[IAC2022] Mentioning of Astrometry.net last week :)

Andreas Hornig

Oct 1, 2022, 5:59:56 AM10/1/22
to astrometry
Hi there,

I just wanted to tell the community and especially the project team that Astrometry.net was mentioned during the International Astronautical Congress (IAC2022) in Paris last week.

It was shown for example in the Small Satellite Operations (B4.3) session during the talk...
by Dr. Boris Segret, Observatoire de Paris, France
"Image-based characterization of a CubeSat's ADCS"

I took some photos (because it was great to recognize the typical style and then even hear the name during my chaired session).

Maybe astrometry was mentioned more, but I am not yet through all the papers of interes in the proceeding :).

It feels nice to see a software I love to use at the congresses.

Best regards,

Andreas

Eric SIBERT

Oct 1, 2022, 7:15:42 AM10/1/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

That is very interesting seeing AN being used in satellites. But that is
also strange that they use a tool that is mostly a proof of concept. It
would be nice if they can find a founding to rewrite a portable code. It
may be too expensive for a single nanosat but as they want to propose "a
generic approach for new nanosatellites", there may be an opportunity.

Regards

Eric

Andreas Hornig

Oct 1, 2022, 8:39:05 AM10/1/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 1:15 PM Eric SIBERT <cour...@eric.sibert.fr> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

That is very interesting seeing AN being used in satellites.

As far as I understood it, it was used on-ground during post-processing. I am not fully sure because he was fast in this aspect :).

But that is
also strange that they use a tool that is mostly a proof of concept.

For me it is not strange. AN is a powerful tool and people use what is "best" for their task.

It
would be nice if they can find a founding to rewrite a portable code. It
may be too expensive for a single nanosat but as they want to propose "a
generic approach for new nanosatellites", there may be an opportunity.

Let's see what else is still happening with the OPSSAT mission. It is there to test new software and techniques and have done so with other "call for ideas".[0]

And yes, there are many other opportunities. I have seen AN in previous IAC papers including my own. This is why I tell about it, because maybe people here on this list were not attending the IAC.

Best regards,

Andreas

Dustin Lang

Oct 1, 2022, 10:47:54 AM10/1/22
to Eric SIBERT, astrometry
Astrometry.net is used in production in a bunch of projects, so I'm not sure what you think is "proof of concept" or not portable about it.  It flew onboard SOFIA, it's used by high-altitude balloon experiments for real-time pointing, International Space Station experiments, and many small- and medium-sized research observatories, as well as having processed millions of uploaded images.

cheers,
dustin