Re: Intros

Nathan Woodrow

Aug 23, 2012, 8:36:01 AM8/23/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
So...

I'm currently employed at Southern Downs Regional Council as a GIS/Assets Officer, although I mostly do GIS stuff.  Our main GIS systems were MapInfo and Exponare however now we have replaced Exponare with IntraMaps, and most of our MapInfo installs, except for about four, with QGIS (I did a post about some of the stuff we are using QGIS for here).

Over the last couple of years I have become a heavy QGIS user, to the point of using it as my main GIS system, and advocate for open source.  In December last year I joined the QGIS project as a core developer and am now actively involved in that (when I get time).  My main interest is promoting the use of QGIS, and other open source solutions, in the public sector. So far so good :)

My blog is at woostuff.wordpress.com which was my MapInfo blog but then rapidly evolved into a QGIS blog after getting more involved.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell

geraldineh

Aug 23, 2012, 5:39:56 PM8/23/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Well I'm currently the Cadet GIS/Asset Management Officer at Mount Isa City Council (the only person maintaining our GIS data :'( ). Our main GIS systems are MapInfo Pro and Exponare. Nathan introduced me to QGIS and am so far enjoying it :) In future I'd like to move Council to Intramaps and QGIS (because I love the drop down lists to edit/add data and the fact that it's performing better than my MapInfo with producing some maps)

I look forward to learning more capabilities of QGIS and what other users are doing with it :)

Cheers
Geraldine Hollyman

Chris Scott

Aug 24, 2012, 2:07:55 AM8/24/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Intros are a great Idea, thanks Nathan.

My name is Chris Scott I am currently GIS Training Manager at DMS. I am becoming more and more involved with QGIS and curently run QGIS training courses throughout Australia (check the calendar if your interested) . I have used both ESRI & MapInfo prior to QGIS and am currently really liking the ease of which QGIS can link live to spatial database like SQL2008 as well as the plugin repositries.

Very supportive of Open Source. Also interested in MapServer technology in particular ogr2ogr.

Cheers,

Chris.

Bill W

Aug 24, 2012, 7:54:36 AM8/24/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
I do commercial jobs in water and ag, i find it helps if I can put what I saw in the field on a map. I also use remote sensing data which QGIS is able to accommodate.
More another time.
Bill W

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:34:25 PM UTC+10, Australian QGIS User Group wrote:
Just a place to do intros so everyone knows who you are and what you do.

(only if you want to)

Stewart Macdonald

Aug 24, 2012, 2:19:06 AM8/24/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm a PhD student at James Cook Uni in Townsville. I've been doing a bunch of spatial modelling early in my project, looking at rainforest distribution through time, and modelling potential distribution under various climate change scenarios. I started doing everything in ArcGIS, but had major issues. I looked for other options, and came across QGIS. Unfortunately, I also had problems using QGIS, but I can't remember any specifics. I have a vague recollection of running into trouble when using large (e.g., Queensland-scale) datasets. I then switched over to doing everything in R, but plan to get back into QGIS to see if I can sort out my issues, and use it for the quick-and-dirty visualisations that are quite cumbersome to do in R. I've been following Nathan's blog <http://woostuff.wordpress.com/> for a while, so joined this group to keep in touch with the QGIS community.

I'll no doubt be very quiet on this list until I start getting back into QGIS sometime next year.

Stewart

John Bryant

Aug 24, 2012, 9:44:23 PM8/24/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Howdy fellow QGIS fans!  I recently moved to Australia, from Canada, for a second stint (I'm a dual citizen).  I'm based in Perth and working for a mining & exploration company as a GIS & database admin.  In my career I've mostly used ESRI software for mapping, but a few years ago I began using QGIS to complement the toolset.  Since then I have gradually increased my reliance on QGIS, mostly for data management & processing.  I'm a huge fan of open source software in general, and QGIS in particular.
I've been spreading the word as much as possible about the amazing resource that is QGIS, especially for casual GIS users who can't justify the expense of proprietary software licenses.  I've trained up a number of users in our office with great results.

Some of my favourite aspects of QGIS include: world-beating interoperability, amazing toolset, ease of use.

Love the idea of a QGIS group in Aus and hope it leads to the chance to meet some of you in person!

Cheers
John

Bill W

Aug 25, 2012, 4:55:55 AM8/25/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stu,
have you been using Landsat data?

Stewart Macdonald

Aug 25, 2012, 4:58:22 AM8/25/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

No, I haven't been using Landsat data. I've got a few Queensland Government GIS datasets, like land tenure and vegetation type (vector data), and modelled distribution (raster data). Why do you ask?

Stewart

Bill W

Aug 26, 2012, 3:18:20 AM8/26/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Just for interest really. A lot of temporal vegetation studies use Landsat and the Qld govt guys seem to use quite a lot of Landsat for various purposes. I'd be interested in any insights on how it goes with QGIS. Perhaps your vector data originated from some sort of remote sensing.
ciao

Luke

Aug 26, 2012, 6:46:55 PM8/26/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

My name is Luke. I've come from a local government and resources background but now am a consultant for DMS. I've been working with QGIS and other open source GIS products like GeoNetwork since my local government days. Before that a lot of PBBI, Encom along with earlier experience in ESRI, ENVI and ERDAS.

QGIS and Grass are an amazing combo and each time I use them I'm surprized how feature packed they are. Now that QGIS has SQL Server integration I do most of my data visualisation work in QGIS.

Nice work getting this list together Nathan and Chris. I look forward to interacting with some local QGIS people.

Luke Bassett
Melbourne Australia

Simon Nitz

Aug 27, 2012, 7:15:59 PM8/27/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
I'm formerly a big MapInfo Pro and Exponare user, these days I'm with DMS New Zealand as Director and Senior Technical Consultant.

Like Chris and the team at DMS Aus, the team at DMS NZ is also running QGIS training courses (with a bit of an NZ flavour!).

I love the ease of use of QGIS and more importantly that it has some great developers committing time to improving what is already an awesome open source project - thanks heaps team :)

Cheers
Simon

James Spath

Aug 27, 2012, 7:34:36 PM8/27/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Good morning

I'm James Spath from the City of Busselton in WA.

I was originally over in Ryde, NSW using Genamap and then Cadcorp and did some contract work for Kleenheat Gas, Alinta and the Department of Planning.

We were a MIPro shop with a couple of ArcGIS licences and have been using IntraMaps for quite a while.
We're keen to install QGIS as part of our desktop replacement project and I had played around with QGIS a bit as well as Tatuk.

I went on the QGIS course that Nathan wrote and so did Chris, as a way to understand all/more of what QGIS can do and to see if it's got what it takes.
I really like what I see and the fact that there are major improvements in the product in each release (unlike others) and that it has some really nice base features is amazing.
We use a fair bit of FME here and all our data is in SQL2008 so it'll be good testing out QGIS reading directly from SQL.

As with all things, groups like these only work when people share the issues and problems they have as well as their triumphs and ideas and thoughts.
I look after the "WA Local Government GIS Focus Group" and sometimes it's just a few lone voices out in the wilderness,
but I think with the range of people on this list it won't suffer in the same way as our Local Government group.

Cheers

James Spath
Business Systems Analyst - GIS
p: (08) 9781 0378       m: 0437 052 470
James...@busselton.wa.gov.au

City of Busselton
Locked Bag 1 - 2 Southern Drive, Busselton WA 6280
p: (08) 9781 0444       f: (08) 9752 4958
www.busselton.wa.gov.au

"Events Capital of Regional WA"

Attention:
This email and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately, and delete it from your system.

While every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan the attachments for viruses.

Noli Sicad

Aug 27, 2012, 9:08:22 PM8/27/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Noli Sicad from Melbourne.

I am using QGIS for Widows, Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS X. Creator nkids
theme (icon set for QGIS) available in previous version (i.e. QGIS 0.x
versions).

I am active in QGIS users ML, QGIS developers ML and Spatialite Google Groups.

I like to support QGIS and Spatialite users especially Mac OS X users.

I like to see QGIS in Mac OS X accessing MS SQL 2008 servers. (I don't
have any MS SQL 2008 server to access at the moment. If you are
Melbourne and interested to see if QGIS Mac OS X can access SQL2005 /
SQL2008, please let me know).

I am current running QGIS 1.8 in Mac OS X (10.8) and 10.6 as well.

Thanks.

Noli
> www.busselton.wa.gov.au <http://www.busselton.wa.gov.au/>
>
> "Events Capital of Regional WA"
> Attention:
> This email and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
> privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
> disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received this
> message in error, please notify us immediately, and delete it from your
> system.
>
> While every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan the attachments
> for viruses.

Andrew Jeffrey

Aug 27, 2012, 9:55:35 PM8/27/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My name is Andrew Jeffrey and I am currently employed as a GIS Analyst (the only GIS staff) at Snowy Hydro Limited in Cooma NSW.

I have enjoyed tinkering with opensource software from a consumer side of things for a while now. I like seeing how different opensource projects can improve my workflows or just make my life easier in general and QGIS is definitely a piece of software that has made my life easier.

We come about using QGIS due to a fortunate chain reaction of events, but it has since proved to be a change for the better. As a result we now run and opensource solution from database - intranet - desktop.

One thing I have missed since going down the opensource path is the local user community and any kind of face to face meet up....so if there are any folks in the Canberra/Monaro area that would like to get together regularly or on an ad-hoc basis drop me a line - we can talk QGIS, OS, or just past experiences using the software.

Thanks, and great work for getting this up and runnning.

Andrew

Simon O'Keefe

Aug 28, 2012, 2:04:24 AM8/28/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

My name is Simon O'Keefe, and I run Groundtruth, a GIS software
development company in Melbourne. Our clients are primarily local
government.

We see QGIS as the perfect companion to Pozi, our hosted web GIS
service. In a local government setting, Pozi handles all the basic
enquiries that staff and public need from a GIS, and QGIS is utilised
by the 'power users' for more advanced functionality.

You can see Pozi in action here: http://www.pozi.com/mitchell

We identify strongly with the open source philosophy. We've built upon
the OpenGeo Suite, and our customisations in turn are open source. We
enable clients to fund the development of features that they need. For
example, we are currently working on an overhaul to our interface at
the request of one council who said that it looked too much like a
GIS! The new interface will be much nicer, and all our other clients
benefit from that work.

I encourage users of QGIS to find their itch, and scratch it. I
applaud DMS's contribution to the development of QGIS features that
they required, enabling everyone to benefit.

I look forward to seeing a community develop from this group.

Cheers,

Simon
--
Simon O'Keefe
http://twitter.com/simokeefe

Nyall Dawson

Aug 28, 2012, 4:41:47 AM8/28/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's great to hear everyone's stories so far! I'm from Victoria Police's Intel Mapping and Analysis Unit -  we deal mostly in spatial analysis and forecasting of crime. While VicPol is predominantly a MapInfo shop, my unit has started moving a lot of our heavy processing across to a PostGIS/QGIS/R combination. I'm hoping someday I'll get a chance to port some of our custom MapBasic routines across to QGIS plugins and follow the excellent example set by Nathan!

My (fairly empty and currently Mapinfo focused) blog is at http://nyalldawson.net

Nyall

LukeBassett

Aug 28, 2012, 10:53:05 PM8/28/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Nice blog Nyall

When I worked in local gov (inner northern melbourne area) the police used to come and ask for us to create response maps. I always wondered if there was any internal mapping people.

Are you the primary spatial data hub for Vic Police?

Regards,
Luke

Nyall Dawson

Aug 29, 2012, 12:03:50 AM8/29/12
On Wednesday, 29 August 2012 12:53:05 UTC+10, LukeBassett wrote:
Nice blog Nyall

When I worked in local gov (inner northern melbourne area) the police used to come and ask for us to create response maps. I always wondered if there was any internal mapping people.

Are you the primary spatial data hub for Vic Police?

Regards,
Luke

There's currently two GIS units within VicPol -- my unit is focused toward analysis work and software development, and another unit handles the more corporate side of things (such as response boundaries, datasets, etc). How long ago where you working for local gov?

Nyall

Andy Bates

Aug 29, 2012, 9:46:42 PM8/29/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com

Hello QGISers! Or maybe that should be QGISOzers? Who knows!

My name is Andy Bates, I work in local gov in WA as a GIS Business Analyst, and I've been using the usual mish-mash of MapInfo, ArcGIS, IntraMaps, SQL Server, etc, for years... then along came QGIS 1.8...

I must admit I'd played with QGIS a couple of years ago but lumped it in the same category as Tatuk, Gaia, GRASS, etc - all open source bits of software that looked pretty cool but didn't really fit into my arsenal of GIS tools at the time. When QGIS 1.8 came out though it really grabbed my attention, particularly with the SQL 2008 integration, so I went on a DMS QGIS training course and now I'm a total convert!

I'm really looking forward to see how far we can go with QGIS, especially in local gov, and I'm relishing the thought of sharing QGIS ideas and experiences with other Aussies!

Cheers,

Batesy

James Spath

Aug 29, 2012, 10:14:03 PM8/29/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com

ha ha, yeah, maybe we're QGISOzNzers?

{sorry Mr Nitz!}

;o)

Noli Sicad

Aug 29, 2012, 10:47:37 PM8/29/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
I think the Kiwis are advanced in using QGIS than us.

Brent Wood, NIWA is using QGIS (cut down version) using WMS and WFS
(Quantum Map), if I am not mistaken.

http://www.niwa.co.nz/software/quantum-map

BTW, QGIS has also WFS 2.0 plugin.

ESRI does not have WFS 2.0 capability, however,
GeoServer beta 2.2, deegree 3.x and GO Publisher WFS got this feature.

(Auf Deustch. Tut mir leid (i.e. in German, sorry)
http://www.weichand.de/2012/08/26/qgis-wfs-2-0-plugin-update/

Funny, Christchurch City Council GIS group is bragging WFS feature
using GeoMedia (intergraph).

http://www.spatialsource.com.au/2012/05/16/article/Christchurch-City-Council-wins-ALGIM-GIS-award/QVMWISSCFT.html

Noli

On 8/30/12, James Spath <James...@busselton.wa.gov.au> wrote:
> *Sits patiently waiting for the New Zealander to comment...
>
> James Spath
> Business Systems Analyst - GIS
> p: (08) 9781 0378 m: 0437 052 470
> James...@busselton.wa.gov.au
>
> City of Busselton
> Locked Bag 1 - 2 Southern Drive, Busselton WA 6280
> p: (08) 9781 0444 f: (08) 9752 4958
> www.busselton.wa.gov.au <http://www.busselton.wa.gov.au/>

Noli Sicad

Aug 29, 2012, 11:15:49 PM8/29/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
> (Auf Deustch. Tut mir leid (i.e. in German, sorry)
> http://www.weichand.de/2012/08/26/qgis-wfs-2-0-plugin-update/

Here's the English one.
http://www.weichand.de/2012/06/07/wfs-2-0-client-plugin-for-qgis-english/#more-723

> Funny, Christchurch City Council GIS group is bragging WFS feature
> using GeoMedia (intergraph).
>
> http://www.spatialsource.com.au/2012/05/16/article/Christchurch-City-Council-wins-ALGIM-GIS-award/QVMWISSCFT.html

WFS-T feature in QGIS is available since QGIS 1.7.0
http://www.sourcepole.ch/foss4g/en/wfs.html

Noli

shane

Aug 30, 2012, 12:00:07 AM8/30/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hello QGISnOzers (...),

My name is Shane Gosselink. I work for Arbor Centre, probably easiest to classify us as being in the environmental field. We are situated in Perth WA, but we get around. I have the pleasure of being a newcomer to GIS systems and from what I hear have been very fortunate in coming into the fray at this time with QGIS 1.8, I was looking at other paid options but quickly saw the light. I have zero experience prior to this year so will be reading the forum with my eyes open to see what opportunities I can glean from others.

I also attended the recent course run by Chris Scott from DMS and had the pleasure of meeting a few of the lads from LGA's on this side of the bite (Hi James, Andy (Paul is yet to show up...)).

From what Scott said the Environmental sector is the fastest growing group in GIS utilisation at the moment, so hopefully we can be bring a fresh perspective on our needs along with the rest. Can't let you LGA's get all of the attention ;-)

Cheers,

Shane G

Marco Giana

Aug 30, 2012, 1:21:50 AM8/30/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
GDay,

Marco here. I work for DMS as consultant. I am coming up to 20 years professional experience in the GIS field in Australia and overseas. I used to mainly work with ESRI desktop products, but now working for DMS I have the opportunity to use QGIS as part of my day to day job, which I have found to be great. I feel there is a great future for QGIS in the Australian GIS industry, and look forward to being a part of the Australian QGIS User Group to exchange ideas on QGIS.

Cheers

Marco Giana

Simon Nitz

Aug 30, 2012, 3:53:46 PM8/30/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Gotta get a few more of the kiwi users to join up, bit out numbered! :)
I'm running 4 fully booked QGIS training courses in NZ over the next 3 weeks, so plenty of interest over here.
Cheers
Si

Alex

Sep 6, 2012, 12:58:42 AM9/6/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm Alex, and I'm currently employed at Glenorchy City Council in Tasmania.

We too are a MapInfo/Exponare house, though we have all our data stored in flat files.

I'm interested in moving our data into SQL Server 2008, then messing around with GeoServer, OpenLayers for webmapping, as well as looking at QGIS for desktop use.

I'm also interested to know how good you guys think IntraMaps is? I saw Dekho in action the other day and while it is very fast, it seems to be flash based, and so of limited portability.

Cheers,

Alex

Colin

Sep 6, 2012, 3:45:30 AM9/6/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi my name is Colin East.

Employment wise, I currently operate my own company - Geospatial ICT Solutions - and I'm also involved with an ICT management consulting firm - RTI Consulting. I try to get work as a consultant in the spatial domain but if there is none around then I consult in the ICT space.

Qualification wise, I have Management degree, a PhD that researched the use of GIS in Local Government and I hold a GISP-AP certification from the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute.

QGIS is a project I've been following for some time and I now have a couple of implementations up and running. One is a small council where QGIS is the client side of a Postgresql/PostGIS server stack (they will also soon use QGIS as a field data capture tool for their Asset Management function). The other implementation is with a state government department using QGIS operating on a file server arrangement. I also use QGIS for GIS work and my current project is with an alliance of 7 councils undertaking Open Space planning at a regional level.

I have an ESRI background and believe that QGIS combined with other Open Source tools like Postgresql/PostGIS, geoserver and openlayers stacks up very well against ESRI's individual products as well as the combined ArcGIS Server stack.

Noli Sicad

Sep 6, 2012, 4:09:25 AM9/6/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Thanks for posting.

It is nice to know Australian GIS businesses using FOSS.

Looking at your website now.
http://www.geospatial-ict.com.au/index.html

Totally agree on what you are saying in FOSS stack against ESRI.

You don't even need a GeoServer to have web mapping interactive site.

Here is example (below) on using Leaflet without any geoserver or
mapserver. It is even cleaner (i.e. less clutter) than some web
mapping sites I know.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/axler/SLRE_Deep_Map/index2.html

Noli
>> *(only if you want to)*

Barrett Higman

Sep 24, 2012, 7:16:24 PM9/24/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm the GIS Officer at Alpine Shire Council, located in Bright, NE Victoria. We are formerly a MapInfo Pro/Exponare site but have moved (in the last couple of weeks) to IntraMaps for our enterprise GIS and I have put QGIS on a couple of power users computers. In a  previous life I was a consulting for Earth Tech and using an ESRI environment. It is great to get my hands back on a GIS that is so powerful but within the budget constraints of a small rural local council :)

At ASC we also have a heavy focus on improving data collection methods, as such we have had 5 iOS apps developed to date to enable our staff to undertaken numerous tasks in the field using iPads. I am particularly interested in the mobility options that QGIS could provide now (ie. QMap - looking good Nathan!) and into the future.

Cheers,
Barrett

Ramon Andiñach

Oct 16, 2012, 6:15:46 AM10/16/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hiho,

Having stuck my hat brim and glasses out, I'll say a few things about me.

Just for something different, I'm from a small exploration company in regional WA.

Officially, I look at rocks - but that also means looking at maps, and maps these days that means GIS.

I've a bit of a MI background, but the idea of a GIS that did what MI does once you add some rather hefty additions to it was just too tempting.
Actually, for me, because I deal with data from a wide area in a bunch of different CRS, the on-the-fly bit was a key selling point. The price was very influential for those actually paying the bills.

-ramon.

Malcolm H

Oct 22, 2012, 4:41:17 PM10/22/12
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, my name is Malcolm Hutchinson

I am an archaeologist, cultural heritage consultant and GIS analyst working in Hamilton, New Zealand. In 2012 I was awarded a Graduate Diploma in Geographic Information Science by the University of New England (UNE) in Armidale NSW. I also hold a Master of Arts in Archaeology from UNE, and a Bachelor of Social Science from the University of Waikato.

I am currently involved in designing and operating the GIS component of a survey of prehistoric gardening soils in the Waikato region. Spatial data, including soil maps and archaeological survey data from GPS and field notebooks is entered into a PostGIS database, from where original layers and analytical subsets can be served to a number of research archaeologists who access this data using Quantum GIS.

Although I use open-source software exclusively (including Free Operating Systems, currently Ubuntu Linux desktops and Debian servers), I am also responsible for the installation of QGIS on Mac and Windows machines, and for providing training to the archaeologists, and maintenance of the databases and desktop GIS installations.

My professional background includes formal training as a COBOL Programmer in the 1980s, but I have also worked as a journalist and construction worker. I spent seven years in Australia as a contract field archaeologist, and later as GIS operator (on ArcGIS), and analyst. I have several private projects writing programs in Python, although I've not yet come to terms with the QGIS Python API in sufficient detail to be of much use to the wider QGIS project. I would certainly be interested in learning more about developing Python plugins, and sharing what I already know with others.

I have a website, which I am currently redeveloping. It's essentially a personal scrap-book; a place for me to keep archives of my professional writing, and copious notes about computing in general and GIS in particular. It should be a whole lot more coherent when I release the redeveloped software (also in Python) driving the content indexing and such. Depending on how I divide my time between paid work and software development, this might be anything from a couple weeks to months in the future!

That will do for now. I look forward to participating in the group, and helping to raise awareness in industry of the excellent opportunities presented by Open Source GIS software.

Malcolm
http://adventurer.org.nz

Herman Felderhof

Mar 18, 2013, 3:32:14 PM3/18/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
My name is Herman Felderhof and I'm the Asset Support Officer for the Shire of Flinders, which is about half way between Townsville and Mount Isa.
I maintain the shire's unofficial GIS and I'm based at the shire's works depot where I work under the overseer of works. I'm in contact with our road inspectors, construction foremen and plant operators. Our official GIS person is based at the downtown office which is our main administrative building.

The shire's official GIS is MapInfo but I prefer to use QGIS instead. I am a fan of free software and open source have a website about how to install Ubuntu. I have a small collection of shell scripts to run in Linux for those times when I want to avoid a lot of tedious typing and need to do something special that a program doesn't cater for. I don't have an academic background but I have a strong interest in computers in general and GIS in particular.

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:34:25 PM UTC+10, Australian QGIS User Group wrote:
Just a place to do intros so everyone knows who you are and what you do.

Tore Pedersen

May 5, 2013, 8:37:45 PM5/5/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My name is Tore Pedersen and I'm a GIS specialist working for an environmental consulting company based in Perth.  Although our GIS team primarily uses ESRI software, I've long been a fan and user of Open Source software and have been an occasional QGIS user since around 2008, most often using it to 'fill the gaps' in the ESRI suite.

I was inspired to make more frequent and more extensive use of QGIS when I attended the inaugural QGIS Forum in Perth earlier this year (thanks DMS, Nathan et al.!) and saw just how capable and user friendly it is.  To me, the key strengths of QGIS are its price, its ease of use, its community-driven development and its extensive capabilities.  I'd like to see more of my colleagues using QGIS as a tool for creating, managing, analysing and better understanding their own data.

I'm interested in learning more about how others here use and promote QGIS in their workplaces, and keeping in touch with the Australian (and Perth) QGIS community in general.

Cheers,

Tore

Richard Butler

Sep 6, 2013, 2:46:53 AM9/6/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Given that i've asked a question on this forum, i suppose that i ought to introduce myself formally on here! :-)
I work as a Traffic & Road Safety Analyst for the RAA in South Australia.  I've been in Adelaide for two and a half years, having moved out here with my wife.  I previously worked in the UK for the police as a partnership analyst where i used MapInfo.
Since arriving in Adelaide i wanted to get more into the GIS space but found that difficult, mainly because the market is fairly small here and i had no formal ESRI experience.  When i decided to revert back to my analyst roots i was fortunate to come across this job.  Although GIS isn't in my job spec, i found out at the interview that they had a MapInfo licence, and the rest is history!
For an organisation of it's size i was surprised to find that mapping was not as integrated into day to day business as it should be, which i am slowly trying to do something about!  I think i was reading something a few months back about open source alternatives to popular software systems, when i decided to do some research on open source GIS and came across QGIS!  It is now my go-to GIS and whilst i've still got a bit to learn (especially on projections as my other post will testify!) i'm enjoying using it.  I use MapInfo occasionally but am conscious that we're on v10, which i think dates back to 2009.

Rich.
Message has been deleted

Carl Rouhiainen

Sep 17, 2013, 12:45:23 AM9/17/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've only been using QGIS Version 1.8 for a few weeks and so far I am very, very impressed...

About me: Family man, married 21+ years (a miracle...). Technical oriented professional career in Civil Engineering spanning 20+ years, predominately infrastructure planning and asset management. I have tackled and conquered the monstrous, epic journey of the PhD research degree, graduating in 2010, on numerical optimisation and control using Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithms (and that's the short thesis title!) But most importantly I can now call myself Dr. Carl :) Seriously though, throughout my career I have worked with GIS as an integral tool for infrastructure planning and asset management, mostly using either ArcGIS or MapInfo and mainly as an end user. Occasionally I have dabbled in some software programming (e.g. MapBasic for MapInfo).
What Now: Currently Asset Manager for the City of Subiaco. Transitioning from MapInfo (with file-based tables) to using QGIS (linked to SQL Server database tables) as part of the City's Asset Management Framework. This includes designing and developing appropriate SQL Server tables, relationships, queries and views and linking to QGIS for analysis and mapping of the City's infrastructure assets data (e.g. roads, drainage, pathways, buildings, parks & reserves, street furniture, etc..).

What Next: I am looking forward to QGIS Version 2.0

Cheers,

Carl (aka Dr C.)

Surag Kulkarni

Nov 11, 2013, 7:46:32 PM11/11/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am Surag Kulkarni working for Hobsons Bay CC in Metro Victroria as a GIS and Asset information Officer. We have MapInfo Pro and Intramaps. I have been using QGIS for around 6-8 months.
I really enjoy using QGIS with on the fly projection and variety of data sets from esri and MapInfo can be used together. I also enjoy QGIS for Cartography it has much better user control and it saves me a lot of time to create map in QGIS over MI Pro. It is also a complete GIS solution for Mac users so I do not have to VM to windows so I can use GIS at home.
Thanks DMS to introduce me to QGIS.

Tom Croft

Dec 5, 2013, 11:18:48 PM12/5/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
I work for a Catchment Management Authority in VIC, and probably qualify as one of those dangerous people who know just enough to stuff things properly - no formal GIS training but learning along the way.

We use ArcGIS in the office, but I work with lots of community NRM groups that are required to provide spatial mapping for their project reports, but with no funding and stuff all resources to do so. They also tend to have project managers with no GIS training or experience, so need a system that is relatively simple, and am always looking for easier options. Hence I have been helping them to use QGIS to map planned and delivered projects - mostly environmental works.

Couple of key reasons for QGIS - free is important for the groups, high capabilities is important for the monitoring & reporting, compatibility with multiple OS is good for the various project managers, since they tend to use their own computers which can have anything from Apple to every version of Windows, a stable system saves me getting lots of help phone calls, and a surprisingly comprehensive (for open source) user manual helps a lot.

So, I won't be able to help with any advice, unless you want some low skills user tests undertaken, and will probably be coming up with questions.

Bill Williamson

Dec 20, 2013, 5:38:06 AM12/20/13
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Have to do a new intro. I got a new job.....

Ben Wallis

Jan 1, 2014, 9:59:09 PM1/1/14
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am one of two GIS staff at Yarra Ranges Council which is located to the outer east of metropolitan Melbourne. The size and variation of the LGA's geographic characteristics makes it an interesting place to work from a GIS perspective.

Historically, we have been a MapInfo/DMS (IntraMaps) site, but over the past year or so I have been using QGIS much more frequently. The flexibility QGIS provides has enabled us to initiate some new and exciting projects (mainly asset based), and the ability to connect live to SQL Server is hugely beneficial. The ease which "nice" looking maps can be produced has also been fantastic, especially editing cartographic elements such as legends, scale bars, grids with annotations etc.

One thing I would be very interested in seeing is a QGIS style repository. I recently classifed our planning scheme data and it was something I'm pleased to say I won't have to do again thanks to the ability to save layer styles.

Cheers

Ben

Nathan Woodrow

Jan 1, 2014, 10:32:09 PM1/1/14

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Ben Wallis <bcwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
One thing I would be very interested in seeing is a QGIS style repository.

Hey Ben,

There is already code ready to be merged.  I just need to do some final reviews before it makes it in the next release.

- Nathan

Sam Ebert

Mar 3, 2014, 11:41:35 PM3/3/14
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hello all
I am a teacher of Spatial Information Services (SIS) at the National Environment Centre, Riverina Institute TAFE, Albury. We deliver SIS courses at the Certificate III, Certificate IV and Diploma level via distance-education across Australia. We recently incorporated QGIS instructional material to augment our ESRI and MapInfo streams as part of our Certificate III course.
I am very impressed with the functionality of the software. Initial student feedback is similarly positive. I look forward to seeing what you QGIS practitioners are developing and passing that on to our students.

Jane Kaye

Mar 16, 2014, 9:28:33 PM3/16/14
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I am the GIS Coordinator at the Rural City of Wangaratta.  Our corporate GIS is DMS IntraMaps and we use MapInfo for backend spatial data management.  I am really enjoying playing around in QGIS, especially the cartographic flexibility.
Message has been deleted

Nicholas Vanderkooi

May 2, 2016, 9:23:30 AM5/2/16
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi all,

I am a PhD economic student at Macquarie University. I am wanting to have data in sa2s and to be able to manipulate it in something like R.  QGIS is open source, having consistent access to a GIS tool is important. I do not know much about GIS or QGIS.  I am glad there is such a group as this.

Patrick Dunford

Jul 19, 2016, 5:58:20 AM7/19/16
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group

Hello to all from Christchurch NZ

I work in education and unlike a lot of you my work has nothing to do with my interest in Qgis. I use the software for hobbyist purposes, specifically mapping historical and present railway lines in New Zealand.

Started using it on Windows and migrated very smoothly to Linux and always have the beta version (currently 2.14.3) without noticing any significant issues.

In order to fill in something that looks like a real map I have downloaded a lot of free layers from Linz Data Service so it is kind of like a real topo map that people used to buy except being far more detailed, some of the detail is only visible at 1:1000 or even larger.

The blog for my project is at http://nzrailmaps.blogspot.co.nz

Marco Giana

Nov 6, 2016, 4:31:58 PM11/6/16
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Morning,

I have recently changed positions to the construction industry. The company I work for is an ESRI shop, but I find that working with QGIS faster, easier and functionality is not restricted to licensing costs. Lucky for me I have freedom to use what ever technology to get the job done, so QGIS helps out. Would be interested in finding out how people are using QGIS in the construction industry and I am happy to share my experiences as well.

Regards

Marco

Nyall Dawson

Nov 21, 2016, 7:07:21 PM11/21/16

On Monday, 7 November 2016 07:31:58 UTC+10, Marco Giana wrote:
Morning,

I have recently changed positions to the construction industry. The company I work for is an ESRI shop, but I find that working with QGIS faster, easier and functionality is not restricted to licensing costs. Lucky for me I have freedom to use what ever technology to get the job done, so QGIS helps out. Would be interested in finding out how people are using QGIS in the construction industry and I am happy to share my experiences as well.

Hey Marco - which state are you based? I'm on the lookout for GIS users involved in construction who are familiar with ADAC. I gather this is currently mostly Queensland focused currently...

Nyall

Marco Giana

Nov 21, 2016, 9:19:12 PM11/21/16
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi Nyall,
I am in Melbourne.

I heard you moved up to sunny Queensland, how is it up there?

Cheers

Marco

scott....@dpipwe.tas.gov.au

Feb 15, 2017, 6:32:50 PM2/15/17
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi,

I am on the ICSM sub-committees (GMIWG and PCG ) responsible for implementation of the new Australian datum - GDA2020 (what you probably know as a CRS)

I have joined this group to provide direct point of contact on what is happening and when with GDA2020, but recommend you join the new forum to post questions as some will apply across more than QGIS - http://gda2020.invisionzone.com/

I have also been teaching myself QGIS and investigating PROJ.4 and GDAL/OGR to understand issues with adopting GDA2020 in these tools

Cheers,

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 10:36:01 PM UTC+10, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
[...]

Andrew Harvey

Feb 15, 2017, 7:36:59 PM2/15/17
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, at 10:32 AM, scott....@dpipwe.tas.gov.au wrote:
I have also been teaching myself QGIS and investigating PROJ.4 and GDAL/OGR to understand issues with adopting GDA2020 in these tools

I'm keen to see this too.

A quick search on http://www.epsg-registry.org/ shows GDA2020 has EPSG codes, but this might not have yet flown to downstream libraries, not sure if it will happen automatically with time or some manual action needs to be taken, does anyone know?

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/475 seems to track including them in proj4.

Claire

Mar 29, 2017, 11:05:35 PM3/29/17
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi all

I have been doing GIS since 1989, and have used QGIS since 2012. I'm an archaeologist (just finished a PhD through Sydney) so most of the work I have done has been cultural heritage based, but I have also done general GIS contracts. My PhD focused on an analysis of the stone tools from Bahrain, and as part of it I designed and set up a spatial database for the Ministry of Culture at the National Museum in Bahrain in the Middle East. I have used GIS for everything from small local projects, to the national database for Bahrain. I love many features of QGIS, especially it's ability to import and export kmls whilst retaining attribute data. The biggest teething problem has been map outputs, but they are improving at last.
At the moment I use QGIS mostly for producing maps for educational material to be used in schools, but I want to do more archaeological research with it and I would also like to offer QGIS training in Brisbane. I taught GIS training back in the 90s and it was good fun, since then I have trained people wherever I've worked.
Oh, I also chaired a session on GIS in Archaeology at the Computer Applications in Archaeology conference when it was in Aus (Perth) a couple of years ago

Cheers,
Claire

Radoslaw Panczak

Nov 15, 2017, 7:36:43 PM11/15/17
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hello fellow QGISers!

I've recently moved to Australia to start a new PostDoc job at The Queensland Centre for Population Research (SEES, UQ).

I've been playing around with GIS and spatial stats for more than decade in various fields and countries. Stumbled upon this group (and already learnt a ton, especially about available data..) when getting ready for my new post.

As part of my new job I'm moving more and more stuff to OS software and will rely heavily on QGIS and R for majority of work. So you can probably expect some questions from me very soon ;)

Andrew Jeffrey

Nov 15, 2017, 8:52:36 PM11/15/17
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
 G’Day Radoslaw,

Great to have you in the QGIS community, and a well timed post at that!!

We are holding our user meetup in Sydney tomorrow, where we will be having presentations and workshops around the use of QGIS.

We’ll post some video recordings of the presentations on this list so that everyone can see them.

Once again welcome to Australia and our user group and look forward to talking about QGIS with you and the community.

All the best

Andrew

Jonah Sullivan

Feb 2, 2018, 1:54:51 AM2/2/18
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
I've been a Geospatial Analyst at Geoscience Australia for about 5 years, but I spent the past two years at IUCN Oceania assisting 5 countries to implement Marine Spatial Planning.

I've made a couple experimental QGIS Plugins and I recently ran a workshop for my colleagues on how to get started building plugins.

Andrew Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2018, 1:57:53 AM2/2/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

Thanks for sharing.

Any tips/materials you can share from your workshops?

Thanks

Andrew

Jonah Sullivan

Feb 2, 2018, 3:23:27 AM2/2/18
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group

Andrew Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2018, 2:25:05 PM2/2/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonah,

That's awesome thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Ben Wirf

Feb 6, 2018, 1:25:31 AM2/6/18
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group

Hi all. I am employed with the NT Government at Darwin Botanic Gardens. My work is mainly focussed on conservation seed banking and botany, which involves quite a lot of field work, often in remote areas. Around 3 years ago I started using QGIS to manage spatial collection data, map target species and produce maps for use during field trips. Unlike many, I have not come from an ArcGis background, but taught myself GIS entirely using QGIS.

Since then, I have become more and more avid about expanding my skills and abilities in all aspects of GIS using open source software. Over the last few months I have been dabbling with Python; trying to teach myself the basics of the language and learning the QGIS Python API. Eventually, I would like to be able to create some working plugins/ standalone applications etc. (I just saw Jonah’s post above- thanks for the link to your presentation!) It’s great that there are now so many resources available about geospatial development with QGIS & Python.

I look forward to connecting with other Australian QGIS users- especially any others in Darwin or the NT.

Glyn Bickford

Feb 23, 2018, 3:09:52 PM2/23/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
afternoon everyone,

i'm just getting into GIS and am currently using it for Bushfire planning and design, mainly for the development of overlay designs for construction constraints, by utilising various data sets i'm able to discuss vegetation types and structures, as well as analysing the slope data that would affect a bushfire. hopefully i can learn from the smarties in this group a little more so my understanding improves even further.

i'm currently based in the north of sydney metropolitan area but would love to sit down with a few people over a beer or 2 and learn more about this program.

i've not come from an ArcGis background and since august last year have managed to teach myself everything i currently know about the program. i feel as though i'm only scratching the surface with what this program can do though and would love to learn more about it.

Glyn Bickford

Andrew Jeffrey

Feb 23, 2018, 3:21:51 PM2/23/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glyn,

Welcome to the user group.

There’s plenty of users in Sydney who i’m sure are keen for a beer and a chat about QGIS. Great timing as well with the release of QGIS 3 last night.

Last year we held a user meetup in Sydney where we got a bunch of users together for a catch up. You can see the videos of the sessions here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQbaw-XC9jWFsTbZlIyoYLGsE4iZEUjFM

Feel free to use this mailing list to organise local meetups in Sydney, or seek out QGIS users to catch up with when travelling around.

Sydney has GeoRabble and MapTime events there’s usually plenty of QGIS user floating around these events.

Also, if you’re a twitter user you can stay afloat with Australian related #QGIS news by following the @qgisau account.

Andrew

jamie cave

Feb 26, 2018, 5:26:14 AM2/26/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the GIS world, i work at Wagga Wagga Airport down in southern NSW.

I just fell across GIS about a year and a half ago then i herd of QGIS and never looked back, i have self taught myself everything with a bit of help from google and forums.

I am only doing the real basics and slowly learning harder things, i love the GIS world and i have only scratched the surface!

At the airport i am only doing the basics which is helping me build the building blocks and eventually i want to get into the harder things.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the experience i can see in this group.

Cheers,
Jamie

Burnart

Mar 22, 2018, 9:57:05 PM3/22/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hello people,
I thought I posted an Intro yesterday when I signed up but it doesn't seem to be here..... not the most au fait person when it comes to social media type stuff so if my first attempt is on the site somewhere someone please point it out to me!

Simply put, I've been working as a cartographer for 16 years and GIS for around 15. My colleague has been a cartographer for 50 years. I've been aware of QGIS for a while but have only recently begun to seriously look at it. I decided to join a group in part because I was hoping to find some way of providing input for further development but I'm not a programmer, just a user. There are many great aspects to this thing but I think there are some limitations that need addressing before we could adopt QGIS as our primary production tool. Of course some of our concerns may be based on ignorance of the software - a user group can definitely help with that.

- Bernard (aka Burnart)

Andrew Jeffrey

Mar 22, 2018, 10:03:38 PM3/22/18
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi Bernard,

Nice to see you here on the list.

Feel free to raise what you see as limitations of QGIS to the group. You might find some good advice on here as to how these issues can be addressed in QGIS or whether or not a suitable solution is in the pipeline for development. The product has matured rapidly in the past few years and the release of QGIS 3 recently has been another huge leap forward.

This group is a great place to have a discussion about how other people are using QGIS and to get some friendly advice on how other community members would approach an issue.

Look forward to talking more.

Marco Giana

Mar 22, 2018, 10:28:42 PM3/22/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernard

There is also a heap of plugins which have been created which may do what you need if QGIS does not nave the functionally out of the box. Had been a valuable resource for me

Marco Giana

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Burnart <Bur...@cobweb.com.au> wrote:
[...]

Neil Bombardier

Sep 24, 2018, 11:03:29 PM9/24/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
Well Hi everyone - I'm Neil GIS Technical Officer at Snowy Valleys Council in Tumbarumba NSW I've been using QGIS on and off for about 5 years now still getting my head around it but steadily improving.
We're a newly merged council so still getting a lot of the details worked out one half was an Intramaps / QGIS setup the other a MapInfo/Exponare setup so post-merger the decision is slowly being made to move to a QGIS / Intramaps setup with a couple users using MapInfo.

Most of my background comes from ESRI with a dash of Mapinfo so I'll probably be through some newbie questions around everyone once in a while.

Tyson Hillyard

Nov 14, 2018, 1:12:00 AM11/14/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi All,
I'm the Survey Manager at Aerometrex and an avid user and proponent for QGIS use. I've got myself involved with PostGIS Databases in QGIS, a whole lot of data manipulation for flight planning, ground control, data archiving and metadata supplies.
Totally love using QGIS.

I hope to get some support out of this group and hope i can support others too.
My specialities are in Surveying and Geodesy, but keen to learn about scripting for QGIS and custom plugins for use in my day to day tasks.

Cheers,
Tyson!

Jonah Sullivan

Nov 14, 2018, 1:21:13 AM11/14/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Howdy Tyson.

I'm facilitating a workshop on developing QGIS plugins next week. I'll post my materials after the workshop.

Message has been deleted

Thomas Grant MacDonald

Apr 18, 2019, 7:44:19 PM4/18/19
to QGIS Australia User Group
Howdy guys and gals, my name is Tom and I work as a landscape architect/urban designer at a large engineering firm in Melbourne. My office typically uses ArcGIS for our geospatial mapping needs, however at my previous firm we utilized QGIS, and I personally use QGIS at home for various project and research needs.  I am still a beginner but I enjoy learning more about QGIS's capabilities and am happy to be a part of this great group.

Cheers,
Tom

ahas...@loddon.vic.gov.au

May 2, 2019, 7:29:08 PM5/2/19
to QGIS Australia User Group

Hi all,
I am a Technical Officer with Loddon Shire Council (previously positions include IT Assistant) and am responsible to keeping QGIS installations up to date on approx 15 staff pc's.
I also do some mapping in regards to our Works department road management plan defects, inspections, planned works, weed mapping, kerbside waste and recycling collections, and more.
Anne

Paulo Vitor Salgado

Jun 12, 2019, 1:11:50 AM6/12/19
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My name is Paulo, I'm from Brazil and I'm living in Sydney for two months. My wife came to study English and the whole family came together.

In Brazil I worked with large mapping, geoprocessing and remote sensing projects using Linux, QGIS, Postgis and GDAL.

I am looking for GIS job in Australia. If anyone knows of an opportunity and can send me, I will be grateful

Thank you

Paulo Vitor Salgado

David Va

Dec 10, 2019, 3:00:21 AM12/10/19
to QGIS Australia User Group

Hi All,

Great to meet you all. I've successfully used QGIS since 2012 in my consulting business for map production and before that for viewing spatial data. And have been a modest financial supporter to QGIS.

I'm further developing a open source database template/functions (has been over many years now) for mineral exploration with postgres/postgis and suggest/support QGIS in this project for viewing data processed in postgres/postgis.

I've been a bit behind with QGIS developments for the last 2-3 years so I'm trying to catch up with the developing 3D abilities. And I am also looking at using QGIS for certain data capture/entry/loading tasks into the above postgres database template.

David

Rae Allen

Dec 17, 2019, 6:43:59 PM12/17/19
to QGIS Australia User Group
I work as a Product Development Manager at the ABC where I use QGIS to define the ABC regions. I am currently using it for a project aggregating emergency alerts from across Australia.

Andrew Jeffrey

Dec 17, 2019, 7:00:43 PM12/17/19
to Australian and New Zealand QGIS User Group
Hi Rae,

Welcome to the user group, great to hear you are finding use in QGIS at work.

You'll find some interesting conversations and a large number of helpful people on this mailing list. Don't hesitate to start a discussion on any aspects of QGIS or data that you are interested in.

Also, a reasonably new resource that you might also be interested in is the presentations from the Foss4g (Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial) Oceania conference. There are plenty of QGIS presentations on there that may spike some interest - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbqmnF77HxLCmO9d7LrEbpg

All the best,

Andrew

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 10:44 AM Rae Allen <rae....@gmail.com> wrote:
I work as a Product Development Manager at the ABC where I use QGIS to define the ABC regions. I am currently using it for a project aggregating emergency alerts from across Australia.

Phil Wyatt

Dec 17, 2019, 7:46:16 PM12/17/19
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com

Welcome aboard Rae – I am sure you will get plenty of support here. If you are looking for symbols for alerts levels etc just yell out as I have them for a couple of states (given they are different in each state!). I also have some style files for cyclones that match the BOM ftp downloads if you are interested.

Cheers - Phil

Ken Dowling

Dec 29, 2019, 4:37:44 PM12/29/19
to QGIS Australia User Group
G'day. I'm the amateur here and a Kwaussie.

Started mapping for orienteering in NZ and since 1996 have been using specialist orienteering Swiss cartography software OCAD.

In retirement I produce community maps and also trail maps for bush walkers, mountain bikers & trail runners in Victoria's spa country. Learning QGIS to support the current mapper for the Great Dividing Trail Assn which developed 4 long distance multi-use trails Ballarat - Daylesford - Bendigo (now known as the Goldfields Track) and Daylesford - Bacchus Marsh (Lerderderg Track).

I am hoping QGIS will also enable us to publish our maps on Avenza.

Haere ra, Ken

Michael Dufty

Dec 30, 2019, 8:10:49 AM12/30/19
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi Ken,
I'm an orienteer too.  I've even had a go at starting an Orienteering map in QGIS, but fairly quickly worked out it is better just used as a tool to get information into open orienteeringmapper (or probably OCAD but I don't have a licence).  Also great for lots of other things.

Ken Dowling

Dec 30, 2019, 3:25:05 PM12/30/19
to QGIS Australia User Group
Good to meet up Michael.  Yes OCAD & OOM's focus on orienteering makes those products much easier to use for orienteering & rogaining maps.  In Australasia there are 3 of us who use it extensively for trail type mapping & some other uses.

In the Great Dividing Trail Assn QGIS is used to manage trail assets and maintenance, not trail cartography - yet. Our Goldfields Track maps were done by the state mapping arm. I did the more recent Lerderderg Tk in OCAD and as part of learning I will do it in QGIS for comparison. QGIS is likely to make it easier to find people for continued maintenance of our maps plus we can sell digital on Avenza as well as Pretex in the Visitor Centres.

Maybe catch up in person at a major event.

Tyson Hillyard

Dec 30, 2019, 6:12:28 PM12/30/19
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Golly, I wonder how many Orienteers are here? I'm one too, president of Wallaringa Orienteers in South Australia, surveyor/photogrammetrist, and GIS enthusiast/professional.
Perhaps we need a meet up at Easter?
Cheers
Tyson Hillyard

Colin Mazengarb

Jan 10, 2020, 5:48:14 AM1/10/20
to QGIS Australia User Group
A brief introduction. My name is Colin Mazengarb and I am a government geologist based in Tasmania. I use a variety of GIS software, mainly ArcGIS and QGIS in my work. I also run an occasional gis training course for geotechnical practitioners in my spare time. I have recently created a blog at gis4geotechs.blogspot.com where I am posting some specific QGIS tips that pertain to geological and geotechnical data, using Mineral Resources Tasmania data as examples. I am hoping some of you may find these helpful.

Phil Wyatt

Jan 10, 2020, 6:03:22 AM1/10/20
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
Welcome aboard from another Taswegian!