On a smartphone ?

Pawel K

Sep 30, 2021, 2:05:20 AM9/30/21
to astrometry
Hi,

I used your tool in past and loved it. Just found out that you can install it locally also from what i understand.

Maybe that's a naive question, but would it be possible to somehow run it on iPhone in future ? I guess it might have a lot of dependencies that wouldn't run on iOS ?

New iPhone CPUs are really powerful and it would be a game changer to be able to plate solve with your "pocket computer".

Thanks!

Dustin Lang

Sep 30, 2021, 8:09:24 AM9/30/21
to Pawel K, astrometry
Hi,

In the past, none of the smartphone camera apps would apply you to adjust the exposure settings in a way that would allow you to measure enough stars to get an astrometric solution.  I think that has changed, at least for some devices.  So then it becomes more interesting to have an app.

The core astrometry.net code is in C, with some Python.  Looking briefly at the app development landscape, I suspect that I would try using Kivy to build the UI, so the whole app would be in Python; it would also be necessary to expand the Swig bindings to expose more of the C code to Python (that wouldn't be too hard).  I can imagine that the whole linking/packaging effort could be significant as well.

cheers,
--dustin

Pawel K

Sep 30, 2021, 11:16:24 AM9/30/21
to astrometry
I didn't have in mind asometry camera type of app, but an app which lets you choose photo from your gallery and plate solve it. I think this should be much easier to do ? I wish I didn't gave up coding =)

Dustin Lang

Sep 30, 2021, 11:17:27 AM9/30/21
to Pawel K, astrometry
Yeah, that's possibly easier, but to my way of thinking, not as interesting :)

kopi...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2021, 11:22:53 AM9/30/21
to Dustin Lang, Pawel K, astrometry
Hi Dustin,

I do know quite a few people who photograph their DSLR displays showing their last exposure with their smartphone, crop the border and upload that image to astrometry.net.
I did this very often myself while I was using just a tracker and not a goto to find my targets. So the usecase is definitely there ;)

Cheers, Bernd

Bryan

Sep 30, 2021, 11:34:42 AM9/30/21
to astrometry
Pawel

A separate comment from your main question.

I RARELY use online astrometry.net any more.  A local install works great and solves in seconds, since there is no competition for online resources.  At this time, this is only on PCs (under cygwin), Macs, unix, or Linux.

See https://astrometry.net/use.html for instructions.

Bryan

Pawel K

Sep 30, 2021, 12:09:09 PM9/30/21
to astrometry
I have failed imaging sessions with my tracker already because I had to wait in a que on Asometry for ages. That would be a game changer to have it on my iPhone. The camera app idea is also cool though! ;)

Eric SIBERT

Sep 30, 2021, 4:36:21 PM9/30/21
to astro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Le 30/09/2021 à 17:22, kopi...@gmail.com a écrit :
> I do know quite a few people who photograph their DSLR displays showing
> their last exposure with their smartphone,

For polar alignment when it is not possible to use the Polar star
(Southern hemisphere, no polar scope), I have a method where I take two
pictures with DSLR with manual RA turn inbetween. Then, I need
astrometric resolution, usually in remote place without internet connexion.

So, I use a Dell venue 8 pro tablet, which is a windows (32bits) running
on a x86 processor. So, I installed ANSVR. Using a USB hub, I transfer
pictures from my DSLR to the tablet and run an homemade software which
is calling ANSVR et do afterward calculations.

That is the lightest method that I found to solve my problem.

Of course, a method with wifi/BT transfer to a smartphone would be
better and lighter...

Eric

Pawel K

Sep 30, 2021, 5:23:04 PM9/30/21
to astrometry
Yeah my camera can send JPG's to my iPhone quickly, Astrometry on the iPhone would be amazing. For now i have to figure how to include my Mac in the workflow so it's not very time consuming.

I just came up with idea with service like Dropbox. I would transfer the file from my camera to iPhone via BT, and it would automatically upload to Dropbox. Then I would have a script on my Mac where if it detected new file in Dropbox folder, it would run Astrometry, and send me the result for example via email or something.

I wonder if it would be possible ?

This way I wouldn't have to be in front of my computer.

Or perhaps self host Astrometry somewhere :D

Bryan

Sep 30, 2021, 6:20:03 PM9/30/21
to astrometry
Solve-field can read a URL location for a file, e.g.

Bryan