index-52M1-XX.fits

Mark Copper

Nov 15, 2022, 9:24:22 PM11/15/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com
What are the index-52M1-n.fits, n= 10,14,28,31,36,38, for?

Dustin Lang

Nov 16, 2022, 8:54:03 AM11/16/22
to Mark Copper, astro...@googlegroups.com
In the index filenames, the convention is that the "52" means the "5200-series", and the next two digits are the scale, going from 00 to 19, where 00 contains features from 2 to 2.8 arcminutes in diameter.  That's just about the limit for what existing astrometric catalogs can support.  But we can push it a bit and go to "M1" (minus 1), with features 1.4 to 2 arcminutes.  Those are useful for solving JWST images.  I've only created a subset of those (probably corresponding to the places on the sky of the first few images from JWST!).

cheers,
dustin