Processing of fits.fz files

Erik Br

Oct 18, 2022, 2:27:41 PM10/18/22
to astrometry
Hi,
I have managed to run astrometry locally, however it has some differences including that I cant process fits.fz files whereas on nova.astrometry.net it works without problems.

Error:
...e "process_submissions.py", line 536, in dosub img = get_or_create_image(df) File "process_submissions.py", line 592, in get_or_create_image raise Exception('This file\'s type is not supported.') Exception: This file's type is not supported.

FYI: fits.fz is compressed using https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/fitsio/fpack/

Do you know any tweaks to get that stuff working?

I'm thankful for every help that I get!

Kind regards,
Erik

Dustin Lang

Oct 18, 2022, 2:35:03 PM10/18/22
to Erik Br, astrometry
What are you running locally -- a local version of the web site?  Using what code / docker container / ?

Handling .fz files in process_submissions.py happens here,
and requires the 'fitsio' Python library (pip install fitsio), as well as the "funpack" program from that link you gave.

cheers,
dustin

Erik Br

Oct 18, 2022, 3:23:36 PM10/18/22
to astrometry
Yes Im running a local version of the website.
Im using the docker image "dam90/astrometry" which is more or less a clone of the "dstndstn/"  image.

I ran an ipython console and executed the method uncompress_file("testdata.fits.fz","testdata.fits")
and logging resulted that the file is not compressed.

DEBUG:File: "FITS image data, 16-bit, two's complement binary integer"
Logged from file image2pnm.py, line 97
DEBUG:File is not compressed: "FITS image data"

but when I open the file with astropy.io.fits

it states that it is of type astropy.io.fits.hdu.compressed.CompImageHDU

I dont know what to do...

cheers,
Erik

Dustin Lang

Oct 18, 2022, 3:25:47 PM10/18/22
to Erik Br, astrometry
you have the python fitsio package installed?

Erik Br

Oct 18, 2022, 3:28:35 PM10/18/22
to astrometry

Did check it now. Yes.