A31 appears again

Csanad Csutoros

Oct 7, 2019, 8:41:55 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been discussed, but earlier today saw an A31 (with ahead arrow) adjacent to the END FREEWAY sign at Medway, which if I remember correctly wasn't there in February (was dark and foggy and unexpected so no photo sorry). So not only is this technically incorrect,  but given the last bit of M31 at Holbrook was completed around the same approximate time as these silly alphanumerics were *officially* announced, there has never really been a need for A31. Csanad

Jason Kumar

Oct 7, 2019, 8:55:58 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
It's been there for a while as i drive to Canberra regularly. Funnily enough the sign right after says M31.

On Tue, 8 Oct. 2019, 11:41 am Csanad Csutoros, <csanad....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been discussed, but earlier today saw an A31 (with ahead arrow) adjacent to the END FREEWAY sign at Medway, which if I remember correctly wasn't there in February (was dark and foggy and unexpected so no photo sorry). So not only is this technically incorrect,  but given the last bit of M31 at Holbrook was completed around the same approximate time as these silly alphanumerics were *officially* announced, there has never really been a need for A31. Csanad

Csanad Csutoros

Oct 7, 2019, 9:06:01 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Of course this kind of error would not be possible with the pre alpha system 《end of gratuitous rant , sorry couldn't resist a sly dig once more after all these years 》. I suppose though at least in NSW the standardised boxed signs look not too bad, unlike the random messes that feature in most other states (certainly the eastern mainland ones :) )

Sam Laybutt

Oct 7, 2019, 9:33:42 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The equivalent error pre-alphas would be using the wrong shield, of which there were plenty of examples.

Oct 7, 2019, 9:34:55 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Looking on GSV it appeared between June and July 2018

Oct 7, 2019, 11:39:40 PM10/7/19
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes of course, or there was at least one example I am aware of from the mid 80s on the Melba Highway at one location (maybe more) where the shield was correct but missing the route numbering (I think 153 iirc). As I never visited this location again prior to Victoria's alphas being introduced, can't be sure if it stayed an empty shield, or was merely waiting to be allocated a number.

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 27, 2021, 8:40:08 PM6/27/21
to Aussie Highways
I have no words for this, but I saw another new coverplated A31 sign, right on this very sign here that proved the sign before wrong. I saw this on thursday at around 21:30, so I might be mistaken from the dark, but this is shocking.

Jason Kumar

Jun 28, 2021, 8:51:26 PM6/28/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yeh I forgot to comment, but I also saw the A31 coverplate on that sign as well (it's been there for about 2 months now). I feel like they are just playing with us now :P

Jason

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 29, 2021, 12:12:04 AM6/29/21
to Aussie Highways
I guarantee it's the same sign designer that did the Hume Motorway sign that Mark spotted near Albury.

Adrian Biankin

Jul 28, 2021, 10:41:20 PM7/28/21
to Aussie Highways

Adrian Biankin

Oct 24, 2021, 12:21:05 AM10/24/21
to Aussie Highways

Vincent

Oct 25, 2021, 12:56:20 AM10/25/21
to Aussie Highways
I don't think anyone would knock you for starting a new topic if you were so inclined? Beats dragging up years-old topics with tenuous links.

With the exception of the first sign you linked to, all those signs have been replaced with contemporary signage. The whole stretch of the Old Hume Highway from Mittagong to Berrima was chock full of black signs, plus the freeway greens you linked to. It's a pity they're gone, but the more dilapidated signs were barely readable by the end there.

AlienChex

Oct 25, 2021, 4:43:37 AM10/25/21
to Aussie Highways
That last link has state route 89 past Mittagong…. Did it really go that far or was that a misprint?

From what I recall SR 89 only went as far as Bargo (via Remeberance Dr)

Csanad Csutoros

Oct 25, 2021, 6:42:41 PM10/25/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
If I recall correctly it went as far as west of Berrima. To where the Berrima bypass and what is now known as Old Hume Highway meet (also where the Hume officially becomes a full M standard route or previously freeway standard heading towards Sydney, instead of merely being dual carriageway with grade separation only at major intersections).

Paul R

Oct 25, 2021, 7:51:44 PM10/25/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

State Route 89 ended at Berrima at the current Hume Hwy alignment

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Sam L

Oct 25, 2021, 8:21:18 PM10/25/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it was signed through Mittagong and Berrima
Hume Highway (currently unnumbered, formerly Metroad 7) southbound approaching the beginning of State Route 89 signage at The Cross Roads. The section of Hume Highway (local name: Camden Valley Way) between The Cross Roads and the junction with the M5 Motorway is actually technically unnumbered, but State Route 89 signage begins early to provide easy guidance for Hume Highway traffic.

Sent: Tuesday, 26 October 2021 6:42 AM

To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

Luke Wright

Nov 3, 2021, 9:34:20 PM11/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Yep, SR89 was pretty much the whole "old Hume Highway bypassed by the freeway", including the Mittagong and Berrima bypasses. Was replaced with TD17 when SR79 was extended to the freeway (and that TD then extended to Moss Vale) was probably completely removed when the B73 alpha went in through Mittagong. As pointed out, very few signs on the Berrima bypass were replaced, and there's still one or two odd NR31s there (at least one on what passes for the on-ramp from Berrima, at the end of the bypass and freeway section).

Realise all of that is probably on Sam's site, but oh well.

These days it's only really signed as a winery drive, its importance as a TD was diminished a bit further due partly to the Wombeyan Caves access being blocked for a time, but also given how Wingecarribee council really don't want anyone on the road due to its very poor condition (subsidence I suspect).

The dual carriageway bit, as well as much of the section from there towards the Wombeyan Caves turn-off (eastbound at least) has recently (last year or so?) been haphazardly re-signed as a 70 km/h limit (haphazard as in, the signs are on the ground!) with 60 km/h advisories for the bumpy surface. You really wouldn't want to be doing 100 on it anymore, that's for sure. They'd really want you to be entering Berrima from the Medway (eastern) turnoff now, like is signed on the freeway itself.

Kinda a sad way for the road to be going, and council would definitely have more important roads for upkeep, if they even had the money. But I guess, that's just rose-coloured glasses from me I think; certainly the bypass has earned its keep the past three decades or so.

AlienChex

Nov 4, 2021, 4:01:51 AM11/4/21
to Aussie Highways
There’s been talks of revitalising the wombeyan caves road to a fully sealed, two lane road. If this actually happens it would be a good chance to revitalise the Mittagong - Goulburn tourist drive route

Luke Wright

Nov 4, 2021, 8:14:56 AM11/4/21
to Aussie Highways
I think I had heard the same, but I suspect they would be needing a state grant for that to get it off the ground.

As for the A31 mess (especially the second sign being patched... immediately followed by an at-grade turnoff still with M31 🤦‍♂️)... who knows what Roads and Waterways seem to be thinking. First they say "no, we're not following the Victorian M-grade standard", then they sign the Hume as an M and even marked the Mount Ousley Road section as "motorway" so they could market a complete Princes Motorway (even with that nasty but necessary access to Mount Pleasant)... and now it seems they're back to where they started.

Something that'd probably deny much of the Pacific Highway becoming M1 once Coffs Harbour is done in a few years, Hexham a few years later and everything is dual carriageway (but basically everything between Raymond Terrace and roughly Port Mac being non-"strict" motorway standard). Not that those that drive on it particularly care, I guess it'd just be a symbolic coming-of-age for the work over what'll be 30 years by the end of it.

Pardon weird rant. I guess I would have thought something like this would have been sorted at Austroads level, but 🙃, it's just as haphazard as any desire for coordination of anything else.