F3 Freeway reminants

Adrian Biankin

May 17, 2021, 9:12:45 PM5/17/21
to Aussie Highways
Went around to Mangrove Mountain a few days ago and found some remnants of the old F3 freeway route markers and signs. Surprised that they haven't cover plate or replaced these yet. Pretty cool to see these.

Sam Laybutt

May 17, 2021, 9:13:35 PM5/17/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian, welcome to the group. You will need to change the permissions for these links to allow public viewing.

Cheers
Sam

May 17, 2021, 10:05:51 PM5/17/21
to Aussie Highways
Hi Sam,
Should be fixed now.

- Adrian

#130km/hforthehume

May 18, 2021, 9:45:29 PM5/18/21
to Aussie Highways
There's one more on the B83 Pacific Highway as well

Tom

May 19, 2021, 6:39:20 AM5/19/21
to Aussie Highways
The first is relatively modern. It dates from the period when they used "F3 FREEWAY" as the road name, as opposed to a route number (which was NH1 at this time).
The second is interesting, as it does appear to be a route number. There was some debate on Wikipedia as to whether the F3 was ever signed; looks like it was (still is!).

Sam Laybutt

May 19, 2021, 10:05:52 AM5/19/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
The second photo is a Clowncil error at Teralba, here: https://goo.gl/maps/AA8vbQ8cGkkYawkS9
Definitely not an official route number, and only appeared in the early 2000s(?), long after F-routes were defunct in NSW.
So far as this group has been able to find, there's no evidence the route number 'F3' was ever signed.

May 20, 2021, 6:23:58 AM5/20/21
to Aussie Highways
This was posted by Brendan Terrett on the Facebook page a while back
65086003_2697840006910271_6842553570261204992_n.jpg

#130km/hforthehume

May 20, 2021, 8:57:03 AM5/20/21
to Aussie Highways
not a remnant F3, but here's a remnant 83
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 22.38.23.png

Paul Rands

Jun 6, 2021, 3:17:32 AM6/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Holy sheet, I need a towel!!

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 6, 2021, 7:55:58 AM6/6/21
to Aussie Highways
after all, it was signed. time for ozroads, expressway and wikipedia updates ;)

Paul Rands

Jun 6, 2021, 8:34:30 AM6/6/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

No need for me to worry, my site shows it signposted as F3 already :)

Adrian Biankin

Jun 8, 2021, 7:59:15 AM6/8/21
to Aussie Highways
Hey Paul,
On your route marker graphics page on expressway.online, it still says the F3 wasn't signposted.... Just an FYI :)

Capture.PNG

Paul Rands

Jun 9, 2021, 11:45:04 PM6/9/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Adrian

Thanks for the heads up, been ages since I've looked at that page, so I had forgotten about it :) Fixed now!

#130km/hforthehume

Jun 10, 2021, 6:00:59 AM6/10/21
to Aussie Highways
reading this page: http://www.expressway.online/gallery/roads/nsw/numbered/touristdrives/td33_centralcoast/index.html

"Peats Ridge Rd carried expressway traffic for 22 years (12 years as NH1) until the 7km shorter expressway route between Calga and Somersby opened to traffic. Some of the original route was retained, the 7km between Somersby and Ourimbah was duplicated and incorporated into the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway. National Highway 1 was removed from Peats Ridge Rd in December 1986, however signage remained along the expressway section well into 2004.1 1"

so did NH1 go onto Peats Ridge Road before 1986?
Also, that page also has F3 on it, and still an SR82 on it

Paul Rands

Jun 10, 2021, 6:04:09 AM6/10/21
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Yes NH1 did go via Peats Ridge before 86. Sam even has photos of it signposted along there on his OzRoads site.

The SR82 was probably missed because I'd forgotten all about the duplex when NSW went to alphas. I will have to change it. The page is meant to have F3 on it, as it's explaining where the route went and what was signposted

--
Paul Rands
li...@paulrands.com