Install astrometry in Windows via conda environment

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 12, 2022, 1:52:12 PM9/12/22
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,
Hello everybody

I have a question. I've installed the Anaconda platform on my Windows 10. It is really useful if you are coding in python because you can create, export, list, remove, and update environments that have different versions of Python and/or packages installed in them.
I've already created my conda environment where the astrometry.net package is in the list of the packages to install.
This list is an .yml file made in this way:

``````
name: my_environment
channels:
  - conda-forge

dependencies:
  - pip
  - python=3.9
  - numpy=1.22.3
  - astropy=5.0.4
  - astrometry=0.90
  and other packages
``````

In my Ubuntu OS this works fine. I run it and it installs each package.
Why, in Windows OS,  am I not able to install the astrometry.net package even following the same Ubuntu procedure? Is there an answer?

Hope I've been clear

Thanks for answering my questions

Gaetano

Dustin Lang

Sep 12, 2022, 2:08:56 PM9/12/22
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
I have no idea.  I don't use Windows.  (And I didn't write the astrometry.net conda recipe)

Is there an error message you're getting?

cheers,
dustin

Julio Campagnolo

Sep 12, 2022, 4:57:52 PM9/12/22
to Dustin Lang, Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
There is no astrometry.net conda package for windows. Only Linux and Mac. See https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/astrometry

I'm the maintainer of the recipe in conda-forge and I think there are missing dependencies in windows that make it impossible to run astrometry.net.

Cheers,
Julio

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 12, 2022, 5:03:26 PM9/12/22
to Julio Campagnolo, Dustin Lang, astrometry
So is there no way to use astrometry.net local in windows?

Thanks

Gaetano

Dustin Lang

Sep 12, 2022, 5:05:20 PM9/12/22
to Gaetano Zarcone, Julio Campagnolo, astrometry
WSL?

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 13, 2022, 1:03:06 AM9/13/22
to Dustin Lang, Julio Campagnolo, astrometry
I'll try

Thanks

Gaetano

CaptAndy Sir

Sep 13, 2022, 9:02:29 AM9/13/22
to astrometry

Bryan

Sep 13, 2022, 8:05:02 PM9/13/22
to astrometry
Install using ANSVR.  I have been running locally in Windows for 5 years.  You can install using Astrotortilla for a GUI in Windows.

Bryan

Bryan

Sep 13, 2022, 8:09:26 PM9/13/22
to astrometry
I should have added that this uses cygwin as the system to 'mimic' Linux in Windows.  https://www.cygwin.com/

Astrotortilla will install cygwin or you can do that your self.

Bryan

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 14, 2022, 4:37:58 AM9/14/22
to Bryan, astrometry
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Does ANSVR work using command line?

Bryan

Sep 14, 2022, 8:03:39 AM9/14/22
to astrometry
You actually use cygwin in command line format.
You don't need to know much about cygwin as it runs fine 'behind the scenes.'
If interested, this is the main page.  https://www.cygwin.com/

Here is the main ANSVR page from Andy Galasso - https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/
Be sure to install index files as described.  I would suggest using the defaults for everything until you understand how this all works, then you can tinker to optimize for yourself.  However, that may not even be necessary..

Run the install as described above which includes cygwin, then open a cygwin command line shell by running cygwin.bat from the Astrometry Net Local Solver folder in the Start Menu.

As far as I know, all the parameters available to the web version of AN are available to ANSVR.  By selecting the right parameters, esp scale-high and scale-low and suitable index files, you can shorten the solve time in a local solver to less than 10 seconds, at least for a reasonable modern PC.

Bryan

Shen Ming

Oct 21, 2022, 12:49:50 AM10/21/22
to astrometry
Most time I use astrometry in linux/wsl.
I've tried to compile astrometry source code in win by cygwin, the 'astrometry-engine' works fine but 'solve-field' failed, the error message is like:

solve-field.c:157:append_executable Error, couldn't find executable "astrometry-engine.exe"

astrometry-engine can still do a lot of works when using it standalone.

Dustin Lang

Oct 21, 2022, 9:07:59 AM10/21/22
to Shen Ming, astrometry
Are you installing it, or running it out of the source directory?  Either way, maybe try adding the directory containing astrometry-engine.exe to your PATH environment variable.  Solve-field is supposed to search in the directory it is found in, but maybe that search is failing for some reason.

Martin Sadler

Oct 25, 2022, 8:05:10 AM10/25/22
to Dustin Lang, Shen Ming, astrometry
I’m not familiar with windows (I’m a Mac/Linux kinda guy) but it might also be a permissions issue?

László Heller

Oct 27, 2022, 3:57:50 PM10/27/22
to astrometry
You have 2 options to build/install astrometry.net on Windows 10 or 11:
1.) WSL -> means Windows Subsystem for Linux, google for it, it's probably the easiest way

2.) Cygwin -> www.cygwin.com, only when you are really experienced, but it works also on older Windows versions