Worst signs in Australia

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 8, 2020, 2:00:18 AM11/8/20
to Aussie Highways
Hi

What do you all think is the worst sign in Australia. It can be about anything, e.g. inconsistent info or ugly. Lots of vandalism on it.

I've got some below:

At Stuart Hwy/Dorat Road junction

At Stuart Hwy/Central Arnhem Road junction - how the hell did the NT government forget to add a C24 marker on all the signs at the junction - https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-14.6582954,132.6650095,3a,15y,88.29h,88.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srJtKd8HjAV3pXBwwrswtGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A87/C16 junction - missing NH87/S16 marker

At NR1/NH1/NH95 junction in WA - Its meant to be bloody NH95 or A95

and all of the Princes Highway signs from Helensburgh to Waterfall - too much vandalism.

and - at the A1/C192 junction is SA - seriously, can't put a sign up straight?

What do you all think?

Paulg

Nov 8, 2020, 10:10:18 PM11/8/20
to Aussie Highways
Screenshot 2020-11-09 130859.png

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 9, 2020, 2:51:41 AM11/9/20
to Aussie Highways
ugly

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 9, 2020, 6:35:18 AM11/9/20
to Aussie Highways

BingPress

Dec 30, 2020, 7:46:32 PM12/30/20
to Aussie Highways
Main Roads WA has been installing signs in Perth lately with completely wrong fonts. The chevron and border on this example look weird as well:

Brendan Terrett

Dec 31, 2020, 9:16:43 AM12/31/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Lol that's atrocious!

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 31, 2020, 9:58:38 AM12/31/20
to Aussie Highways
And anyway welcome to the group

Paul Rands

Jan 1, 2021, 8:46:40 PM1/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, sign contractors have been doing some pretty sloppy work of late. Main Roads are aware of the issue though

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Squeeowl

Jan 4, 2021, 4:50:05 AM1/4/21
to Aussie Highways
This has been an ongoing issue since at least 2016 (This example on Kwinana Freeway was the first one I saw in the flesh, and GSV has it dating back to Mid 2017) , but it seems like a large minority, even a majority of new AD signage last year rolled out in Perth had this error.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 4, 2021, 10:59:25 PM1/4/21
to Aussie Highways
Jesus Christ, At first I was like, there's nothing wrong with this sign but then I realised that the font is all screwed up

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 14, 2021, 3:25:26 AM1/14/21
to Aussie Highways
Better version of this sign (plus with alphas). It's a bit rushed, but since I've never been to WA before, the only way to see it is by these images.

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 11:46:32 AM UTC+11 BingPress wrote:
Better SR8.png
Better M8.png
Message has been deleted

BingPress

Jan 20, 2021, 7:49:32 AM1/20/21
to Aussie Highways

Sam Laybutt

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:15 AM1/20/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I like how the designer thought hard enough to remove Fremantle as a focal point, but not hard enough to correct the complete circle on the roundabout symbol.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:18:48 PM1/20/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's another one that's bad enough https://goo.gl/maps/aKqw9sV1EfAEBU8g8 (see tourist drives for more)

And for the one on Nicholson Road. Here's a very bad sign of mine but better than that. (again in RMS style as I've never been to WA to see how it is in general, also in alphas)
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 09.06.16.png

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 20, 2021, 7:24:50 PM1/20/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's another bad one in the NT. Obviously found it on the web but how hard is it to use just one sign.

2

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 11:59:15 PM UTC+11 crazyknightsfan wrote:
55 SAM_5583 (Medium).jpg

Sam Laybutt

Jan 20, 2021, 7:28:38 PM1/20/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I really hate this one ever since I first saw it. The legend re Lajamanu makes no sense whatsoever.

The way I (and I'm assuming most stranger drivers) would read it, is that Lajamanu is 327km away from the sign and you need to turn off B96 in 104km to reach Lajamanu. But actually, it's 327km to the turnoff, then 104km along the side road to reach Lajamanu. What an absolute mess.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:42:01 PM1/20/21
to Aussie Highways
Honestly, sometimes I feel like I should redesign all the misleading signs and the signs that are missing a route number. Has DIPL forgot about Territory Route 28 and Territory Route 9? What have they done to 23. Maybe they should have left it as TR23. And then there's this route that's missing the duplex. At least, the one and only route to be properly signed is A87 having being the longest. If they can do A87 properly, why not the others.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 20, 2021, 8:22:02 PM1/20/21
to Aussie Highways
I'm pretty sure it's this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/PiVWP2deAJra4Uno8

Whats even worse, the turn off bit is also confusing. Does the 104 mean 104km to the turn off or 104km mean Lajamanu is 104km away from the turn off. Its pretty annoying how for someone who doesn't have some sort of map with them. I wonder how the signage looks from the C5 Tanami Road side.

4

Paul Rands

Jan 23, 2021, 7:23:38 AM1/23/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The Vale bit for Canning Vale is on a coverplate too

Paul Rands

Jan 23, 2021, 7:24:14 AM1/23/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Damn that's a mess

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 24, 2021, 7:49:02 AM1/24/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's another bad one: https://goo.gl/maps/UEoGgDn1yPstdU8j8
Is that bent arrow common in WA?

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 24, 2021, 7:49:15 AM1/24/21
to Aussie Highways
Let's take it this way, it has a route number and it is the correct route number, and this is neither one of those typical NT signage errors.

1

Paul Rands

Jan 24, 2021, 7:50:39 AM1/24/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The bent arrow is quite common and signifies the right turn after the immediate junction

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 25, 2021, 10:15:55 PM1/25/21
to Aussie Highways
I suppose the sign designers don't have the roadgeek fonts? https://goo.gl/maps/YKmqdzoifH4UiZwo6

Sam Laybutt

Jan 26, 2021, 8:53:56 PM1/26/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The bent arrow is the standard method of signing the approaches to diamond interchanges in WA.

Jan 31, 2021, 3:15:29 AM1/31/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

You'd hope not. They need AS1744

#130km/hforthehume

Feb 17, 2021, 2:47:01 AM2/17/21
to Aussie Highways
There is a similar sign like this further up on Buntine Highway. See OP here. Looks like it's done by the same designer.
Bad Buntine.png

Paul Rands

Mar 21, 2021, 9:25:35 AM3/21/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yep that linked sign is poo too

Adrian Biankin

Jun 8, 2021, 8:06:40 AM6/8/21
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 9, 2021, 6:22:12 AM6/9/21
to Aussie Highways
and i love this sign below too:

only a few hundred metres from the one you linked

AlienChex

Jun 10, 2021, 5:31:51 AM6/10/21
to Aussie Highways
The signs in central coast and Newcastle areas have really suffered. Most of them are the same signs from early 2000s with tacky coverplates

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2021, 6:04:56 AM6/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

It's the same in many regional areas. If the coverplates were installed properly then it'd be less of an issue, but many were not.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 10, 2021, 10:04:46 AM6/10/21
to Aussie Highways
All the signs on A43, A37, B53, A49 (except the black one in Erina) should be replaced. A37 even led me to thinking whether there was something underneath it.

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 10, 2021, 10:31:59 PM6/10/21
to Aussie Highways
Also, the signs in the NE area or the Central West is a lot better than these. The Riverina has suffered a lot too, with whacky B75 coverplates, and a sad woomargama way sign (which Mark spotted) and some SR86's which were never meant to be there in the first place, (although it is a somewhat useful route)

The far west is not bad, but there's a couple of missing B79's northbound near Broken Hill, and the mid north coast and north has not suffered a lot.

Adrian Biankin

Jun 28, 2021, 3:33:29 AM6/28/21
to Aussie Highways

Adrian Biankin

Jun 28, 2021, 3:46:10 AM6/28/21
to Aussie Highways
Another one!

Wrong markers markers for the Southbound side of the F3 (this was before 2013). It was meant to have NH1 on both sides.

Sam Laybutt

Jun 28, 2021, 4:15:49 AM6/28/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Quite a number of signs related to this section of the F3 (Kangy Angy to Doyalson) were manufactured with a NR1/NH15 duplex on them, covered by NH1. It seems to have been an aborted plan to extend NH15 into Sydney in lieu of signing NH1.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:43:23 PM7/25/21
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 26, 2021, 12:19:10 AM7/26/21
to Aussie Highways
I had always wished that they had only used one sign

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 28, 2021, 4:31:37 AM7/28/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's one that I'm not a fan of: https://goo.gl/maps/PjTUjug2qrPYH34R7

Just never type B51 with D series. Looks ugly :(

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 28, 2021, 4:31:44 AM7/28/21
to Aussie Highways
Here's another terrible one down B51

In my opinion, someone needs to do all the B51 signs again.

James Clarke

Jul 28, 2021, 11:57:31 PM7/28/21
to Aussie Highways
This sign bothers me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.9400658,115.7605393,3a,75y,2.13h,82.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssuTJxm5UdLPt2oQM_0GLKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Oceanic Dr is the road the crosses over hear. The road that continues is SR71 West Coast Hwy. This implies that Oceanic Drive continues on to Scarborough. No to even mention that the sign is broken and has been for years,

This is another leg of the same intersection, it implies West Coast Hwy continues straight on and left and righ

Adrian Biankin

Jul 30, 2021, 10:16:26 PM7/30/21
to Aussie Highways

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 31, 2021, 10:18:09 AM7/31/21
to Aussie Highways
Oh no, not another sign in the Blacktown LGA! I hate how they always use Arial/Arimo instead of AS 1744

Aevion

Aug 1, 2021, 1:46:55 AM8/1/21
to Aussie Highways
There's some incredibly nasty ones around the Lethbridge Park area near Blacktown as well. Awful mixtures of white-on-blue and black-on-white in various shapes and sizes, like this example;

I'd select some Queensland ones but I wouldn't know where to start....

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 1, 2021, 7:38:01 AM8/1/21
to Aussie Highways
For Qld, let's start with the NR83/A2/A6 junction at Cloncurry: https://goo.gl/maps/CEEugWNsxJJpAFK38

I've never really understood the purpose of extending A6 on a duplex with A2.

Sam Laybutt

Aug 1, 2021, 7:47:56 AM8/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A6 directly replaced NR78, which was signed in both directions from the NR83 jct at Cloncurry through to Townsville, inclusive of a duplex with NH66 between NR83 and the Flinders/Landsborough jct east of Cloncurry.

As if the 15km duplex between the NH66/NR78 and NH66/NR83 junctions wasn't strange enough - although potentially of some benefit to directly link the north-south NR83 with the major east-west NR78 - there was also a duplex all the way to Mt Isa signed only in the eastbound direction.

It's fairly obvious that someone at TMR was convinced that the Mt Isa-Townsville corridor was so important it justified having a continuous route number, at least for eastbound travel. When A6 was signed, it directly replaced NR78, including these odd duplexes.

In typical Queensland fashion, though, they have made a complete clusterfuck of new signs at the A2/A6 junction with a whole bunch of NHA6 shields (minus the 'NATIONAL' legend for added difficulty) and completely ignoring the fact that A2 is the route that continues west. Yikes.

Aug 1, 2021, 8:17:27 PM8/1/21
to Aussie Highways
The only triplex in Australia without tourist drives: https://goo.gl/maps/poS9UxS8dTmgUmxa9

Sam Laybutt

Aug 1, 2021, 8:23:41 PM8/1/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There was this one, but it appears it was always an error (at worst) or an aborted plan (at best):

Sent: Monday, 2 August 2021 6:33 AM

To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:20:38 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Ooh Arial Bold :)

Very typical of BCC signage unfortunately

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:23:19 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

The one you linked was a blue text on beige background when it was installed. It seems UV hasn't been kind to it. It replaced a 1970s made white text on blue background sign, which were common when I lived at Willmot in the 80s, and remained in situ until those beige things went in during the 90s

Paul R

Aug 2, 2021, 12:25:50 PM8/2/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:44:14 PM8/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Some of those old white-on-blue ones are still there, it appears. I know its not their jurisdiction but man I wish RMS would go through there and redo them all.

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:47:24 PM8/2/21
to Aussie Highways
There's some lovely signs at the recently-upgraded Moonie Highway/Warrego Highway junction at Dalby as well. Especially this lovely specimen.

https://goo.gl/maps/fpfWmynF4GiVW1Wj8 Great view from this angle. Can see it perfectly.

https://goo.gl/maps/aSeBq5F3ads5Uu9t5 Bit closer up, can't get any closer as it switches to an older view (and it appears the older signs weren't much better).

Aevion

Aug 2, 2021, 11:52:53 PM8/2/21
to Aussie Highways
Found these nasties along a newly-upgraded stretch of Campbelltown Road as well. Considering the AD signs (and the railway station ID signs) are of decent RMS design I don't understand how these disgusting examples made it through.

https://goo.gl/maps/4W7oDfbjc1V7i4pd8 Just one of the horrendous examples.

Sam Laybutt

Aug 3, 2021, 12:32:48 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
A2/SR49/SR82 in Dalby

This one is even signed in both directions.

Sent: Monday, 2 August 2021 6:33 AM
To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 3, 2021, 2:37:30 AM8/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Why??? I don't understand Qld's route numbering half the time.

Paul R

Aug 3, 2021, 10:42:39 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Paul R

Aug 3, 2021, 10:43:32 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Need binoculars to see them! Terrible layout as well

Paul R

Aug 3, 2021, 10:44:19 AM8/3/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

That's a bit rough. Still better than those QLD ones you posted LOL

Aevion

Aug 3, 2021, 12:16:46 PM8/3/21
to Aussie Highways
Anybody who could deserves a medal.

James Clarke

Aug 5, 2021, 3:36:47 AM8/5/21
to Aussie Highways

NateBenji

Aug 19, 2021, 9:08:41 AM8/19/21
to Aussie Highways
Is it me or are none of these bad signs in Victoria? lol

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 19, 2021, 9:29:48 AM8/19/21
to Aussie Highways
how about a victorian one: https://goo.gl/maps/6PvTG8GZNe29PfGr6
via shouldn't be capitalized, and it looks just plain ugly

Sam L

Aug 19, 2021, 9:37:42 AM8/19/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This is a pretty standard Victorian sign, with a slightly awkward layout. Definitely not one of the worst signs in Australia.
At the time this sign was designed, the standard was 'via' and 'To' were in mixed case as per the rest of the destination.

Sent: Thursday, 19 August 2021 9:13 PM

To: Aussie Highways <aussie-...@googlegroups.com>

AlienChex

Aug 21, 2021, 1:03:48 AM8/21/21
to Aussie Highways
Signs in Newcastle are always years behind the rest of the country. They’re the same signs from the 80s with alphanumeric cover plates slapped on. All ugly.

ACT takes this one step further by having NEW signs (post-2013) with the old National Highway system. Barbaric

#130km/hforthehume

Aug 23, 2021, 10:38:21 AM8/23/21
to Aussie Highways
Ditto for Port Stephens, the Upper Central Coast or even just the Hunter region in general. All ugly, particularly B84 and B63  ):

#130km/hforthehume

Sep 1, 2021, 10:49:32 PM9/1/21
to Aussie Highways
Here is some more, in WA:
https://goo.gl/maps/WYy3rRaNx38U6SC77 missing SR138 and the location of the Marble Bar Rd plate
https://goo.gl/maps/xMSQCrExik3e6dS59  oh my my.... just looks bad.
https://goo.gl/maps/2k3axfBZWEqKQCE79 this makes it look like "Balgo Hills 24" is the road name until you get up closer
https://goo.gl/maps/LhHm33F1idowwmv57 Why use 3 signs? not 1? looks ugly to me, as well as the mix of fonts

Adrian Biankin

Sep 7, 2021, 8:08:21 PM9/7/21
to Aussie Highways
Some more, North of Sydney/Central Coast
https://goo.gl/maps/Vn2LR9Jv1iQ9JGJ9A - I think it would've been cheaper to make one big sign
https://goo.gl/maps/GzZJbE6gCosiGrSg7 - This one is okay, but it annoys me a little bit
https://goo.gl/maps/M4yGbFXvCpwi1ioN6 - A world of different fonts!
https://goo.gl/maps/WrpdFJzSg4npFWHo6 - This should have a better design (I think they stole this design from Wyong road's roundabout signs https://goo.gl/maps/qg91qjEh5mxyvnT98)

M1 Pacific Freeway
https://goo.gl/maps/ke7HPWZs7BgZGMge6 - Remnant Freeway sign at the old Bewowra toll station (But it actually looks new, New green background and design... Could this be an indication of the M1 changing from a Motorway to a Freeway or just a mistake?)

#130km/hforthehume

Sep 7, 2021, 9:39:11 PM9/7/21
to Aussie Highways
If the earlier one from Vic wasn't bad enough, here's another one that has got me confused.

Sam L

Sep 7, 2021, 9:43:59 PM9/7/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The remnant 'Freeway' at Berowra was installed when the rest area was redeveloped and pre-dates to the change to M1/Motorway. It was evidently missed in the 2013 conversion and is missing both route numbers.

The Bateau Bay Square coverplates are pretty bodgy.

Sep 8, 2021, 4:17:17 AM9/8/21
to Aussie Highways
The sign design itself is fine but this heavily deteriorated sign often annoys me considering its major location

#130km/hforthehume

Sep 21, 2021, 1:01:14 AM9/21/21
to Aussie Highways
this one: https://goo.gl/maps/i2uCnpF55mM5wBZL6

the 51 there is just,

Brett Watkins

Sep 21, 2021, 6:08:52 AM9/21/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Across the road theres an exit for "Midland Perth City"

Squeeowl

Sep 23, 2021, 2:32:55 AM9/23/21
to Aussie Highways
That'll get fixed when the sign is replaced (likely when the Tonkin Gap works are completed), its a lazy cover plate over the old T3/T4 Airport signage when the access to the terminals changed).

#130km/hforthehume

Sep 23, 2021, 11:57:37 PM9/23/21
to Aussie Highways
there's technically nothing wrong this sign but it just doesn't look right

Sam L

Sep 23, 2021, 11:58:18 PM9/23/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The '7' is Series D instead of E, but otherwise yeah it's compliant. Just unusual to have a route number on a blue sign.

Sep 29, 2021, 6:22:04 AM9/29/21
to Aussie Highways

Qwerty88

Sep 29, 2021, 6:28:37 AM9/29/21
to Aussie Highways
Looks like it "survived" a bushfire.

Aevion

Sep 29, 2021, 10:07:35 AM9/29/21
to Aussie Highways
I believe this was indeed the case with this particular sign.

I do wonder whether this sign is an original from when this section of the motorway opened in 1993 or whether it came later. It's rather unusual and as far as I know no other motorways in Queensland were using this sort of sign at the time.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 22, 2022, 7:20:33 AM1/22/22
to Aussie Highways
https://goo.gl/maps/TrmWQUEVoyStVJaJ6 on SR3 in WA needs some tender loving care.
  1. The 3 is in the wrong font
  2. Both SR3 and SR77 are way too big
  3. Someone "accidentally" put a North American Clearview font on it
  4. The size of "Erindale Road" seems too big
I could go on forever about that sign

Paul R

Feb 23, 2022, 7:13:59 AM2/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Talk about a disaster. My understanding that MRWA are aware the contractor has stuffed up, but who knows if and when it will be remedied.

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 9, 2022, 8:07:51 PM6/9/22
to Aussie Highways
Time for an ACT sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/KNQWXX7dCJkfEMc67 in the National Arboretum (the actual one, or the one that you can drive through) has a few problems:
- What is happening with the alignment in "Dairy Farmers Hill"? The current alignment makes it look like there are two places; "Dairy" and "Farmers Hill"
- A US/Canadian Clearview font I see...
but it does look better than a whole slew of other ACT signs

Luke W

Jun 9, 2022, 9:17:12 PM6/9/22
to Aussie Highways
That indented alignment is reasonably stock-standard to show that it's actually *not* 2 places, as it would if they were aligned one under the other. Though mainly used on distance signs - for instance, the treatment of "Batemans Bay" on some smaller signs come to mind on the Princes Highway (when the only other control would be "Nowra", "Ulladulla", or coming north, possibly "Bega").

Although I agree it looks a bit icky on a sign like that (would centre-aligning it make it look any better? I'm not sure...), and it makes you wonder why they bothered when they fit the only-slightly-smaller "Himalayan Cedars" on one line.

Aaron Polidano

Jun 12, 2022, 6:24:21 PM6/12/22
to Aussie Highways
Probably one of the most annoying signs I see on my commute is this Elliot Ave sign on Flemington Rd just before Royal Park
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2e1ew58LYNvZ6jtY7

It's an old sign, but for one, Elliot Ave actually goes no where near Coburg and this sign is actually facing a South direction, so there is no intention for you to use Elliot Ave to go into a Coburg direction when you're city bound.

Luke W

Jun 26, 2022, 8:07:53 AM6/26/22
to Aussie Highways
Going along Elliot Ave and then north up Sydney Road would likely still be the simplest way to get to Coburg from there, without using CityLink at least - but given most of the people who see that are people who've just come off CityLink at Flemington Road, pointing to there seems a little oddball.

It wouldn't be for anyone coming from further up the Calder or Tulla because you'd just use the direct route via Bell Street surely.

You do mention it's an old sign though and I wonder whether it does predate CityLink, or whether it was put up while they were doing the initial works to make that section of the Tulla part of CityLink.

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 26, 2022, 7:34:33 PM6/26/22
to Aussie Highways
https://goo.gl/maps/BRTm4u1CexqFBMLE9 in Albury puts me off. So they chose to "acknowledge" ACT's A23 (https://goo.gl/maps/s1HjJtCVn8dqEjLNA), why can't NSW acknowledge B400 and C315?

Paul R

Jun 26, 2022, 8:39:38 PM6/26/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I would say the M23 and A23 sign on Federal Hwy is not a NSW design, despite its location. Its design aesthetics would suggest it was designed for the ACT Government (most likely by Capital Lines and Signs like other signs) as part of the entire sign package for the Majura Parkway build. The previous sign was also an ACT design as well.

There are several instances where NSW signage has been placed inside the ACT border and ACT signage placed inside the NSW border, including at Hall and Beard / Harman

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 26, 2022, 9:37:00 PM6/26/22
to Aussie Highways
The font sort of gave it away, so not to surprised.

I just did a quick look for NSW signs in the ACT and found https://goo.gl/maps/sMyFYpgL2Q8Dxvtq7. A lot of signs in that area (on the ACT side that is...) make it look like Beard, Oaks Estate etc. are a part of NSW, despite being north of the border.

Luke W

Jun 27, 2022, 5:46:55 AM6/27/22
to Aussie Highways
I'm not sure that it qualifies as a "worst" but one of the new northbound M7 signs at Cowpasture Road makes me shake my head as a facepalm each time I see it... with the new sign's designers having faithfully reproduced the huge green gap in the old sign caused by the coverplating of "Hoxton Park Airport". (This one: https://goo.gl/maps/bPHeBVfaiQBbundm6)

These of course being put up to the new standards (with the borderless M7 on the sign before this) but close to 30 years of road name patches really makes me think the new standard for them looks so wrong... but *shrug*.

Aevion

Jun 27, 2022, 11:07:34 AM6/27/22
to Aussie Highways
Not a fan of that style of name patch. Didn't realise this was actually made standard in NSW, but I know Victoria use it extensively and some signs up here use it too (albeit mostly without the rounded off corners).

I'm really going to miss the bordered alphas too.

In regards to the sign, a bit more space between the road patch and the focal points would have been nice too. Just a tiny bit. Looks too squished together.

Paul R

Jun 27, 2022, 11:38:28 PM6/27/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Luke W

Jun 28, 2022, 1:43:40 AM6/28/22
to Aussie Highways
Like everything in NSW in the last little while - I doubt it may have become a "standard" (the Traffic Sign Register hasn't changed the look of it) but inconsistency is the consistency really lately - the signs along the M7 have always been a bit of an example of that and I suspect this is no different.

#130km/hforthehume

Jul 10, 2022, 9:07:34 PM7/10/22
to Aussie Highways
https://goo.gl/maps/Dab6PQMcqTEh11Si6 on the Monaro Highway bothers me a lot. Not only is it a terrible remnant NH (though it's kinda hard to call the ACT's shields as "remnants"), but NH23 used to end near the Barton Hwy intersection and never went this far south.

z386x

Jul 10, 2022, 11:08:48 PM7/10/22
to Aussie Highways
For reference the road is not called "City", it's actually Mountain Hwy.... In addition there are probably a number of other roads (eg. M3) which would be better suited to heading to the City rather than Mountain Hwy.

This sign also annoys me for the fact it was installed in 2017, and yet uses SR180, which was actually retired in 1997 with the alphas...

BingPress

Jul 23, 2022, 4:44:26 AM7/23/22
to Aussie Highways
Here's a disgusting effort on SR52 West Swan Road in Perth, featuring badly mismatched fonts via coverplates. The 2018 version of the sign in Street View is perfect, I don't understand why it was changed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.8665474,115.9850382,3a,22.3y,357.61h,89.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPtTceSBt83HX_chPKQ0y6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sam L

Jul 23, 2022, 8:49:19 AM7/23/22
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
There was a period in 2019 when one particular contractor (Perth Safety Products) produced these abominations for Main Roads maintenance replacements. That seems to have stopped now, but I would have personally sent them back for correction at no cost...

Jul 24, 2022, 7:41:16 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
Interesting to hear the backstory in relation to one specific contractor messing all of these up. It's crazy how long it was left to go on for as there's probably close to 100 examples across the Perth metro area.
The majority were produced in 2019, but you can spot similar incorrect font usage as far back as 2017 (the one pictured here no longer exists after many rounds of Kwinana Freeway roadworks).

Luke W

Jul 24, 2022, 9:51:25 AM7/24/22
to Aussie Highways
>  This sign also annoys me for the fact it was installed in 2017, and yet uses SR180, which was actually retired in 1997 with the alphas...

Yet I'm not entirely sure whether this portion (from the Princes Highway to where it connected to the M420 bit at the freeway) actually was - or at least, wasn't until a bit later than 1997 anyway, since it was inside that cordon (sorta defined by west of the M420 in that area) where they wanted to keep the metro routes signed. It made no sense, but honestly neither did keeping Alt-NR1 or NH31 signed for so long...

At the very least, it gives them (possibly unintended) room to put an A21 coverplate over it! Although the way they're going, it's likely Vicroads will replace it. A couple of decades down the track, old signs with the white border right at the edge will be cherished just like traffic lights without backing target borders :P
It is loading more messages.