First post!

Nicholas Humfrey

Jun 9, 2019, 11:00:20 AM6/9/19
to Audio over IP
Hi!

I setup this mailing list and then forgot to post anything to it!
Thank you for signing up!

One of my main motivators for creating this mailing list is that there is very little about AES67 and Audio over IP out on the Internet. I guess most conversations are going on in private forums - standardisation processes, between vendors and their clients and within organisations - I am hoping to give people a place to ask questions and have discussions.

Professional audio and Audio over IP and will never be as big as technologies with broader applicability (such as Voice over IP), not least because equipment can be so expensive. But I still think there is a massive gap for Open Source in this space - particularly as AoIP quite literally pushes high quality audio into the software space. Hopefully by sharing information and links, we can help promote Open Source software in this space.

I created an 'AES67 Open Source Software Wishlist' a couple of years ago:

There are some comments at the end of the Gist - but it isn't a great way of communicating.

nick.

Jonathan DeWitt

Jun 26, 2019, 1:12:38 PM6/26/19
to Audio over IP
I'm considering reverse engineering the Dante protocol for my own uses, anyone seen this?

https://github.com/jsharkey/wycliffe

Nicholas Humfrey

Jun 26, 2019, 6:13:23 PM6/26/19
to Jonathan DeWitt, Audio over IP

Hi Janathan,

Reverse engineering Dante would be very cool! I am personally more interested in AES67 / standards based protocols - but what would be useful would be to be able configure Dante devices using some kind of API, so I can configure multicast AES67 flows, without having to run Dante Controller.

That repository looks like he is consuming audio over Dante in order to pick camera angles - but it looks pretty tailored to that specific application / his specific setup.

Documenting how the Dante protocol works would be a really good start...

nick.

On 2019-06-26 18:00, Jonathan DeWitt wrote:

I'm considering reverse engineering the Dante protocol for my own uses, anyone seen this?

https://github.com/jsharkey/wycliffe

Christopher Ritsen

Feb 14, 2022, 12:15:49 PM2/14/22
to Audio over IP
I've been working on this for years off and on, but in the past few weeks I've been putting together a python program that anyone could use. I'm not interested in implementing anything related to audio transport, but rather how to control and gather information about Dante devices. I've identified several valid commands and learned how to parse their responses, but the work is far from complete. I can only learn about devices I own, but I have enough of them to find non-standard behavior and to handle a variety of quirks. I've found a few features that aren't available in Dante Controller (for example, monitoring channel volume giving a value from 1-254, resetting channel and devices names). Someone from Audinate emailed me with support for this project, so I'm going to continue to explore this.