ATS2 -> ATS3 Migration Effort

aditya siram

Jan 15, 2019, 9:37:27 AM1/15/19
to ats-lang-users
I know it's early to ask this but do you anticipate a large migration effort between ATS2 and ATS3? Are you planning to change significant portions of the syntax, cut any large features etc? I'm working on something that's liable to grow to 7-10,000 LOC and trying to figure out if I should wait for ATS3.

Thanks!

Hongwei Xi

Jan 15, 2019, 10:11:57 AM1/15/19
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Please don't wait!

As far as I can tell, all the features in ATS2 should be
supported in ATS3. And the syntax of ATS3 is nearly all
based on that of ATS2. There are only minor changes and
some additions.

Translating ATS2 code into ATS3 should be straightforward.
As matter of fact, I myself plan to translate the compiler of ATS3
(written in ATS2) into ATS3 once ATS3 is ready. I think I would be
able to translate at least 10K lines a day :)

Cheers!

--Hongwei

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:37 AM aditya siram <aditya...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know it's early to ask this but do you anticipate a large migration effort between ATS2 and ATS3? Are you planning to change significant portions of the syntax, cut any large features etc? I'm working on something that's liable to grow to 7-10,000 LOC and trying to figure out if I should wait for ATS3.

Thanks!

Kiwamu Okabe

Jan 16, 2019, 12:06:36 AM1/16/19
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:37 PM aditya siram <aditya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know it's early to ask this but do you anticipate a large migration effort between ATS2 and ATS3?

Do you mean "we need a translator to ATS3 code from ATS2 code"?
I believe someone, include me, can create such translator using
following library:

* https://github.com/vmchale/atspkg/tree/master/language-ats to parse ATS2 code
* https://github.com/vmchale/language-xats to print ATS3 code

But above ATS3 pretty-printer is not yet written.

Best regards,
--
Kiwamu Okabe at METASEPI DESIGN

Artyom Shalkhakov

Jan 21, 2019, 4:17:03 AM1/21/19
to ats-lang-users
The previous time migration was mostly painless. There were some changes for sure but most code could be translated either outright trivially, or mostly straightforwardly.

Off the top of my head, most changes were:

1. different syntax for dataviewtypes and a different default when pattern-matching
2. some tooling was not ported (i.e. atsdoc and atslex)
3. the addition of function template obsoleted many uses of higher-order functions
4. minor changes to naming of prelude functions / more uses of function templates instead of higher-order functions