know is the "correct" Crossbar/WAMP authentication scheme to accept a username/password and validate it against PAM as well. If WAMP-CRA doesn't seem to fit the bill, I'm wondering if the WAMP cookie or ticket authentication methods might work. However, I'm having trouble finding Crossbar.io documentation/examples for these - I've only found examples in the basic router (AutobahnPython). Are they implemented in Crossbar.io? (You've otherwise convinced me to go with Crossbar.io as the router in the device...)

I hope my question/predicament makes sense. I'm grateful for all the answers you've provided.

Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 29, 2014, 2:09:39 AM11/29/14
to autobahnws

I see. My view: Sending passwords over the wire, in particular ones for OS level accounts, even when over TLS would make me very very nervous;) Anyway, that is your decision of course.

The clean way to do that with WAMP then would probably be a new WAMP-BA ("basic auth") scheme .. doing a trivial password request exchange. Its simpler than WAMP-CRA, but not there ..

Sent from Mobile (Google Nexus 5)

Dave Barndt

Nov 29, 2014, 11:53:27 AM11/29/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

I'm sorry this thread has become so long. Thank you for hanging in there with all my questions.

It sounds like "WAMP-BA" would be like the "ticket"-based auth in the basic WAMP router?  (I assume from your response there is no "ticket"-based auth in Crossbar.io?)

If there is (currently?) no WAMP-BA/ticket auth scheme, Crossbar.io docs do seem to indicate it supports cookie-based auth, but the doc page for it is currently "TBD". Would such a scheme use headers in the websocket "Upgrade" protocol message? Is cookie-based auth available in Crossbar.io but just not documented yet?

If neither WAMP-BA/ticket or cookie-based auth are available, I just want to be sure I understand - then is the only option in Crossbar.io to use WAMP-CRA (other than something Google Authenticate or Mozilla Persona, but I would prefer not to involve a third-party)? If so, then it seems I will need to maintain two sources of authentication (1. PAM/OS-level for browser's HTTP Basic-Auth and 2. WAMP-CRA-level), correct?  I really would like to have the browser and the WAMP/WS connections use the same "style" of auth, but that is seeming less and less possible. If you can enlighten me I'm very much all ears.

Thanks,
Dave

Greg Fausak

Nov 29, 2014, 2:49:49 PM11/29/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

A WAMP-BA method would be extremely useful.  As has been described, the 'password' is not 'put on the wire' from Autobahn's point of view when a challenge is made with WAMP-CRA.  However, you need to fetch the actual password to create the challenge for WAMP-CRA, so it is put on some wire, somewhere, and it is stored somewhere.    If there was a WAMP-BA then you wouldn't need to store the plain text password service side (like for unix password the salted result of a one way encryption is stored).

Anyway, I wanted to chime in with a +1 for WAMP-BA!

-g

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 30, 2014, 10:31:47 AM11/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 29.11.2014 20:49, schrieb Greg Fausak:
> Hi Dave,
>
> A WAMP-BA method would be extremely useful. As has been described, the
> 'password' is not 'put on the wire' from Autobahn's point of view when a
> challenge is made with WAMP-CRA. However, you need to fetch the actual
> password to create the challenge for WAMP-CRA, so it is put on some
> wire, somewhere, and it is stored somewhere. If there was a WAMP-BA

No. WAMP-CRA does _not_ require you to store the password in cleartext.
Use salting.

> then you wouldn't need to store the plain text password service side

As said, this isn't required.

> (like for unix password the salted result of a one way encryption is
> stored).
>
> Anyway, I wanted to chime in with a +1 for WAMP-BA!

WAMP-BA is inherently less secure than WAMP-CRA. It transmits passwords
over the wire: either in clear text or salted.

Greg Fausak

Nov 30, 2014, 11:49:40 AM11/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

I completely missed that!

-g

Dave Barndt

Nov 30, 2014, 1:49:02 PM11/30/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Sorry, but just to ask / be clear about my previous question - and Tobias I do understand/share your concerns, which is why TLS is definitely involved - could/will there be WAMP-BA/ticket-style auth implemented in Crossbar.io?  Could the scheme used in the basic router be migrated over, perhaps? I like how that ticket-style auth maps to roles like WAMP-CRA does, for example. I could try forking the code and implementing WAMP-BA, but I'd obviously be in at least slightly uncharted waters, involve touching all the Autobahn clients (right?), etc.

Otherwise, is cookie-based auth implemented in Crossbar.io, and are there any examples (client and server-side code)? If not, will there be? I think I could use this, but without an example/docs, I'm not 100% sure.

I do understand the points/benefits about WAMP-CRA, but in my use case it sounds like if I use WAMP-CRA, I'd have to maintain account info in two places. (The OS/PAM mechanism needs to remain because other existing processes in the device need to interact with the device web component, and it's easier to synch some of that via accounts on the system.)

Thanks,
Dave

Niran Babalola

Dec 3, 2014, 12:46:17 PM12/3/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
I tried adding SSL/TLS/WSS support to a Trollius-based Autobahn websocket client, and ran into a wall while trying to get it to verify a certificate with a custom authority. It looks like Trollius's backport of SSLContext doesn't validate certificates at all, which makes it pretty useless.

I think Twisted should be strongly recommended for users who want SSL support in Python 2.

Dave Barndt

Dec 4, 2014, 12:35:20 PM12/4/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the info Niran. Another reason to (justify why we decided to) switch to Twisted from asyncio...

To wind down this thread, we're moving forward assuming there's no WAMP-BA planned. It's more work for us, but the overall benefits of using WAMP outweigh this particular cost. If there is ever a simple/BA type authentication considered for WAMP V2+, we'd be all for it.

Thanks,
Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Dec 5, 2014, 9:04:20 AM12/5/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 04.12.2014 18:35, schrieb Dave Barndt:
> Thanks very much for the info Niran. Another reason to (justify why we
> decided to) switch to Twisted from asyncio...
>
> To wind down this thread, we're moving forward assuming there's no
> WAMP-BA planned. It's more work for us, but the overall benefits of
> using WAMP outweigh this particular cost. If there is ever a simple/BA
> type authentication considered for WAMP V2+, we'd be all for it.

Hi Dave,

I've implemented Ticket-based authentication in Crossbar.io.

https://github.com/tavendo/WAMP/blob/master/spec/advanced.md#ticket-based-authentication

Apart from naming, it's WAMP-BA. I forgot that we already started this
under the named "Ticket-based", not WAMP-BA. Hence the latter won't be
spec'ed or implemented.

This can be used in Crossbar.io with both static and dynamic mechanisms,
here is complete code for dynamic:

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/tree/master/crossbar/crossbar/templates/authenticate/ticketdynamic/python

Using this should now make it possible to plug into Linux PAM.

Cheers,
Tobias
> > <mailto:autobahnws+...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/c55846ea-5635-4728-b99a-b9828820b0c8%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/c55846ea-5635-4728-b99a-b9828820b0c8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Barndt

Dec 5, 2014, 3:15:26 PM12/5/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

To use a popular acronym: "OMG".  This may be the single best news I've had in weeks...!

In fact, I'm serious when I say, please let me know (da...@barndt.org) what PayPal account to send some $$$ for you to enjoy a beer (or three)  on me.  :^)  I can't express my gratitude well enough in a thread.

Continuing to look forward to helping confirm and improve WAMP as a major web force to be reckoned with!

Dave
>          > <mailto:autobahnws+unsub...@googlegroups.com>.
>          > <mailto:autob...@googlegroups.com>.
>          > To view this discussion on the web visit
>          >
>         https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com>
>
>          >
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autobahnws/4aa4ac0e-2081-4345-81d9-64ee2010d4b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

>         <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Tobias Oberstein

Dec 7, 2014, 3:04:36 AM12/7/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

thanks for nice words! Paypal sent;)

Please let me know how that works with Linux PAM integration or if you run into any issues .. curious also.

Also, spreading the word about WAMP and Crossbar.io is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
/Tobias

Dave Barndt

Dec 11, 2014, 12:38:07 PM12/11/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

I've got my application component "behind" Crossbar coded to work with PAM, it looks promising. Now, this feels like a dumb question, but isn't there also an Autobahn(JS, in my case) piece needed to support clients that want to use this new ticket-based scheme with Crossbar?  (I don't see a ticket-based auth scheme available in AutobahnJS 0.9.5, for example - only CRA and Mozilla.)  Any idea how soon new Crossbar & Autobahn releases might happen?

Thanks very much,
Dave

Tobias Oberstein

Dec 15, 2014, 10:32:44 AM12/15/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

new releases have just been published (my other post).

You don't need a newer AutobahnJS .. 0.9.5 works fine.

Here is the example:

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbarexamples/tree/master/authenticate/ticketdynamic/python

e.g. this

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbarexamples/blob/master/authenticate/ticketdynamic/python/web/index.html#L39

will make AutobahnJS initiate WAMP-Ticket authentication.

Cheers,
/Tobias

Dave Barndt

Dec 17, 2014, 11:08:05 AM12/17/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!  Seems to work!

On Monday, December 15, 2014 10:32:44 AM UTC-5, Tobias Oberstein wrote:
Hi Dave,