astrometry.net python import error on an M1 mac

Deborah Lokhorst

Sep 1, 2022, 2:09:17 PM9/1/22
to astrometry
Hi Dustin & folks,

I've installed astrometry.net from the github source on my mac with the apple silicon M1 chip (including `make py`) and the astrometry seems to be working just fine (yay!), but I'm running into an import error when I try to use some of the extra python scripts, in particular when importing Tan and Sip from astrometry.util.util.

This is my output in ipython (python version 3.9.7):

In [1]: from astrometry.util.util import Tan, Sip

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

<ipython-input-1-e767ca93a84e> in <module>

----> 1 from astrometry.util.util import Tan, Sip

/usr/local/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/util.py in <module>

     11 # Import the low-level C/C++ module

     12 if __package__ or "." in __name__:

---> 13     from . import _util

     14 else:

     15     import _util

ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/_util.cpython-39-darwin.so, 0x0002): symbol not found in flat namespace (_an_fits_copy_header)

This flat namespace error seems to be a common mac/M1 thing from a quick google.. Do you have any ideas to try?

Thanks a bunch!

Deb

Dustin Lang

Sep 8, 2022, 3:22:27 PM9/8/22
to Deborah Lokhorst, astrometry
Hi Deb,

Sorry for the slow reply -- for some reason this landed in my spam folder.

I haven't seen this before.  Can you try installing using pip?

cheers,
dustin