Error "Secure connection failed"

Mariana Rubet

Nov 6, 2021, 7:00:54 AM11/6/21
to astrometry
I uploaded a list of images but I can't receive the files with wcs updated because "the authenticity of the received data could not be proven".

I tried to change the security settings and it still doesn't work

I'm on a DELL notebook.

Do you know a solution for this?

Dustin Lang

Nov 6, 2021, 8:30:21 AM11/6/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
What URL are you trying to retrieve?  What web browser or software are you using to fetch it?

Are you using the URL http://nova.astrometry.net or httpS://nova.astrometry.net ?  The HTTPS version uses standard SSL security.

cheers,
--dustin

Mariana Rubet

Nov 6, 2021, 10:33:10 AM11/6/21
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Hi Dustin,
I'm using the URL with HTTPS, and my web navigator is Web Firefox

Dustin Lang

Nov 6, 2021, 10:47:37 AM11/6/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
What version of Firefox?

Mariana Rubet

Nov 6, 2021, 10:53:08 AM11/6/21
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Version 94.0 (64 bits)

Dustin Lang

Nov 6, 2021, 11:11:53 AM11/6/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
Thank you.

Could you please try again now?  I just set up DNS CAA -- maybe that's what it was complaining about?

I use Firefox 94.0.1 (64-bit) on Mac OSX... not sure why you are experiencing this error.  Your browser doesn't give you an option to download the content anyway, does it?

If you have the Web Developer Tools installed, could you try using that?  When you're in the nova.astrometry.net tab:  On Mac OSX, it's under the Tools menu -> Browser Tools -> Web Developer Tools, which pops up a new window.  Go to the Network tab, and reload the page / download.  When it finishes, go to the Security panel and take a screenshot?  eg, I get the attached.

Thanks!
--dustin

1.png

Hans

Nov 6, 2021, 2:26:33 PM11/6/21
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Hi Dustin,

Dustin Lang wrote on 20211106:
> Could you please try again now? I just set up DNS CAA -- maybe that's what
> it was complaining about?

FYI if you want to improve/know more on the SSL setup :
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=nova.astrometry.net

-- Hans

Dustin Lang

Nov 6, 2021, 2:36:33 PM11/6/21
to Hans, astrometry
That's exactly why I turned on CAA.  Do you see any other culprit that might be causing this issue?

Hans

Nov 6, 2021, 2:46:42 PM11/6/21
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Hi Dustin,

Dustin Lang wrote on 20211106:
> That's exactly why I turned on CAA.

Ah, good :)

> Do you see any other culprit that might be causing this issue?

After the CAA not anymore, just things to improve like removing the bbq.dfm.io
part (expired expired 1 year and 7 months ago) and adding TLS 1.3 support. The
rest of the list is noise to me. Maybe upgrade that nginx/1.14 someday :D

-- Hans

Pawel K

Nov 6, 2021, 2:47:37 PM11/6/21
to astrometry
I keep getting email notifications from this tread god knows why.
Anybody knows how can I disable it?

Bryan

Nov 6, 2021, 7:38:02 PM11/6/21
to astrometry
Pawel

See what the settings are under "My membership settings"

Bryan

Dustin Lang

Nov 7, 2021, 9:37:04 AM11/7/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
Hi Mariana,

I just turned on TLSv1.3, maybe that was the problem?  So could I get you to try yet again?

OR, do you happen to have an antivirus / security software running?  Sounds like some of them can be quite intrusive:

Would you mind checking with any other web browsers you happen to have installed?  It would be helpful to know if it's just Firefox or your whole 'puter.

Thanks!
--dustin