New Melbourne Alphas?

Mark Sanders

Jul 19, 2019, 12:42:52 AM7/19/19
to Aussie Highways
Hi all

I just picked up a copy of the latest Melway, and discovered quite a few new alpha routes in Melbourne's outskirts. These new routes are...

B77 - Sayers Rd/Old Geelong Rd (Fitzgerald Rd to Derrimut Rd)
A81 - Leakes Rd (Fitzgerald Rd to Derrimut Rd)
A91/B91 - Palmers Rd/Dunnings Rd (Western Fwy to Point Cook Rd)
A93 - Forsyth Rd (Old Geelong Rd to Leakes Rd)
B94 - Dohertys Rd (Grieve Pde to Derrimut Rd)
B668 - Pound Rd (Shrives Rd to Narre-Warren Cranbourne Rd)

Also MR56 has been shortened at its western end due to the new B94 route. It now ends at the Grieve Pde/Dohertys Rd roundabout
MR77 and MR40 are still marked in the western suburbs

I know there was a revamp taking place, but I was expecting new MR routes. Perhaps this is correct, or maybe Melway did a stuff up.

Would be interested to find out

Cheers

Mark Sanders

barbs

Jul 23, 2019, 6:17:57 AM7/23/19
to Aussie Highways
This is very interesting! Will pick up the latest Melway now sooner than I had planned to check it out. I do love how Melway's always have the best detail & information (in my opinion anyway)

MisterMarcus

Jul 26, 2019, 5:51:29 AM7/26/19
to Aussie Highways
Surely this can't be right?

'A' routes are supposed to be for major inter- or intra-state highways, or roads like the old Princes Highway through Geelong that's been bypassed by an M route.

Using 'A' for local roads like Leakes Road and Palmers Road makes no sense. Especially when similar surrounding local roads are all 'C' roads.

Peter Freeman

Jul 27, 2019, 1:02:16 AM7/27/19
to Aussie Highways
Yes, interesting and somewhat puzzling.

Regarding the usage of the A prefix - it's been allocated very sparingly for rural Victoria, but in the metro area (where the numbers will be 7x, 8x, and 9x; and xx, xxx) it makes sense that there will be A's, B's and C's. Palmers, Leakes and Forsyth are all good candidates for an A because each one has major expansion and extension proposals. For example, Palmers Road and its corridor extensions will become a major N-S route, acting as a partial outer orbital until the OMR is constructed. Therefore it is awarded the first prize: A91, the most significant non-motorway metro alpha-numeric.

It seems that someone (VicRoads?) in Melbourne is working on a very long-term vision, which is welcome.

Regarding these alpha-numerics appearing in Melway now - it's perhaps another sign (amongst various recent hints) that the metro rollout is approaching. ie more than just the few Cxxx's on the outskirts. This development also indicates that it will be, whenever it happens, a very gradual rollout. by the way, have we seen any metro B's yet?

Of course, it could be an editing failure (or a leak) on the part of VicRoads or Melway, but they haven't just made those interesting numbers up.

Mark Sanders

Jul 27, 2019, 4:50:52 PM7/27/19
to Aussie Highways
I do recall seeing a post about an A51 sign appearing on Plenty Rd at McKimmies Rd recently. Perhaps this is the start of a rollout

Sam Laybutt

Jul 28, 2019, 9:59:36 PM7/28/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The new routes are part of the Melbourne metro numbering which will be A & B. The existing C routes were allocated same when they were part of the rural numbering. Hopefully there will be some progressive changing of numbers or prefixes to iron out any legacy issues.

Jul 29, 2019, 1:13:17 AM7/29/19
to Aussie Highways
So no C-routes for Melbourne metro area?

Regarding the numeric zones, my belief was that 1-6 were for rural use and 7-9 for metro. I assumed that the early appearance of C7xx's was a tentative launch of metro, carefully beginning at the edges!

A different interpretation could be that the 7 zone is a ring-shaped rural zone just outside the city, with 8 and 9 being internal (Greater Melbourne) …?

I must say that I'm not impressed with the alpha-numeric systems, either in their state-to-state differences, the inter-state non-uniqueness, or many of the Vic details. Fortunately, I also believe that it is all of no consequence for the public's navigation purposes, because Joe Public does not understand or care what the numbers mean - and why should he? The fact that a route has a number that can be followed is sufficient for him.

Sam Laybutt

Jul 29, 2019, 3:18:00 AM7/29/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I doubt there will be any new C routes in Melbourne metro area.

Jul 29, 2019, 4:28:44 AM7/29/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The A51 signs currently appear on the first stage of the Plenty Road upgrade, from McKimmies Road to Bush Boulevard. I would expect the A51 signage to be further extended up to Bridge Inn Road once that stage gets built. (Also, by the way, the signage for Child’s Road leaves a nice little space for a route number down the track.)

As for the western alphas shown in the new Melway, there’s no sign (pun not intended) of those numbers on the ground. My guess is that a document relating to the Western Metro MRPV scheme has landed in the hands of Melway and the numbers shown - planned, specimen or otherwise - somehow ended up in the book. (Same could go for the South Eastern Metro project for Pounds Road.) Of course, this could also be a massive copyright trap scheme, playing off the presumed ambivalence of drivers to route numbering schemes.

Cheers,
Alex.

Omegaville

Jul 31, 2019, 5:23:14 AM7/31/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Spot on Peter - route numbers are of interest to the roadgeeks but not
Joe Public.

Nihat

Jul 31, 2019, 5:38:38 AM7/31/19
to Aussie Highways

Sam Laybutt

Jul 31, 2019, 9:47:05 PM7/31/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Apparently B668 at Narre Warren has been signed. Anyone been out there?

Aug 7, 2019, 12:52:55 AM8/7/19
to Aussie Highways
Yes, has been signed but only at the northern Shrives Rd end.

Is this now the shortest 'B' route in Victoria?
IMG_20190807_132221990_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190807_131837158_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190807_131357035_HDR.jpg

Harley Bird

Aug 14, 2019, 10:01:15 PM8/14/19
to Aussie Highways
Yes, it would make it the shortest currently if it only runs from Shrives Rd to Narre Warren-Cranbourne Rd, it'd make it just over 3km. Baanip Boulevard (B130) is just over 4km so it's the shortest at present.

Mark Sanders

Sep 29, 2019, 10:01:03 AM9/29/19
to Aussie Highways
I can report yet another new Alpha today. I noticed signage on Epping Rd for a new B7 series route along Ohearns Rd in Epping (B719?)

It will be interesting to see how it will be signed on the Hume Freeway end once the interchsange is complete

Mark Sanders

MisterMarcus

Oct 10, 2019, 2:19:13 AM10/10/19
to Aussie Highways
Saw another new one just now. Near Essendon station, listing Mt Alexander Road as A60

Peter Freeman

Oct 10, 2019, 11:27:58 PM10/10/19
to Aussie Highways
Well, there goes my understanding that 1-6 was rural, 7-9 metro.

Omegaville

Oct 11, 2019, 8:44:15 AM10/11/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com, Peter Freeman

That's only for two-digit routes.  A60 will be in place of/extending MR60 north from Flemington Rd up Mt Alexander Rd all the way to Essendon junction, where it meets MR37 (Lincoln Rd and Bulla Rd).  Whether Keilor Rd becomes A60 remains to be seen... MR60/A60 has replaced old NR79 so maybe it's possible.

South of the city it's most likely A60 will replace ALT NR1 on the Princes Hwy corridor (Kingsway (or Kings Way if you prefer), Queens Rd, Queens Way, Dandenong Rd. Lonsdale St (Dandenong) etc.).

Brad Forbes

Dec 4, 2019, 10:53:06 AM12/4/19
to Aussie Highways
Looks like more new signs are popping up, this time B91 Palmers Rd out west:

https://twitter.com/DSisourath/status/1202121525328891906?s=19

Alex Csar

Dec 4, 2019, 6:40:27 PM12/4/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
For those playing at home the most recent Melway had Palmers Road marked as A91, so maybe some of the info supplied to them was correct. That said I would have expected Palmers Road to get an A-prefix as it will form a major cross-suburban route between Calder Park and Point Cook once fully developed.

Cheers,
Alex.

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 2:53 am, Brad Forbes <bradfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like more new signs are popping up, this time B91 Palmers Rd out west:

https://twitter.com/DSisourath/status/1202121525328891906?s=19

Mark Sanders

Alex Csar

Dec 9, 2019, 8:02:18 PM12/9/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
My error. I realised that the pic was from south of the freeway, which would have been B91 anyway.

Cheers,
Alex.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/bd8857bd-d210-4f77-b58f-f90f50a8408a%40googlegroups.com.

MisterMarcus

Dec 10, 2019, 1:52:14 AM12/10/19
to Aussie Highways
Yes I actually had a look at the most recent Melway last week.

Definitely A91 north of the freeway, but B91 south.

MisterMarcus

Feb 1, 2020, 5:51:13 PM2/1/20
to Aussie Highways
As part of the Reservoir Level Crossing removal, they've made some changes to the intersection and added new road signs. All the new signs still have MRs on them, with no sign of coverplating or anything like that.

So any roll-out of Alphas seems like it's not going to be for a while, certainly not any sort of large scale or consistent roll-out.

Alex Csar

Feb 20, 2020, 12:05:07 AM2/20/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, down in Carrum the McLeod Road extension to the Nepean Highway has opened (along with the rest of the level crossing removal works) with an ID featuring a new alpha in place of the expected SR3 shield. Unfortunately the resolution is too low to pick the number exactly but it's definitely an A-prefix. (Sidebar: would this number take over the Mornington-Mount Martha section of the B110 once rolled out?)

Cheers,
Alex.

IMG_0488-945.jpg

Sam Laybutt

Feb 20, 2020, 1:00:45 AM2/20/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A50 for the Nepean Highway
Not sure on where it's going to transition to B110

May 10, 2020, 3:17:43 AM5/10/20
to Aussie Highways
I saw a brand new sign on Somerton Road near Greenvale today that didn't feature any route number at all.

Possibly just a typical screw-up....but I wonder if they're leaving out MR58 to prepare for a future alpha? Or possibly this section of Somerton Road is getting no Alpha at all?

MisterMarcus

Jul 2, 2020, 8:28:34 PM7/2/20
to Aussie Highways
On the Thompsons Road upgrade site, there's an image showing Thompsons Road as "A16"

Message has been deleted

Alex Csar

Jul 6, 2020, 3:11:40 AM7/6/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Those original routes were in the 2020 Melways (Edition 47).

Cheers,
Alex.

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 17:08, Owen Luby <owen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is that the 2021 Melways?

Alex Csar

Jul 13, 2020, 6:29:28 PM7/13/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Last night I was driving around Tarneit. (Full disclosure: I was viewing a car to buy, so it was a legitimate reason to be out during lockdown.) The intersection of Leakes Road and Sunset Views Boulevard featured an ID showing A81 (focal: Laverton / Williamstown). Of greater note, though, was an ID on Leakes Road WB for Derrimut Road showing A95 instead of C702.

Sorry that I couldn’t stop for photos - traffic wouldn’t allow it, and you can understand me not wanting to get out of the car unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Alex.

Alex Csar

Jul 16, 2020, 9:24:47 PM7/16/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I made an error in my last post - the A81 ID sign mentioned actually read “Williamstown / City” instead.

Further travels along Leakes Road a couple of nights back showed up ADs, IDs and RDs all showing A81. Signage at Forsyth Road also show A93 - funnily enough, it gives directions northbound towards Truganina even though no road has been built north of Leakes Road. (I expect a massive coverplate to be installed shortly.)

I haven’t travelled further to see if any of the other alphas are visible yet, although I have yet to see a B77 on Sayers Road.

Cheers,
Alex.

Alex Csar

Jul 26, 2020, 8:37:23 PM7/26/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I finally managed to take some photos on Saturday of signage along Leakes Road. Apart from previously mentioned signage was evidence of another new route, C815 on Foundation Road.

Cheers,
Alex.

Aevion

Jul 27, 2020, 9:46:38 PM7/27/20
to Aussie Highways
To me the new signage is a bit of a mix of QLD and NSW styles.

Asher Purvis

Sep 13, 2020, 9:39:15 AM9/13/20
to Aussie Highways
Hi! Always been fascinated by route numbering, and very exciting to see alphanumeric being rolled out across metro Melb.

I've kept an eye out - and have been able to notice a fair few pop up!

2. A60 on Cheltenham Rd approaching Dandenong - note that the MR9 and MR10 shields coverplate what I would assume to be 2 other alphas for Stud Rd and Cheltenham Rd.

3. (No photos sorry) South Gippsland Hwy (on the corner of the new Evans Rd/Hallam Rd intersection upgrade is signed as A21! Still signed as M420 on main approaches, but seems as though VicRoads is not coverplating local access roads.

4. Also saw a new sign (which has now been cover-plated) on Princes Hwy/Blackburn Rd signing Princes Hwy as A60, and Blackburn Rd as B29.

5. B716 on O'Herns Rd in Epping - note the lack of any focal point, likely to be M31 Hume Fwy/Somerton when O'Hern's road is finished! B716 could even extend all the way along Findon Rd when it is extended and duplicated to Plenty Road.

6. On North-East Link's interactive map - some new alphas are also revealed (http://nelprojectmap.u-c.com.au/index.html), M47 Greensborough Bypass, B43 Rosanna Rd, C939 for Greensborough Bypass local road, B970 for Elgar Rd.

Can't wait to see more pop up. Wish VicRoads would post something about it!

MisterMarcus

Sep 13, 2020, 5:50:01 PM9/13/20
to Aussie Highways
Interesting...so clearly A60 will go down Mt Alexander Road, through the old NR79 route in the city, and then out Dandenong Road.....

Also interesting with the O'Herns Road sign, that C729 is being kept for Epping Road/High Street. I thought that might be upgraded (although perhaps Edgars Rd and Dalton Rd will be the main A/B north-south roads in this area??)

markra...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2020, 4:12:28 AM9/14/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Actually, Epping Rd has been C729 in this area since the late 90s. This part is just north of the MR29/C729 transition, which happens at McDonalds Rd (MR58). I would say that the metro section would be given a B route of some description. I’d doubt it would be given an A designation, but I could be wrong

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sep 20, 2020, 5:30:57 AM9/20/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

And with all those, I'm officially out of roadgeeking.

Metropolitan Route Numbers, and by extension, freeway routes, National Routes and National Highways were the main reason I sought out this group in the first place.  It's been a good two decades but now it's time for me to give up.  I seriously dislike the alpha system... trying to turn our roads into Great Britain's system.  There's no M in FREEWAY dammit.

Signing off,

B.J.

ed24f1

Sep 20, 2020, 8:19:38 AM9/20/20
to Aussie Highways
Are the new alphas likely to replace State Routes eventually or are they safe?

MisterMarcus

Sep 20, 2020, 5:36:04 PM9/20/20
to Aussie Highways
From the thread, it seems that Hopkins Road and South Gippsland Highway are getting changes from their existing route. Both of which make enormous sense.

I'd imagine a few of the urban/rural fringe roads that were originally signed "C" will be upgraded to "A" or "B" now the development has caught up with them. It will be interesting to see how that interfaces with the existing route network (e.g. would Plenty Road or Wellington Road magically revert to a "C" road at some arbitrary point where it's judged as a rural road?)

Asher Purvis

Sep 21, 2020, 4:28:55 AM9/21/20
to Aussie Highways
Definitely interesting to see what they'll do to the roads which transverse through urban centres and then become rural/semi-rural roads. Especially because C727 (Plenty Road) is very developed until Mernda, then becomes a rural road to Whittlesea. Where does C727 end and A51 start for Plenty Road?
Also will be interesting to see roads like B110 Nepean Hwy transition. As it has been noted, A50 was seen on a Nepean Hwy sign, where does B110 end and A50 start?

Paul Rands

Sep 21, 2020, 5:20:33 AM9/21/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Well IMO that's a silly reason to give it away. And outside of Melbourne, there's still a full set of SRs in WA, plus plenty still in service in QLD, NT as well.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

MisterMarcus

Oct 7, 2020, 5:17:07 PM10/7/20
to Aussie Highways
Interestingly, a few of these have now started appearing on the Wikipedia pages. Not sure if it's anything official or just a fellow roadgeek, but still....

stuarthwy87

Oct 7, 2020, 5:37:52 PM10/7/20
to Aussie Highways
Its me whos updating them
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 10, 2020, 5:32:19 AM10/10/20
to Aussie Highways
Hi Everyone

Just updating Wikipedia where I stumbled upon the C612.

Does C612 go to NSW or not

Thanks,
~~~~

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:01:05 PM UTC+11 kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87) wrote:
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_road_routes_in_the_Northern_Territory

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 8:38:15 AM UTC+11 arnhemhwya36 (formerly stuarthwy87) wrote:
and the same goes with the NT alphas

barbs

Oct 10, 2020, 8:16:08 AM10/10/20
to Aussie Highways

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 11, 2020, 1:19:05 AM10/11/20
to Aussie Highways
But there isn't any signs in Delegate, NSW

time to report a vandalizer.

Sam Laybutt

Oct 11, 2020, 8:42:54 PM10/11/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It definitely ends at the NSW Border.

Oct 23, 2020, 12:21:15 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
Some new overhead signage along the Monash Fwy has revealed another new alpha, B675 for Belgrave-Hallam Road.

The Princes Hwy exit also has new signage showing Alt-1 and C101 on what appears to be a coverplate.

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 23, 2020, 2:02:46 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
time to update wikipedia :)

Mappinson

Oct 23, 2020, 3:32:59 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
I can't wait to map all these new routes, and to make some more fridge magnets

DSCF1409a.jpgDSCF1413a.jpg

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 23, 2020, 6:19:29 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
noice

Sam Laybutt

Oct 25, 2020, 8:55:16 PM10/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
These are actually really cool

Nov 1, 2020, 10:26:50 PM11/1/20
to Aussie Highways
Was driving down Fitzgerald Road in Laverton North today. New signage at Dohertys Road (B94) and Leakes Road (A81) showing some new of the new alphas.

Fitzgerald Road is signed "A77", so clearly it's just extending the B77  from Old Geelong Road

kakaduhwy21

Nov 5, 2020, 2:36:14 AM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
@MisterMarcus

Does A77 run on the entire Fitzgerald Road

I'm currently updating wikipedia and it looks bad

Thanks

MisterMarcus

Nov 5, 2020, 5:57:34 AM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
I only saw signs at the Dohertys Road and Leakes Road intersection, where they'd installed new signage. Other intersections still had old signage with no alphas.

kakaduhwy21

Nov 5, 2020, 3:12:35 PM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
thanks

MisterMarcus

Nov 8, 2020, 12:02:55 AM11/8/20
to Aussie Highways
More observations from that area:

B94 is completely signed from Grieve Parade to Palmers Road. At Grieve Parade, I saw one sign directing B94 north: possibly will continue along Blackshaws Road as per existing MR56, or perhaps will run along Grieve Parade to Princes Hwy?

A77 along Fitzgerald Road uses 'Delahey' and 'Taylors Lakes' as some of its focals. I wonder if that means it will run along Boundary Road, Station Road and Kings Road? Part of the existing Kings Road is signed MR77 so it would make sense....

MisterMarcus

Nov 23, 2020, 4:07:49 AM11/23/20
to Aussie Highways
At the newly-opened Forsyth Road and Old Geelong Road intersection, Forsyth Road is signed 'A93' in both directions.

Old Geelong Road seems to be signed C701 on a coverplate. Ashcroft Avenue also has a coverplate over a route number.

barbs

Nov 24, 2020, 8:16:45 AM11/24/20
to Aussie Highways
It would be nice if Vicroads released a plan of proposed alphanumeric changes in Melbourne

Paul Rands

Nov 25, 2020, 1:04:56 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Marcus. I guess that now we're seeing alphas going on coverplates over shields, we can say conversion of Metro Routes has officially kicked off.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Sam Laybutt

Nov 25, 2020, 1:29:12 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Old Geelong Rd is currently C701, but on a coverplate over whatever the future alpha-numeric route will be, is what I took from Marcus' post below?

Nov 25, 2020, 3:17:46 AM11/25/20
to Aussie Highways
Hello MisterMarcus

Why are there some C routes that get converted from the old system, then switch to a A or B route? Can't they plan the number and predict the number will change?

Sam Laybutt

Nov 25, 2020, 3:21:51 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
At the time the Statewide Route Numbering Scheme (SRNS) was rolled out in the late 1990s there was no commitment to also convert all the metropolitan Melbourne routes to alpha-numeric. Since that time the extent of urban development on Melbourne's fringe has increased significantly, so roads that were previously appropriate as C-routes are now more appropriate as A-or-B routes. Any route numbering system should be continuously reviewed and changed where necessary to respond to changing road network conditions.

Nov 25, 2020, 4:02:00 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

It's now how it reads to me, but if Marcus could clarify that would be good

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

MisterMarcus

Nov 25, 2020, 5:15:42 AM11/25/20
to Aussie Highways
Yes, I saw several signs that had C701 on a coverplate, presumably covering another, newer, alpha.

Ashcroft Avenue, the extension of Old Geelong Road towards Williams Landing, had a blank coverplate over what I assume was an alpha.

So my assumption is that this new alpha will run along Old Geelong Road and onto Ashcroft Avenue.

Message has been deleted

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Dec 18, 2020, 6:04:25 PM12/18/20
to Aussie Highways
I went on it last Tuesday, not very well signed

MisterMarcus

Dec 20, 2020, 12:23:06 AM12/20/20
to Aussie Highways
With Palmers Road upgrades beginning to open, alot of signage (Sayers Road, Leakes Road, Doherteys Road, and Boundary Road) containing new alphas.

Boundary Road west of Palmers Road is signed "B92". Boundary Road east of Palmers Road has an alpha that has been coverplated.

Interestingly, the signs on Derrimut/Hopkins Road shown by Alex Csar above, that had "A95" on them, have now been coverplated with "C702" alphas.

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 23, 2020, 8:13:16 AM12/23/20
to Aussie Highways
Along with that, new M79 Calder Highway Signs are appearing near the A79/A790 junction. A79 is slowly starting to get M79 now.

MisterMarcus

Dec 27, 2020, 4:57:08 PM12/27/20
to Aussie Highways
The new citybound exit to Duncans Road is now open. Interestingly, all of the freeway signs have "C108" on a coverplate.

Duncans Road itself probably wouldn't justify an A/B route....but it made me wonder if perhaps a loop route might be the plan, running along Duncans Road, then onto Aviation and Point Cook Roads back to Laverton...

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 8, 2021, 7:16:49 AM1/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Link to one on the new M79's https://goo.gl/maps/DvqApFtx7VnZ3cDo8

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 8, 2021, 11:30:27 PM1/8/21
to Aussie Highways
On a little side note, but will the future M47 Greensborough Bypass only be 3km long? Isn't that too short for an M route? and if that's the case, here would be a list of NSW M routes:

M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 (Alfords Pt Road), M7, M8, M9, M10 (Outer Syd Orb) M12, M15, M23, M25, M28, M31, M32 (Past Lithgow), M37, M40 and M65

Alex Csar

Jan 8, 2021, 11:39:37 PM1/8/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I used the new Duncans Road exit last weekend (the new on-ramp is yet to open) - the IDs show C108 on a coverplate to Werribee but B861 uncovered to Werribee South.

I also drove Robinsons Road/Palmers Road, which is almost complete (still under a 60 limit while final works are completed) - Boundary Road westward carries B92 (eastward signs are blank covered at this time).

Cheers,
Alex.

Peter Freeman

Jan 27, 2021, 11:34:47 PM1/27/21
to Aussie Highways
Thames Promenade ( Chelsea, Vic ) at its remodelled intersection with Wells Road has a new alpha. I think it was C996 (not sure - I didn't look carefully enough!).

Wesley Au

Jan 28, 2021, 10:32:43 PM1/28/21
to Aussie Highways
Just to confirm the above with my dashcam screenshot below.
  • Wells Road will be assigned C989, at least between Edithvale Road to Thompson Road.  I'm not sure what the new alpha would be for Wells Road north of Edithvale Road though (currently SR23).
  • Thames Promenade will be assigned C996 between Station St Chelsea to Riverend Road Bangholme (and beyond?)
I'm confused as to why they wouldn't continue any new replacement alpha for SR23 all the way down the newly signed C989. Unless C989 would also replace SR23, but that would make even less sense.  It just seems like a waste of route numbers to me.

Other new alphanumeric routes I've observed recently in the SE suburbs which have since been coverplated.
  • A25 Frankston-Dandenong Road
  • B29 Blackburn Road
  • A60 Princes Highway (currently Alt-NR1)
I have dashcam footage of B29 x A60 stored somewhere.  I'll need to dig it out if anyone wants proof of it.

Sam Laybutt

Jan 30, 2021, 6:01:33 AM1/30/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wesley - welcome to the group!

I'd love you to post the B29 and A60 signs when you get a chance - good to keep a record of these for posterity like we did with the NSW alphanumeric rollout from about 2004 to 2013.

A friend of mine was down at Chelsea and sent me the attached photos of C989 and C996. Looks like C996 is only the short section of Thames Prom between Wells Road and the M11, for now at least. There is space on the sign shown in your photo for a future extension?

The way Vicroads allocates route numbers tends to correlate directly with declared 'Arterial' roads so that might explain some of the oddities popping up around Melbourne where a sensible route for navigation purposes might not be a declared road.

Jan 31, 2021, 3:19:08 AM1/31/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Those new signs look good. Nice to see VicRoads starting to get their design mojo back

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Owen Luby

Jan 31, 2021, 5:52:31 PM1/31/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
New signs are definitely an improvement! I notice that all Victorian signs seem to be damaged or vandalised due to their low height, unlike NSW where signs are generally raised fairly high off the ground. I hope new alpha sign installation requirements would change to avoid unnecessary replacing.

Feb 1, 2021, 3:23:32 AM2/1/21
to Aussie Highways
Geez, such a high number. I'm starting to not like the rollout of the new alphas. The B routes were in a way where they all end in 0. Now some A and B routes, are less significant (like A81 or B668) than numbers like C404 or C754.

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 1, 2021, 3:23:45 AM2/1/21
to Aussie Highways
Nice pics, also off topic, whens the next OzRoads update going to happen?

The numbers also make me think that we will see route numbers like C1003 etc.

Is C996 also signed on the M11 motorway?

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 1, 2021, 3:24:00 AM2/1/21
to Aussie Highways
The problem in Victoria is that signs just get vandalised quickly, no matter what especially in Frankston or Dandenong. Here in NSW, usually the front part rarely gets vandalised but the back is always vandalised. Not always though but this sign (has been replaced) was vandalised at the back end one day (I'm serious) after it was replaced. :( Certainly doesn't look good at all but it's the sad truth. I'd wish we were like Singapore or Sweden.

Personally, the one place that I think has the most vandalism here in Oz is Maryborough, Vic but hey, it's better than other places.

Paul Rands

Feb 2, 2021, 4:01:47 AM2/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Higher signs mean the vandals get more creative!

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 6, 2021, 2:17:12 AM2/6/21
to Aussie Highways
Saw this on reddit, very sad how vandals waste their time and money on ruining historic places like this. But Paul, definitely agree with you like whats shown here or here. At least vandalism isn't as bad as Redfern, Newtown, Marrickville or out of all, which I think is the worst in NSW is Pendle Hill, where I absolutely detest passing through or going, where some sort of vandalism will be around every 50m.

Wesley Au

Feb 10, 2021, 6:17:42 AM2/10/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's my poor screen capture from my dash cam of a now-coverplated sign on Princes Highway (A60) intersecting with the southern end of Blackburn Rd (B29).  This was dated back in March 2020.

B29 Blackburn Rd.png

Paul Rands

Feb 10, 2021, 9:10:39 PM2/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Nice find. Good use of a very limited space for signage too.

Sam Laybutt

Feb 10, 2021, 9:20:35 PM2/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
What a horrible sign 😳😳

Sent: Wednesday, 10 February 2021 7:17 PM

To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

Paul Rands

Feb 10, 2021, 9:25:57 PM2/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

These are very common in Vic and whilst the designs are always compromised, it does what it is intended.

Sam Laybutt

Feb 10, 2021, 9:55:59 PM2/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Narrow format signs are common in Vic, but not walls of text with no clear distinction as to which destinations apply to which direction.

Terrible sign on the left, good sign on the right.

These are very common in Vic and whilst the designs are always compromised, it does what it is intended.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
WWW: http://www.expressway.online/
On 11/02/2021 1:20 pm, Sam Laybutt wrote:
What a horrible sign 😳😳

Here's my poor screen capture from my dash cam of a now-coverplated sign on Princes Highway (A60) intersecting with the southern end of Blackburn Rd (B29).  This was dated back in March 2020.

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 11, 2021, 1:46:43 AM2/11/21
to Aussie Highways
none of them are good as the sign below.
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 18.56.43.png

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 14, 2021, 7:45:08 AM2/14/21
to Aussie Highways
M43 too and M63 too.

RoadGeek453

Feb 22, 2021, 9:20:09 PM2/22/21
to Aussie Highways
Cover-plating on Chandler Hwy (Not sure from when), and new signs on Eastern Fwy for Chandler Hwy and Burke Rd which have coverplates over them!

MisterMarcus

Mar 6, 2021, 4:42:19 AM3/6/21
to Aussie Highways
The Tarneit Road extension across the railway line (replacing the Cherry Street level crossing) is almost complete, and new signage is already in place.

Tarneit Road is shown as B870 on the new signs.

The Old Princes Highway through Werribee and Hoppers Crossing is shown as "A96"

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 10, 2021, 8:39:22 PM3/10/21
to Aussie Highways
B980 has also appeared on the SRNS for Centre Dandenong Road as you can see here

Damo Cooper

Mar 11, 2021, 8:40:23 PM3/11/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. First time poster here. I'm from western Melbourne where a number of the new road numbers are being rolled out. Most of them have been covered here already.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Ashcroft Avenue in Williams Landing which carries the number B840. This sign on Palmers Road appeared uncovered a few months ago and still remains uncovered. All others are covered up.

Cheers.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/3606b5a0-d555-40a6-9df2-f582a5a2b76fn%40googlegroups.com.
IMG20210310190313.jpg

MisterMarcus

Mar 11, 2021, 9:01:35 PM3/11/21
to Aussie Highways
Now that is interesting, because Old Geelong Road (the extension of Ashcroft Avenue) has a bunch of new signs with the existing route "C701" on a coverplate over an obvious new route.

Looks like B840 might be it.

Brett Watkins

Mar 11, 2021, 9:06:34 PM3/11/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I saw B840 myself the other day didn’t realise it wasn’t reported here yet

It is loading more messages.