TfNSW - Alphanumeric Route Markers now borderless

Brendan Terrett

May 31, 2020, 4:41:49 AM5/31/20
to Aussie Highways
RIP our sexy alpha borders. Now we have to deal with crap naked alphas like the rest of the country :(

There are several signs lining the M5 East recently installed which have borderless alphas, and apparently replacement signage on the south coast following the bushfires has had the treatment.

The exit sign example in the technical direction sheet looks pretty awful, but it's probably more a layout issue than anything else.

ed24f1

May 31, 2020, 5:36:28 AM5/31/20
to Aussie Highways
A bit disappointing as I prefer the look with the border, but standardisation does make sense. It is surprising with so many signs recently installed with borders though.

I suppose it's a good time do this type of project and create some jobs for all the coverplating/new signs required!

Albert Alcoceba

May 31, 2020, 6:05:19 AM5/31/20
to Aussie Highways
I doubt they will be cover plating or replacing any existing signs unless they are due for replacement anyway.

On 31 May 2020, at 7:36 pm, ed24f1 <ed2...@gmail.com> wrote:

A bit disappointing as I prefer the look with the border, but standardisation does make sense. It is surprising with so many signs recently installed with borders though.

I suppose it's a good time do this type of project and create some jobs for all the coverplating/new signs required!

Paul Mech

May 31, 2020, 6:31:26 AM5/31/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I actually preferred the border alpha signage. Looked tidy.

Sent from my iPhone

On 31 May 2020, at 20:05, Albert Alcoceba <alber...@gmail.com> wrote:

I doubt they will be cover plating or replacing any existing signs unless they are due for replacement anyway.

Aevion

May 31, 2020, 6:46:17 AM5/31/20
to Aussie Highways
Definitely prefer the bordered numbers, but I also understand why they'd want to standardise it all. That being said, in the name of 'standardisation' it would be nice to finally see a full changeover to alphas country-wide.

Vincent Muller

May 31, 2020, 7:36:42 PM5/31/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This seems to speak to the wider trend of standardising signage and markings in NSW. Another example I can point towards - the specifications for pavement arrows looks to have been updated in 2014, and arrows in NSW now more closely resemble those in Victoria/Queensland per the provisions outlined in AS1742.

Musa Hodzic

Jun 1, 2020, 9:58:55 AM6/1/20
to Aussie Highways
Yes Vincent, I also noticed that, except that in other states the line of the arrow is centered in the lane whereas in NSW, the whole arrow in centered, which is neater and better IMO. NSW was the only state to have different style turning arrows.

Also, I never actually liked the alphas and if I was to choose, I always preferred them WITHOUT the border. The border seemed to carry on from the shield system, was kinda hard letting it go. If they want to keep the coverplate people busy, well, I wish they bring back the shield system and start from scratch (I'm being silly, but I miss the shields).

Brad Forbes

Jun 4, 2020, 8:22:36 PM6/4/20
to Aussie Highways
Noticed the lack of border on new signage in bushfire impacted areas on the south coast (see attached pic).

On Monday, 1 June 2020 23:58:55 UTC+10, Musa Hodzic wrote:
> Yes Vincent, I also noticed that, except that in other states the line of the arrow is centered in the lane whereas in NSW, the whole arrow in centered, which is neater and better IMO. NSW was the only state to have different style turning arrows.
>

> Also, I never actually liked the alphas and if I was to choose, I always preferred them WITHOUT the border. The border seemed to carry on from the shield system, was kinda hard letting it go. If they want to keep the coverplate people busy, well, I wish they bring back the shield system and start from scratch (I'm being silly, but I miss the shields).
>

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, 09:36 Vincent Muller, <vincent...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This seems to speak to the wider trend of standardising signage and markings in NSW. Another example I can point towards - the specifications for pavement arrows looks to have been updated in 2014, and arrows in NSW now more closely resemble those in Victoria/Queensland per the provisions outlined in AS1742.
>

> On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 8:46 PM Aevion <vortec-...@live.com.au> wrote:
>
> Definitely prefer the bordered numbers, but I also understand why they'd want to standardise it all. That being said, in the name of 'standardisation' it would be nice to finally see a full changeover to alphas country-wide.
>
> On Sunday, 31 May 2020 18:41:49 UTC+10, Brendan Terrett wrote:RIP our sexy alpha borders. Now we have to deal with crap naked alphas like the rest of the country :(
>

> There are several signs lining the M5 East recently installed which have borderless alphas, and apparently replacement signage on the south coast following the bushfires has had the treatment.
>

> The exit sign example in the technical direction sheet looks pretty awful, but it's probably more a layout issue than anything else.
>

> https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/downloads/ttd_2020-01.pdf

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/f13f8c51-3562-4376-ad26-02ce2e995419%40googlegroups.com.

IMG_20200605_101731061.jpg

Vincent Muller

Jun 4, 2020, 9:11:26 PM6/4/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
To be honest, that looks better than I was expecting. I guess we've previously been burned by the experience of dodgy Queensland alpha coverplates? 😂

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/579ee29e-7b8f-43a0-9f6d-bf8a81571872o%40googlegroups.com.

Sam Laybutt

Jun 4, 2020, 9:47:53 PM6/4/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The RMS layouts are generally a lot easier to read than QLD, NT etc with the route number given similar prominence regardless of whether it's alpha-numeric or a shielded route.

I think the main issue with alpha-numerics is when you get awfully designed signs like this example from Darwin: https://goo.gl/maps/PB4t4WEQgrSZMChL7

The 'A1' legend height is non-compliant (AS1742.15 specifies it must be the same or one size larger than the main legend height, whereas in this case it matches the smaller road name) plus the positioning and lack of spacing between 'A' and '1' makes it very difficult to ead.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:14:13 AM6/5/20
to Aussie Highways
yes looks quite good, similar if not identical to victoria which is fine for me

Musa Hodzic

Jun 5, 2020, 12:54:05 AM6/5/20
to Aussie Highways
Much better without the border IMO. Thanks Brad.

Sam, LOL, that IS hideous indeed! HAHA.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/579ee29e-7b8f-43a0-9f6d-bf8a81571872o%40googlegroups.com.

Aevion

Jun 7, 2020, 4:21:17 AM6/7/20
to Aussie Highways
Not too bad at all, actually. I was prepared to be disappointed but it's actually quite neat.

QTMR need to take a good hard look at this and rectify their so-called 'standards', but perhaps they're beyond help now.

Musa Hodzic

Jun 11, 2020, 10:20:55 PM6/11/20
to Aussie Highways
I only wish that they don't use the green "footprint" as the background on blue signs. Just the florescent route marker will do.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/35699a40-5175-4254-919b-ae52e7181f5do%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Csar

Jun 11, 2020, 10:32:36 PM6/11/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
If it’s any guide, Victorian tourist signs have route numbers on white-bordered green patches (much like the old NSW alphas), so bordered alphas might not disappear entirely.

Cheers,
Alex.

Musa Hodzic

Jun 13, 2020, 1:00:02 AM6/13/20
to Aussie Highways
Oh wow, you got any links to that Alex?

Nihat

Jun 13, 2020, 5:33:14 AM6/13/20
to Aussie Highways

Musa Hodzic

Jun 14, 2020, 1:48:45 PM6/14/20
to Aussie Highways
Oh wow. Thanks for that. Yeah, that looks much better with the border on non-green signs than just slapping a green patch. Love it.

li...@paulrands.com

Jun 22, 2020, 3:03:03 AM6/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely prefer it over the bordered route numbers

---
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com
IMG_20200605_101731061.jpg

li...@paulrands.com

Jun 22, 2020, 3:04:02 AM6/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah that's horrible. And there's loads of them like that in NT, as shown already on my site, and what will be coming in this current update I am working on

---

Paul Rands

aussieh...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2020, 2:59:25 AM7/3/20
to Aussie Highways
Some borderless M5 signs spotted today attached.

There's something dodgy with the font in images 06 and 07 though. For example, the angled ends on "d" and "p" are inverted and the sizing/spacing seems off also.

Bonus image: Remnant Metroad 5 sign (image 09).

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 18:41:49 UTC+10, Brendan Terrett wrote:
20200703_08.jpg
20200703_07.jpg
20200703_06.jpg
20200703_09.jpg

Paul Rands

Jul 3, 2020, 4:10:36 AM7/3/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely better without the borders

Paul Rands

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Jul 2020, at 16:59, "aussieh...@gmail.com" <aussieh...@gmail.com> wrote:

<20200703_08.jpg>
<20200703_07.jpg>
<20200703_06.jpg>
<20200703_09.jpg>

aussieh...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2020, 8:39:58 AM7/5/20
to Aussie Highways
More borderless signs popping up now. Sorry, the image quality isn't good since they're crops from dashcam video screenshots.
vlcsnap-2020-07-05-22h25m52s457.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-07-05-22h33m28s830.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-07-05-22h31m06s719.jpg

Vincent Muller

Jul 5, 2020, 8:16:09 PM7/5/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I was a little surprised to see that the M8 signage has borders, but perhaps it was procured and installed before the standards changed?

Brendan Terrett

Musa Hodzic

Jul 6, 2020, 8:46:30 PM7/6/20
to Aussie Highways
Awesome

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/e59fbb3b-3a08-4128-9027-bf4af846d61fo%40googlegroups.com.

Vincent Muller

Jul 13, 2020, 5:39:54 AM7/13/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much all the signage between Lithgow and Bell on Bells Line of Road has been replaced by borderless signage. Unfortunately I don't have a dashcam so no photographic evidence, but if I get back up that way I'll have to pull over for a shot.

Hubert Lam

Jul 14, 2020, 11:09:42 AM7/14/20
to Aussie Highways
That'd be mainly due to the bushfire?

Vincent Muller

Jul 14, 2020, 8:22:13 PM7/14/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the fires came particularly close to that stretch of Bells Line of Road.

aussieh...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2020, 5:14:34 AM7/17/20
to Aussie Highways
Here are some screenshots from my dashcam.
Awesome

0713GX01.MP4_snapshot_02.52.760.jpg
20200715_120726.jpg
0713GX01.MP4_snapshot_06.48.896.jpg
0721GX05.MP4_snapshot_04.58.806.jpg
0721GX04.MP4_snapshot_03.32.993.jpg
0721GX04.MP4_snapshot_01.49.512.jpg

Vincent Muller

Jul 17, 2020, 6:22:29 AM7/17/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
That's them! Thank you 😁

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/4da31698-099b-42ad-aa48-7ec7f01a5ac3o%40googlegroups.com.

stuarthwy87

Oct 7, 2020, 6:29:26 AM10/7/20
to Aussie Highways
found another one

A15 signage.png

Paul Rands

Oct 11, 2020, 11:20:32 AM10/11/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
That’s an unattractive and wrong sign

Paul Rands

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Oct 2020, at 21:29, stuarthwy87 <avign...@gmail.com> wrote:

found another one

DrazPhlaz

Oct 11, 2020, 8:38:29 PM10/11/20
to Aussie Highways
I hate the northern end of the Hunter Expressway, it feels so half-assed it’s not funny. No real intersection, A43 just ends and then you’re whisked back onto the freeway towards Newcastle and forced to u-turn

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 12, 2020, 1:20:18 AM10/12/20
to Aussie Highways
well, wait for the M15 extension to happen.

Musa Hodzic

Oct 14, 2020, 12:27:20 AM10/14/20
to Aussie Highways
Here's a fresh one from today :) Seems wrong and not as big as I thought they were going to be. Pretty much the same size and placement as with borders.

20201014_140040.jpg

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 14, 2020, 4:35:44 AM10/14/20
to Aussie Highways
someone else posted that above

aussieh...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2020, 3:23:20 AM10/16/20
to Aussie Highways

Spotted these two today.

You can't really tell from the photo, but the yellow is really bright – much more so than the usual ones from when they were in the white border.
A1.jpg

Brendan Terrett

Oct 16, 2020, 3:52:27 AM10/16/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 16, 2020, 4:12:00 AM10/16/20
to Aussie Highways
it looks more like someones vandalised the A1 and the M5 than how it really is printed

I hate borderless signage. Looks more nicer with the border

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 16, 2020, 4:31:00 AM10/16/20
to Aussie Highways
even this one looks better, and same with the incorrect A15 sign

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 19.29.44.png

Musa Hodzic

Oct 17, 2020, 9:38:33 AM10/17/20
to Aussie Highways
Those borderless look awesome, just the white patch and street font don't have the right size and spacing.

Musa Hodzic

Oct 17, 2020, 9:39:23 AM10/17/20
to Aussie Highways
Haha, M5 SR shield colours.

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 18, 2020, 1:22:36 AM10/18/20
to Aussie Highways
I thought they were Toll colours and then I realised that the M5 didn't have tolls back then

Musa Hodzic

Oct 21, 2020, 7:59:19 PM10/21/20
to Aussie Highways
Here's another one. Sorry about the quality.

20201001_152923-01.jpg

Nihat

Oct 21, 2020, 8:07:43 PM10/21/20
to Aussie Highways
as part of the Smart motorway M4 I thought they would be installing these type of signs alas nothing occurred.

aussieh...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2020, 8:16:48 PM10/21/20
to Aussie Highways
Here's a screenshot from my dashcam of the same sign.
M5.jpg

Paul Rands

Oct 21, 2020, 11:54:22 PM10/21/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
That dash cam shot is amazing quality. What cam are you using?
--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Musa Hodzic

Oct 22, 2020, 12:59:08 AM10/22/20
to Aussie Highways

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 22, 2020, 1:20:57 AM10/22/20
to Aussie Highways
they could have changed the A1/D5 signs

aussieh...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2020, 1:29:44 AM10/22/20
to Aussie Highways
I'm using a GoPro Hero9 as my dashcam as it has 5K resolution. I run it off the car's USB power.

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 22, 2020, 3:44:51 AM10/22/20
to Aussie Highways

Paul Rands

Oct 22, 2020, 3:49:55 AM10/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Nice. I had considered going to a Go Pro before I settled on another Sony camera for photos for the site.
--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Sam Laybutt

Oct 22, 2020, 10:53:14 AM10/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I hope you're joking, these layouts are definitely not aesthetic.

Oct 22, 2020, 7:10:46 PM10/22/20
to Aussie Highways
I agree. Looks crammed.

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 23, 2020, 2:33:24 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
Okay, so mabye I was being sarcastic but I do like SA style markers.

kakaduhwyA21 (formerly stuarthwy87)

Oct 23, 2020, 2:42:20 AM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways
There will still be bordered signs in the ACT

If the ACT does nothing and all NSW signs are borderless, then there will always be this ACT sign in NSW.

and strangely enough, there's a bordered sign in QLD

On Friday, 5 June 2020 10:22:36 UTC+10, Brad Forbes wrote:
Noticed the lack of border on new signage in bushfire impacted areas on the south coast (see attached pic).

On Monday, 1 June 2020 23:58:55 UTC+10, Musa Hodzic  wrote:
> Yes Vincent, I also noticed that, except that in other states the line of the arrow is centered in the lane whereas in NSW, the whole arrow in centered, which is neater and better IMO. NSW was the only state to have different style turning arrows.
>

> Also, I never actually liked the alphas and if I was to choose, I always preferred them WITHOUT the border. The border seemed to carry on from the shield system, was kinda hard letting it go. If they want to keep the coverplate people busy, well, I wish they bring back the shield system and start from scratch (I'm being silly, but I miss the shields).
>

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, 09:36 Vincent Muller, <vincent...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This seems to speak to the wider trend of standardising signage and markings in NSW. Another example I can point towards - the specifications for pavement arrows looks to have been updated in 2014, and arrows in NSW now more closely resemble those in Victoria/Queensland per the provisions outlined in AS1742.
>

> On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 8:46 PM Aevion <vortec-...@live.com.au> wrote:
>
> Definitely prefer the bordered numbers, but I also understand why they'd want to standardise it all. That being said, in the name of 'standardisation' it would be nice to finally see a full changeover to alphas country-wide.
>
> On Sunday, 31 May 2020 18:41:49 UTC+10, Brendan Terrett  wrote:RIP our sexy alpha borders. Now we have to deal with crap naked alphas like the rest of the country :(
>

> There are several signs lining the M5 East recently installed which have borderless alphas, and apparently replacement signage on the south coast following the bushfires has had the treatment.
>

> The exit sign example in the technical direction sheet looks pretty awful, but it's probably more a layout issue than anything else.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/f13f8c51-3562-4376-ad26-02ce2e995419%40googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aussie-highways/CAGWqG3D%2BYSdH0HDT66udHUNxyLnSOF%2BRnASYx4BUn_WRcCMY3g%40mail.gmail.com.

Musa Hodzic

Oct 23, 2020, 7:33:59 PM10/23/20
to Aussie Highways

kakaduhwy21

Oct 27, 2020, 5:21:46 AM10/27/20
to Aussie Highways
based on what I've been posting, I think, I've photoshopped more signs than there are real borderless signs.

(plus I haven't sent them all yet)

kakaduhwy21

Nov 5, 2020, 2:15:18 AM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
saw some brand new borderless signs on the A2 Windsor Road at the brand new HomeWorld display home at Box Hill

Paul Mech

Nov 5, 2020, 3:05:14 AM11/5/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
I noticed new, borderless A1 signs through where the bushfires ripped through 12 months ago south of Taree up to the Taree Service Centre off ramp.

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 Nov 2020, at 18:15, kakaduhwy21 <avign...@gmail.com> wrote:

saw some brand new borderless signs on the A2 Windsor Road at the brand new HomeWorld display home at Box Hill

li...@paulrands.com

Nov 5, 2020, 3:09:27 AM11/5/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Mech

Due to the weather, I was unable to get photos through the Taree / Purfleet area last month. No big deal, will do the run again once the highway is fully open (bar Coffs and Hexham Bypasses)

---

Paul Rands

kakaduhwy21

Nov 5, 2020, 4:57:09 AM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
they should have installed M1 signs instead.

kakaduhwy21

Nov 5, 2020, 4:58:44 AM11/5/20
to Aussie Highways
I will do a run if QLD open the borders to us

doratroad23 (formerly kakaduhwy21)

Nov 23, 2020, 8:22:28 PM11/23/20
to Aussie Highways
Saw a B73 sign without borders. Also more about the A15 ugly sign. It was apparently installed before the standards changed. This was there in 2019 street view. This means this is the oldest borderless sign. There's also a borderless M12 sign at the NSW/QLD border for ages on the Gold Coast Highway. It however looks like a DTMR design.

But there was a VicRoads B400 that crept over the Murray. Would that be the oldest?

Paul Rands

Nov 25, 2020, 1:03:18 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah the M1 at the Gold Coast at the border is going to be a QMR sign, it was the same with the old End M1 / Start NR1 signs

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Sam Laybutt

Nov 25, 2020, 1:33:21 AM11/25/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
If this is the sign at the border - https://goo.gl/maps/ENpB8fqofhMcUorD8 - it's very much in QLD, not NSW, so can't be an example of a NSW borderless alpha-numeric sign.

The fact it has the wrong route number and road name also gives away its Queensland origins 😂

Dec 18, 2020, 6:04:25 PM12/18/20
to Aussie Highways
Went along the entire Hume yesterday, no borderless alphas :(

Also, nearly 90% of the signs on the Princes Highway from Jervis Bay to Ulladulla are borderless, no borderless signs from Bega to Eden, then south of Eden, you'd see 3 or 4 borderless signs

Richard Wardle

Dec 19, 2020, 6:38:01 AM12/19/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

There’s still a NH31 shield at Ettamogah heading towards Sydney

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Paul Rands

Dec 22, 2020, 10:35:14 PM12/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the update.

I had hoped to get some driving in between Xmas / New Years, but with the constantly changing restrictions, it might be best to stay inside the ACT for now.

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Paul Rands

Dec 22, 2020, 10:36:03 PM12/22/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 23, 2020, 8:12:31 AM12/23/20
to Aussie Highways
coverplate

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 23, 2020, 8:12:47 AM12/23/20
to Aussie Highways
Also a little off topic but I saw a National Route 31 sign in Victoria for the Old Historic Hume. It ain't a remnant because this was deliberately added on a coverplate.

So NR31 may be Vic's last National Route aside from Alt-NR1 which I suppose will be gone soon.

Paul Rands

Dec 24, 2020, 7:29:31 AM12/24/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Impressed it's still on there

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

Paul Rands

Dec 24, 2020, 7:30:20 AM12/24/20
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Those NR31 signs are part of a local tourism group to get people to use the old highway, similar to that in the US for Rt 66

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Dec 28, 2020, 6:53:43 AM12/28/20
to Aussie Highways
Saw some brand new A32 fingerboard signs at the following junctions:
  • Forest Ridge Road
  • Sunny Corner Road
  • Wallan Road
Sadly too rainy to see any more and take a photo.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 4, 2021, 2:31:58 AM1/4/21
to Aussie Highways
saw some bad looking DTMR style B55's in Capertree. Also saw Good looking RMS style A32's at Saxa Road

Michael Mak

Jan 4, 2021, 2:53:57 AM1/4/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Saw a few borderless signs on B72 between Tumut and Adaminaby this afternoon. They look pretty good.

At the end of Hume Motorway near Berrima, there is an A31 reassurance sign which quickly followed by a M31 Distance sign. I believe that one has been up there for a while now? It replaced the old chopsticks sign.

Envoyé de mon iPad

Le 4 janv. 2021 à 18:31, #130km/hforthehume <thenorthernt...@gmail.com> a écrit :

saw some bad looking DTMR style B55's in Capertree. Also saw Good looking RMS style A32's at Saxa Road

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 4, 2021, 10:59:32 PM1/4/21
to Aussie Highways
glad those aren't DTMR (QMR) looking ones.

So to clarify, here's a list of routes with borderless signs (that someone here has spotted):

M1/A1
M2/A2
M4
M5
A15
A32
B55
B59
B72
B73

tbh for one year, it aint a lot

harley.b...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2021, 1:23:50 AM1/5/21
to Aussie Highways
Spotted some borderless signs on the very northern end of the Newell Highway, between Boggabilla and Goondiwindi at Christmas time, including an incorrect fingerboard at the Gunsynd Way intersection showing 'A32' instead of 'A39'. No pics sorry as we were preparing for our border checkpoint.

Sam Laybutt

Jan 5, 2021, 1:52:27 AM1/5/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This seems fairly standard to me - new signs for major projects, bushfire replacements and general maintenance replacements will have borderless alphas but this is not a formal rollout like the initial introduction of alphas was. The standard also only changed during the year, and there's always a lag with major projects that would have designs finalised a long time before opening.

Jan 5, 2021, 5:40:19 AM1/5/21
to Aussie Highways
Awesome pickup! Thanks for that! Sometimes these errors seem so unbelievable and then next time I am in the same place they're fixed and I wonder if it was me that was seeing things :P

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 5, 2021, 9:10:37 PM1/5/21
to Aussie Highways
Mainly that there were no signs that I spotted on the Hume, and Newell (with the correct route number)

But then, the Princes Highway has more than 50% borderless signs overall.

Jason Kumar

Jan 6, 2021, 12:42:33 AM1/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Spotted a borderless AD sign showing B84 on the start (or is end?) of the Golden Hwy when turning left off the New England (A15).

Jason.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 8, 2021, 11:30:47 PM1/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Series E or D? I have never seen a B84 in Series E and this would probably be a first.

and for "This seems fairly standard to me - new signs for major projects, bushfire replacements and general maintenance replacements will have borderless alphas but this is not a formal rollout like the initial introduction of alphas was. The standard also only changed during the year, and there's always a lag with major projects that would have designs finalised a long time before opening."

well, lets take it this way, there are probably more borderless signs in NSW than there are alpha signs(with a route number) in the NT as a total.

Jason Kumar

Jan 9, 2021, 7:50:53 PM1/9/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 9, 2021, 11:55:31 PM1/9/21
to Aussie Highways
Understandable. Most likely an E though as the only borderless D is on the B59 Chifley Road. See photo above

Paul Rands

Jan 12, 2021, 5:43:15 AM1/12/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I agree.

If RMS wanted to remove the borders, they could send crews armed with a sticker to go over it, however I suspect the signs will remain as they are until maintenance replacements go in. As it is, there's still thousands of signs with coverplates over shielded routes in service.

I think given a design has been reviewed and settled, the long awaited / hinted at second alpha roll out phase might get some traction

Paul Rands

Jan 12, 2021, 5:44:26 AM1/12/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 15, 2021, 7:06:43 PM1/15/21
to Aussie Highways
Image of the new A32 at the Saxa Road junction
Thanks to Great Aussie Drives for the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKXoQtaA0c

Saxa road A32.png

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 15, 2021, 7:06:43 PM1/15/21
to Aussie Highways

ed24f1

Jan 15, 2021, 9:52:24 PM1/15/21
to Aussie Highways
Saw a A1/A43 without border at Hexham last week

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 16, 2021, 7:18:55 AM1/16/21
to Aussie Highways
did it have a slash or not?

ed24f1

Jan 17, 2021, 2:35:01 AM1/17/21
to Aussie Highways
No it didn't - i can see now that was misleading.

#130km/hforthehume

Jan 18, 2021, 10:35:58 PM1/18/21
to Aussie Highways
but which sign was it a replacement of?

1

Sam Laybutt

Jan 19, 2021, 1:22:51 AM1/19/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
This one confused me until I realised the name for Cobbora Rd has been changed. I guess that explains the new sign(s).
A road in the former Wellington Shire will be renamed to help avoid confusion for emergency services.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:58:09 PM1/19/21
to Aussie Highways
there was one northbound too but that was also replaced the sign which had the name change

Paul Rands

Jan 23, 2021, 7:20:47 AM1/23/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

I think there's also a Cobbora in a couple of other towns nearby too.

#130km/hforthehume

Mar 28, 2021, 8:44:54 PM3/28/21
to Aussie Highways
saw a bunch of borderless A44's at the very northern end of Mulgoa Road.
It is loading more messages.