Future of the CLT Network

Louise C

Jul 12, 2021, 12:24:22 AM7/12/21
to Australian CLT Network
Dear all

I hope you are well well during COVID. We are in extraordinary times and the need for supportive homes and communities is ever more highlighted.

I am contacting you to gauge interest and aspirations regarding how the CLT movement (and friends) might communicate and collaborate from here. I say "and friends" because COVID amongst other things is triggering an upswell in groups looking to set up CLTs or similar entities to steward and protect land, and/or provide affordable housing, including developing frameworks for formally returning land to Aboriginal ownership.

This google group and mailing list has been dormant but does not need to stay that way. There is capacity to restart it as a channel for communication, but it is more limited than originally conceived, as Google has moved all of the previous document sharing capacities to google docs, of which not everyone is a fan.

There are existing facebook community pages that could be expanded and that allow the posting of files, but again, not everyone likes or uses facebook. So I am asking you all, dear members, as to your preferences on these or other alternatives. There appears to be a growing desire to access ideas, models, and people, and increasingly an interest in how to enable crowdfunding, share purchase, and other models for collective buying power or fundraising, and it makes far more sense for people to share knowledge than for projects to falter while people try to reinvent the wheel.

Please post your thoughts and preferences, including if you no longer want to receive messages.

kind regards
Louise

Wayne WOOD

Jul 12, 2021, 2:40:40 AM7/12/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon Louise,

I don't mind using Google products largely because they already have all my meta data and it's a bit late worrying about any further data they might collect. It's not that we'd be discussing anything personal in a CLT group anyway. So, on on, once more into the breach dear friends and curs'd be him who cries - I didn't know that Google knows what color undies I buy.

Wayne.

Lisa Colley

Jul 12, 2021, 2:40:53 AM7/12/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise,

Thanks for contacting me. I would like to continue to be connected to this group and this movement.

Thanks for your dogged contributions.

I'm happy with any of the platforms you mentioned; gmail or facebook and would also adapt to any suggested alternatives

Count me in

Best

Lisa Colley

Karl Composter

Jul 12, 2021, 2:41:04 AM7/12/21
to Australian CLT Network
Hi Louise,

Good to hear from you. I’d be quite happy for this group to re-invigorate itself right here. There has indeed been a lot more interest in the topic.

Our little project at Windfall Commons has recently received some seed funding so we are moving forward with our planner.

Cheers,

Gary Flomenhoft

Jul 12, 2021, 2:41:18 AM7/12/21
to Australian CLT Network

Dear Louise and group members,

I agree we need a platform to share ideas, and especially about fundraising for purchase of property or construction costs.  We have completed all the steps in creating our pilot project CLT on the Southern Moreton Bay islands and building our first house at https://smbi-clt.org.au/.  The CLT owns the land.

One opportunity for supporters is to help us finance construction costs.  We need $150,000.  The banks are reluctant to finance CLTs so far.  We have about $80,000 possibly committed.  We are paying 4% interest if anyone wants to support our project. $5000-$25,000 would be the ideal investment.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Gary Flomenhoft, PhD

Board Member SMBI-CLT

Partner, CLT Associates

https://communitylandtrust.com.au/

Jul 12, 2021, 2:41:32 AM7/12/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise
yes please keep me in the network
definitely interested more than ever
I would be open to use any platform that gives us the freedom and confidence that everyone wants

I will scope out possible ways to information share
I suppose people are concerned about data collection and privacy.

kind regards
Joy

Andrew Paul

Jul 12, 2021, 2:41:41 AM7/12/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Gary Flomenhoft, Louise Crabtree
Hi Louise,
Thanks for the email and nice to hear from you.
Yes Gary and I are particularly interested in how to “enable crowdfunding, share purchase, and other models for collective buying power or fundraising”, in particular for the first home that we will be building for the Southern Moreton Bay Islands CLT.
We would prefer to see interest payments going back to a community rather than to a bank.
I look forward to communicating with you and the network about this. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Paul
0433 253 248

pnka

Jul 14, 2021, 10:03:14 PM7/14/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise.

Would like to continue on mailing list. Am open to facebook, google, etc.

Kind regards
Patricia Kath

Sent from my Galaxy

Jul 14, 2021, 10:03:25 PM7/14/21
to Australian CLT Network
I’m keen to remain connected to this conversation. Living in Townsville now and seeing firsthand the impact of housing affordability impacting on homelessness. Community groups up here are trying to find their own solutions. This could be an option.

pastor

Jul 14, 2021, 10:03:38 PM7/14/21
to Australian CLT Network
Hi
Happy to be in the loop, don't mind which, and always looking for advice and help as we still pursue encouraging a CLT as the best mechanism for creating affordable housing in our region.
Michael

Steph Zannakis

Jul 20, 2021, 6:14:12 PM7/20/21
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, josam...@protonmail.com, De ahna, Luke Reade, Trudy Juriansz, Sion Zivetz, Tim Davies, Erin Young, Marcel Schuppenhauer, James Blyth, Reuban (BB-Stock), Mark Wilson
And here's another amazing example of Collective Consciousness stirring....

Great to hear from you Louise.

A few of us have been brushing up on your CLT Phd recently.

We have been catapulted into action looking to secure a property that meets many aspirations of hosting gatherings and shared enterprise along with a modest 10-15 coliving/cohousing styled dwellings. Ethical investment and private capital have been secured to make a bid with confidence.

Our group's aspirations are of starting a mycelium styled land trust, including the recognition of First Nation Authority to Care for Country within the 3 part board structure. Residents and NGOs to make up the other two parts, including one seat for council.

A membership process to the CLT will manage the provision of affordable housing, to enable custodianship of country, with regenerative organic practices, and its broader community. Ultimately it is hoped the CLT will be able to offer housing for elders and a modest funding stream, paying the rent. Ground leases containing land management agreements granted to Housing Cooperatives and Life Essential Social Enterprises will take responsibility for the building stock and the community development funding streams.

As you know, there's so much potential with the CLT model to work towards social, environmental, historical, economical first Nations justice. Even with community funding, separate to banks and government funding.

How are your efforts going with the City of Sydney Council?

I look forward to where this can all go.

Go well,
Steph
a member of a SEQld CLT working group

in...@macll.org.au

Jul 27, 2021, 3:21:47 AM7/27/21
to Australian CLT Network

Hi Louise and great to hear from you. MACLL here in little old Castlemaine has been in something of a hiatus - combination of COVID and the brick wall every CLT startup ends up hitting. I've been preoccupied with a new business venture (I now know why it's called busi-ness) but am calling a meeting later in the year to reinvigorate the membership.
I'm happy to keep this group as a contact point.
Thanks for keeping the faith!
Regards,
Doug Falconer