not that i like javascript systems at all but

Raoul Duke

May 10, 2016, 7:43:26 PM5/10/16
to ats-lang-users
Has anybody had the infinite luxury of trying to use Duetoo/Cheerp
with ATS to run it on a JavaScript platform? In theory ends up being
quite performant even vs. Emscripten.

http://www.leaningtech.com/cheerp/

gmhwxi

May 10, 2016, 9:17:33 PM5/10/16
to ats-lang-users

Before moving forward on this, I'd like to know whether
someone could use Cheerp to compile libgc (Boehm-GC).
Without libgc, ATS programs in functional style cannot run for long
before memory is exhausted.

Raoul Duke

May 12, 2016, 1:29:19 PM5/12/16
to ats-lang-users
hi,

If one were to use ATS with linear types etc., to avoid needing a GC at all, then could ATS generate C++ which then goes to Cheerp, and then Cheerp basically ignores any "free" statements and leaves those up to the JavaScript GC instead?

Hongwei Xi

May 12, 2016, 4:25:12 PM5/12/16
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com

But that is a very EXPENSIVE way to write JS code.

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,

If one were to use ATS with linear types etc., to avoid needing a GC at all, then could ATS generate C++ which then goes to Cheerp, and then Cheerp basically ignores any "free" statements and leaves those up to the JavaScript GC instead?

Raoul Duke

May 12, 2016, 4:44:19 PM5/12/16
to ats-lang-users

In what sense do you mean?

Raoul Duke

May 12, 2016, 4:45:12 PM5/12/16
to ats-lang-users

PS, for me it is not only about JS. It is about targeting as many back ends as possible.

Hongwei Xi

May 12, 2016, 4:56:15 PM5/12/16
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Manual memory management.