Is it possible for a picture to have too many stars?

Charles Jasper

Dec 27, 2021, 11:31:02 AM12/27/21
to astrometry
I have a picture from the Alabama Hills (east of Mount Whitney, CA) and it was damn near perfect dark skies. I've uploaded it two or three times and it's failed each time. I know in the bottom left is Orion. I'm trying to figure out so much more, from planets to galaxies to other stars and constellations. My Astronomy 100 course is from like, 20 years ago. Did I even take that? I took Rocks for Jocks...28E6FA72-69B2-4928-A882-055E8709667B.jpeg

Dustin Lang

Dec 27, 2021, 11:34:26 AM12/27/21
to Charles Jasper, astrometry
I would suggest setting the "Very wide field" setting.  Also check whether the source detection is working -- are the brightest stars circled correctly?

Nice shot!!

cheers,
--dustin

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 11:31 AM Charles Jasper <charles....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a picture from the Alabama Hills (east of Mount Whitney, CA) and it was damn near perfect dark skies. I've uploaded it two or three times and it's failed each time. I know in the bottom left is Orion. I'm trying to figure out so much more, from planets to galaxies to other stars and constellations. My Astronomy 100 course is from like, 20 years ago. Did I even take that? I took Rocks for Jocks...28E6FA72-69B2-4928-A882-055E8709667B.jpeg

Charles Jasper

Dec 27, 2021, 11:39:36 AM12/27/21
to astrometry
Yes, they are circled correctly! Thanks for the tip, I'm using very wide field and SExtractor and...something else, forgot what it was.

Charles Jasper

Dec 27, 2021, 11:41:52 AM12/27/21
to astrometry
Dang it, failed again.

Dustin Lang

Dec 27, 2021, 1:03:08 PM12/27/21
to Charles Jasper, astrometry
We do often have trouble with very wide fields.  One thing you can try is cropping out a section from the center of the image (where the distortion will be smaller).