Learn ATS in Y minutes -- request for documentation review

mark.l....@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2021, 1:30:43 AM1/17/21
to ats-lang-users
Hi all,

Learn X in Y Minutes has community-made documentation for programming languages and tools, as example-driven "whirlwind tours" of each languages' features.  I made one for ATS, since none existed and I think it's a great documentation format to have.  Here's the rendered markdown, and the associated PR.  It's about 500 lines of well-commented ATS, and introduces language features as you read it.

I'm still relatively inexperienced in ATS, so I'd appreciate reviews to make sure all the explanations are sound and to make the code more idiomatic.  Reviews from less experienced ATS users would also be particularly welcome, to make sure it addresses the confusions you had when first using ATS.

Learn X in Y Minutes has been really helpful to me in the past learning other languages, since reading good code can be a great way to learn.  I hope we can make this equally helpful to new ATS programmers.

Thanks,

-Mark Barbone

artyom.s...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2021, 3:48:03 AM1/17/21
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

This is great. Thanks! I’ll take a closer look.

Надіслано з iPhone

17 січ. 2021 р. о 08:30 mark.l....@gmail.com <mark.l....@gmail.com> пише:

Hongwei Xi

Jan 17, 2021, 10:14:12 AM1/17/21
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark!

I took a quick read.

Your description of various ATS2 features is accurate.

To be honest, I myself often forget how certain things are done in ATS2 and
have to use 'grep' to find code examples helping me figure out. For example,
I find the information in Part 5 particularly helpful!

Given the scarcity of ATS2 documentation, I am also quite amazed by your being
able to figure out some very intricate features of ATS2 on your own.

Cheers!

--Hongwei

Peter Damoc

May 12, 2021, 12:08:59 AM5/12/21
to ats-lang-users
This is a wonderful resource!

Another thing that I think would be useful for beginners is a short but complete example of the entire ATS syntax.
In other words, a minimal file that would require the entire parser to be implemented in order to pass compilation.

Thanks,
Peter

Timmy Jose

Sep 27, 2021, 12:24:08 AM9/27/21
to ats-lang-users
Hello Mark,

The resource looks quite useful , especially to a beginner like myself. I'm a bit miffed that the PR has been open for a very long time. Hopefully it will get merged in soon. As an aside, if you could post an expanded version of the materials, it would be very useful as well. Just a suggestion!

Best Regards,

Timmy