Numbers of extracted stars are much less than the reality

Jerry Zhang

Jun 19, 2022, 7:34:56 PM6/19/22
to astrometry
Hello,

I am successfully doing solve-field but the result of the extraction shows me only tens of stars (exactly 68 stars in the axy, rdls, xyls fits files, etc..) while in the field you can see thousands:
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.28.14 AM.png

Besides, the code told me there actually are 3664 star extracted, so where are they?Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.28.32 AM.png

This problem does not only appear in this frame but also in other frames.

Appreciated if you can help me!

Jerry Zhang

Jun 20, 2022, 7:05:16 AM6/20/22
to astrometry
Well in the axy files there are 3572 sources with X, Y and flux value. Still not match what was written in the script. I would like them all to appear rdls file, any solutions?

Dustin Lang

Jun 20, 2022, 3:52:47 PM6/20/22
to Jerry Zhang, astrometry
Hi,

The RDLS file are *reference* stars in your image -- from Gaia-DR2 or whatever astrometric reference catalog we used.  The number of stars in that catalog depends on which index file we used to solve your image.

The AXY file are stars *detected* in your image (not necessarily matched to reference stars).

You can possibly get more reference stars if you re-upload the "new-image.fits" file.  (That is a hack because we haven't implemented https://github.com/dstndstn/astrometry.net/issues/237)

cheers,
dustin