Building ATS2 from Github head.

Steinway Wu

Dec 31, 2020, 12:18:22 PM12/31/20
to ats-lang-users
Hi,

It seems the documentation at https://github.com/githwxi/ATS-Postiats/wiki/Building-and-installing as well as scripts at https://github.com/ats-lang/ats-lang.github.io/blob/master/SCRIPT/C9-ATS2-install-latest.sh are outdated. I’m trying both and encountered link errors.

Here’s what I did.

# installing ats1
wget …
./configure —prefix=…
make all_ngc
make install

# installing ats2
git clone …
export ATSHOME=…
export ATSHOMERELOC=ATS-0.2.12
make -f Makefile_devl

The errors I see is undefined reference to symbols like _2root_2parts_2ats1_2build_2libatsdoc_... Using nm to view the symbols of libatsdoc.a, I can see they are named like ATS_2d0_2e2_2e12_2libatsdoc_... instead.

There was a post https://groups.google.com/g/ats-lang-users/c/uKlIX4jcL0Y/m/nKf8oezDBAAJ with the same error, but I believe I correctly set ATSHOMERELOC

Any idea what I’m missing?

gmhwxi

Dec 31, 2020, 1:31:10 PM12/31/20
to ats-lang-users

Maybe this has something to do with where the ATS2 package is stored on your computer.
Could you try something like:

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ats-lang/ats-lang/anairiats-0.2.12/ats-lang-anairiats-0.2.12.tgz
tar xf ats-lang-anairiats-0.2.12.tgz
cd ats-lang-anairiats-0.2.12/
export ATSHOME=${PWD}
export ATSHOMERELOC=ATS-0.2.12
./configure && make all

Just tried. This script works for me.

Steinway Wu

Dec 31, 2020, 7:50:20 PM12/31/20
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
It is so weird, turns out that

ATSHOME=/some/path/with/../../in/it make -f Makefile_devl all

will fail, but

ATSHOME=/some/absolute/path/with/no/dot make -f Makefile_devl all

works.

Any idea what could have caused that? Is it a Make issue or is it an ATS compiler issue?

Steinway Wu
吴翰文

Google Cloud

I'm not a coder.
I'm an artist of life.

Hongwei Xi

Dec 31, 2020, 10:20:57 PM12/31/20
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com

This is an issue of the ATS2/Postiats compiler because it uses the absolute path of a file
to create a name during compilation for the package stored in the file. This is not a reliable
approach. Hopefully, something better can be used for ATS3. One possibility is to just follow
what Java does.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ats-lang-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ats-lang-users/CAL-Unv9pvBNQtcQwK_wJ-wVdzmS-2HmnmZzKLr_SoTKonBVPmA%40mail.gmail.com.