More NSW archival stuff

Csanad Csutoros

Mar 5, 2021, 7:12:39 PM3/5/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
https://historicalarchive.transport.nsw.gov.au/

Hi all,

This appears to be fairly new, apologies if this has been sent previously.

Not all photos are new but a cursory look reveals some not previously published historic pics. For example there's images relating to the Tumblong Deviation on the Hume, some of which I certainly have not previously seen. Unfortunately the blurbs look like they might be a bit generic so it might be hard to fix the exact lication of some pics, but otherwise a definite time-waster (in a good way :) ).

Kind regards,
CC

davis

Mar 7, 2021, 1:38:02 AM3/7/21
to Aussie Highways
This got some press attention last week I think.

There are definitely photos (and videos!) I've neve seen before. It's just frustrating that with these public archives never build on the existing - you get a whole new set of material and a good chunk of the previous material vanishes.

Csanad Csutoros

Mar 7, 2021, 2:34:19 AM3/7/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, subsequent browsing definitely confirms this. For example on parts of the Pacific Highway where a few new images have seemingly appeared at the expense of others that were previously accessibleat these locations.
Plus the captioning looks worse than I originally thought...some photos of the Hume have been captioned as being part of the Tumblong deviation, despite clearly being from other locations and  timelines. It's almost as if some of the labels on the original stock were either missing completely, unspecific or unclear in some way and for shots of the Hume Highway that fell into this category, Tumblong Stage 1 or 2, became the default caption lol.
Depending on what you look for it still might be worth a browse...but there is a chance you may be disappointed with the results.

davis

Mar 7, 2021, 2:53:42 AM3/7/21
to Aussie Highways
Yeah the description of some of those Tumbalong deviation photos are referring to it as though it's the 1938 deviation!

There's a photo of the F5 in 1980 showing the St Andrews Rd bridge, but it describes it as the Narellan Rd bridge.

There's a photo described as being part of the M7, but as far as I can tell, it's the Hoxton Park Rd bridge over Cabramatta Creek

They'd have been better leaving the original file notes rather than getting some poor graduate to make guesses to flesh out the description.

Vincent

Mar 8, 2021, 10:25:52 PM3/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Heaps of good stuff on this new service, and I hope they do keep expanding it. I remember seeing photos digitised at one of the RMS offices in Western Sydney a few years ago and there's still plenty of stuff from around the state which hasn't yet made it online.

Here's a cool shot of Ring Road 1 on New South Head Road which I haven't seen before: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/previews.dams.me/929/image/large/000/000/000/000/000000000000023/100381l.jpg

Not too sure how to share a page? The home URL is in the address bar and I can only find an option to copy the image link.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Paul Rands

Mar 21, 2021, 9:32:02 AM3/21/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Some amazing stuff on this site!

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Musa Hodzic

Mar 22, 2021, 10:18:40 PM3/22/21
to Aussie Highways

Paul Rands

Mar 23, 2021, 10:30:33 AM3/23/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Aevion

May 13, 2021, 11:08:35 AM5/13/21
to Aussie Highways
Some more photos added recently, this time of construction of the Western Distributor and the official opening of the Southern Cross Drive extension in 1988.

Daniel Knott

May 13, 2021, 3:51:39 PM5/13/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Am liking these monthly updates

Aevion

May 14, 2021, 6:56:11 AM5/14/21
to Aussie Highways
Yeah its nice to see regular updates (same with the Queensland one) considering the old one was pretty much the same stuff for several years. Speaking of which, I noticed the former database still exists too; hopefully all those images will be migrated over to the new one at some point.

Most of the uploaded images lately seem to be of official opening ceremonies, in which case they have a lot to go through (and that's just the ones we know about!). Personally I was under the impression the extension of Southern Cross Drive opened with no fanfare at all, and same with the Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation.

Vincent Muller

May 16, 2021, 5:58:39 PM5/16/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Nice finds!

It would be great if all images were sortable by date added, would make it a bit easier to see what's new. There might be something simple I'm missing though?

Cheers,
Vincent.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Aussie Highways" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/ba513f3e-82d6-409d-ae93-bc1e660d4db1n%40googlegroups.com.

Csanad Csutoros

May 16, 2021, 6:25:37 PM5/16/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Haven't quite worked it out using this on my phone (or if I'm even saying anything new) but hitting the search magnifying glass without adding anything to the search field gets this screen, so it *seems* this might be possible. Not sure if the oldest to newest/newest to oldest button marked in red below actually applies to.when the pics are added (if it is then it'd kind of bit easier to browse for the newest stuff).

20210517_081936.jpg

Vincent Muller

May 16, 2021, 9:55:43 PM5/16/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Legend, thanks Csanad! I couldn't figure out how to display all the images. Looks like they're being sorted in descending date order!

Cheers,
Vincent

Csanad Csutoros

May 16, 2021, 9:59:55 PM5/16/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
No worries, glad I could (unexpectedly) help :)

Brendan Terrett

May 17, 2021, 12:30:26 AM5/17/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I believe there's a lot more in the archive at the moment that isn't publicly accessible.

From what I could tell earlier the archive ID numbers are not necessarily lining up with the order of new releases.

They've been working on digitising the Transport archives for many years now, I think almost all of it has been digitised but they are holding back on public release (i.e. changing a flag on the record) because they might need to complete all the metadata and clear copyright before they can release anything.

Vincent Muller

May 17, 2021, 1:06:13 AM5/17/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that wouldn't surprise me. I worked in the same building as Transport a little while ago and remember them digitising part of the collection - mostly 6x4s of signage audits they did in the early 90s. There were also some trial shots of different coloured metroad shields as well as black & white photographs of the F3 with pre-metric signage. I'm looking forward to those collections being made available online.

There shouldn't be too many issues with access or copyright, although I'm not too familiar with Transport's records management arrangements. I would have thought metadata would have been captured when the photographs were digitised, but it's very possible that the metadata wasn't captured to the standards required for online publishing.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Paul Rands

Jun 6, 2021, 3:11:29 AM6/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Vincent Muller

Jun 6, 2021, 7:08:43 PM6/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Me too, Paul! It's been so long, I need to make sure the photos actually exist and I haven't dreamt them up 😂

Message has been deleted

Adrian Biankin

Jun 21, 2021, 7:19:56 AM6/21/21
to Aussie Highways