vobject not found: git --recursive fails & missing vobject lib in source .tar.gz

David Dynerman

Sep 21, 2014, 10:50:07 AM9/21/14
to as...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to get ASynK bbdb<->carddav working and encountering an immediate error when following the example profile setup/dry run sync described here:

Section "Steps"

https://github.com/skarra/ASynK/blob/master/.stash/README.CardDAV.org

The error thrown is:

  File "./asynk.py", line 1057, in login_cd
    raise AsynkError("%s: Cannot use any CardDAV accounts" % e)
__main__.AsynkError: cannot import name vobject: Cannot use any CardDAV accounts

I searched around and found this error might be caused by an incomplete sync. However, a r

$ git clone --recursive https://github.com/skarra/ASynK.git

fails once it descends into gdata:

Cloning into 'lib/.gdata'...
Permission denied (publickey).
Clone of 'g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git' into submodule path 'lib/.gdata' failed

The result is that the vobject subdirectory is empty, which probably shouldn't be the case:

$ ls -ls ASynK/lib/vobject/
$

I also tried downloading the source directory, but that seems to ALSO be missing vobject:

$ wget https://github.com/skarra/ASynK/archive/v2.0.0-rc2.zip
$ unzip v2.0.0-rc2.zip
$ ls -ls ASynK-2.0.0-rc2/lib/vobject/
$

Is this an error? Should that directory be empty? I have no way of knowing if my installation is broken, or if this is a problem with my sync configuration. For what it's worth, the "gold" unit tests in the source directory all pass, but those aren't doing CardDav. The test_cd.py fails with the same vobject error.

Thank you!
David

Sriram Karra

Sep 21, 2014, 12:54:29 PM9/21/14
to as...@googlegroups.com

Can you try a "git submodule update --init" ?

For some reason they did not get checked out. None of the directories inside lib/ should be empty. That is a sign you need to update the submodules properly.

The gold that coverage is nowhere near complete...

David Dynerman

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55:09 PM9/21/14
to as...@googlegroups.com
Same error, access denied trying to get the gdata submodule:

$ git submodule update --init

Cloning into 'lib/.gdata'...
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

Clone of 'g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git' into submodule path 'lib/.gdata' failed

This happens both from my home and work IPs, and on my laptop and work computer, so I don't think it's a local problem on my end.

In any case, why is lib/vobject empty in the source .tar.gz? Shouldn't that contain the full snapshot, even if git is failing to get the latest?

Sriram Karra

Sep 21, 2014, 10:38:13 PM9/21/14
to as...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM, David Dynerman <david.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Same error, access denied trying to get the gdata submodule:

$ git submodule update --init
Cloning into 'lib/.gdata'...
Permission denied (publickey).

This is definitely very strange. Can you clone that submodule manually using one of the following URLs:

git clone g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git

and the repository exists.
Clone of 'g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git' into submodule path 'lib/.gdata' failed

This happens both from my home and work IPs, and on my laptop and work computer, so I don't think it's a local problem on my end.

In any case, why is lib/vobject empty in the source .tar.gz? Shouldn't that contain the full snapshot, even if git is failing to get the latest?

Submodules are not included in the github zip / tar files. See here: https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/acts/2012/10/18/github-zip-doesnt-include-submodules/

David Dynerman

Sep 22, 2014, 9:12:37 AM9/22/14
to as...@googlegroups.com

Directly checking out the submodules did work -

git clone g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git
git clone g...@github.com:skarra/vobject.git

I think I have a guess at what's going on. The same access denied error I was getting on .gdata also happens when I request a garbage URL:

$ git clone g...@github.com:skarra/non-existing-repository-hello.git
Cloning into 'non-existing-repository-hello'...
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

The ASynK repository has sym links to some of these submodules - is it possible that they're pointing to non-existing files on github causing it to fail? Or that git --clone isn't following symlinks somehow?

In any case, I can run ASynK now, so I'll go ahead and test it to see if it can perform bbdb <-> carddav

Thanks for all your help,
David

Sriram Karra

Sep 23, 2014, 7:34:02 AM9/23/14
to as...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I am not a Git expert by a long shot and this is a bit baffling.  But I am glad you got the stuff set up. Let me know how the sync goes.

jemin

Jun 15, 2015, 8:02:55 AM6/15/15
to as...@googlegroups.com
I'm having exactly this issue. However, cloning using

git clone g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git
git clone g...@github.com:skarra/vobject.git

fails with the same message:

➜ lib git:(master) ✗ git clone g...@github.com:skarra/Google-Contacts-API.git
Cloning into 'Google-Contacts-API'...
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

shavkat....@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2015, 11:16:13 AM6/15/15
to as...@googlegroups.com, shavkat....@gmail.com
Nevermind, I did not have any public key on Git.