Vin # plate

Kevin Gonzales

Jul 7, 2021, 7:15:07 PM7/7/21
to AuroraCobra
I cant seem to find my Vin# plate on my Aurora. it was a family heirloom that I received(super 208105533_10159706121057042_2093667241719157213_n.jpgStoked). Paperwork was started but never finished. Fun DMV Stuff for sure I'm guessing.

the web guy

Jul 7, 2021, 7:26:41 PM7/7/21
to AuroraCobra
Happy to help, Kevin. If it's the same as in in 2005, you'll need to register the Aurora as having passed the California Senate Bill 100 (SB-100) regulations. This proves compliance with current California emissions standards. I've written up a full description and will email it directly to you. It's a process, but the SB-100 plaque on your firewall will add significant value to the car in CA.
I recall the DMV inspector couldn't find my VIN on the frame, just the dash, and that one was short a few digits so there is no record as it ever having been built. Nevermind, their motive is principally emissions. It was all a pain in the butt, but finally accomplished. You will too.

Jim

Jul 7, 2021, 7:49:22 PM7/7/21
to 'Kevin Gonzales' via AuroraCobra

kevin, Do you know for sure this an Aurora, and not a kit car? Can you show pictures of the frame  and rear suspension. jim

On 7/7/2021 5:47 PM, 'Kevin Gonzales' via AuroraCobra wrote:
I cant seem to find my Vin# plate on my Aurora. it was a family heirloom that I received(super 208105533_10159706121057042_2093667241719157213_n.jpgStoked). Paperwork was started but never finished. Fun DMV Stuff for sure I'm guessing.  --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AuroraCobra" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/10cc0109-cf85-432c-bc62-19b7c86b78d9n%40googlegroups.com.

the web guy

Jul 7, 2021, 11:54:08 PM7/7/21
to AuroraCobra
Good observation, Jim. Different rear fender, mirror position, front wheel well, side vent position, cockpit cowling, etc.

Robert Young

Jul 8, 2021, 8:37:14 AM7/8/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin.....VERY nice car, love the mods on your Aurora! My S/N plate is located on the drivers side, located on the cowl just below the lip of the top surround. I can take a picture of it and forward if needed. Your state DMV should be able to assist with your title, but IF your family member/owner failed to register/title the car in his name, you might use the resources of this Forum to locate previous owner and work with them to obtain paperwork to assist your task.

You need to be driving this one - don't forget to wear your ear plugs.....appears as though you might need the with those cool side pipes! Keep us posted on your progress, or lack of it.

What state do you live in??

Respectfully,

Bob

Aurora #087

the web guy

Jul 28, 2021, 9:31:30 PM7/28/21
to AuroraCobra

Absolutely beautiful cobra. I’m pretty sure it’s not an Aurora as there are so few details which compare. The filler cap is Aurora style (but different orientation) and the MGB column was used by Aurora. Beyond these things, most details suggest another manufacturer.

1 Aurora never built the car to accommodate a 427 block
2 The body and fenders are like the FIA 427, common to Factory5 and Superformance for example
3 Tail lights, trunk latch, headlight rims are not Aurora
4 Custom dash is not Aurora, but a few Aurora owners have built custom dashboards to simulate early Shelby cobras.
5 Auroras had three wiper blades, MGB sourced
6 The hood looks like aluminum from the photo. Auroras were all fiberglass bodied.
7  The only frame member visible in the photos, in the engine bay under the left fender, is nothing like the Aurora frame.

I’d be fascinated to learn what suggests it’s an Aurora to you. If it began as an Aurora I’ve never seen one so modified. If you can authenticate the car as an Aurora we’d be glad to include it on the site. It sure would stand out, and would generate many comments from other Aurora owners.

The best and most enduring feature of auroracobra.org web site is the discussion group. I’d suggest you post the photos and get a response from other owners. Some may have a better idea of its manufacturer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, Tom Wallerich

the web guy

Aug 9, 2021, 3:56:03 PM8/9/21
to AuroraCobra
Kevin - It appears you don’t have an Aurora but a much more valuable and original cobra. You recently sent another photo showing the trunk lid. On it is the nameplate “AutoKraft,” which is described in Wikipedia :

Autokraft manufactured an AC 289 continuation car called the Autokraft Mk IV, basically a Mk III with a 4.95-litre (302 cu in) Ford V8 and Borg Warner T5 Transmission. The Mk IV also received an independent suspension.

In 1986, Autokraft (as a joint venture with Ford joining in 1987) purchased AC Cars, and produced the AC Mk IV Cobra, with a 186 kW (250 hp; 253 PS) at 4,200 rpm, 4,942-cubic-centimetre (301.6 cu in) Ford V8, which provided a top speed of 134 mph (215 km/h)and 0–62 mph (0–100 km/h) in 5.2 seconds.

At the 1990 Geneva Salon the Lightweight version was presented: weight was down to 1,070 kg (2,360 lb)(compared to 1,190 kg or 2,620 lb) and power was up to 276 kW (370 hp; 375 PS) at 5,750 rpm thanks to alloy heads, a Holley four-barrel carburettor, and no catalytic converter. While the Lightweight did not meet US federal regulations, the Mk IV did, and 480 cars of all versions were built until 1996

B Woody

Aug 12, 2021, 8:17:18 PM8/12/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
This is by far NOT an Auroraracobra  by any shape manner or form.

May I strongly suggest?
Taking this car to a "Quicky Lube" kinda place?
For an Oil Change....that has a "Pit" and "flip the Manager....say? 10-20$ ?
That will let you get down in to the "Pit" And let you take lots and lots of pictures.

Then upload all of those pics from underneath and above.
And post all the information and pictures on ClubCobra.com
This is a place that you will get an intelligent response from knowledgeable people.
  • You may get some possible negative comments but, for the most part...you will get more straight up chit...
  • Than anywhere else.
  • Hope that helps?

Dec 24, 2021, 8:14:09 PM12/24/21
to AuroraCobra
Hi Everybody....
 And thanks all for chiming in. I have all the paper work from day one when the car build was started. My cousin/Godfather was very eccentric and wealthy and did everything his way. Its funny I have all the conversations on papers from the build process between my cousin and the team at Jack Rousch etc. There was quite a bit of back and forth going on right down to the side pipes. "The chrome side pipes make it look like a semi truck" So all the paper work i have states its an Aurora. I know alot went into this car for sure and it also holds alot of mystery in my family because out of the many cars he owned no one new he owned this until he passed away and it was left to me in the trust.....Thanks Cous !! I love you man !!. But I love it its a Beast to say the least. I 'll search my paperwork for some more details and see what I can find. Thanks for the info and opinions everybody.
 Merry Xmas
Kevin (Santa Cruz Ca)

193.JPG