Artist search exact

Mallen

Jan 19, 2020, 9:34:26 PM1/19/20
to Artsy API Developers
Hi,

I am developing a small mobile app as a proof of concept using Google’s cross platform framework flutter and I decided to leverage your public api.

I am able to retrieve a valid x-xapp-token but I am struggling on how to execute an exact search for a specific artist by name. I have spent some time with your API Playground but the results I see are not what I was expecting nor when executing queries via my apps http get requests.

I am currently trying:

https://api.artsy.net/api/search?q=Louise%20Jones&exact=true

This returns over 6k results and contain artist names being or including Louise. If you could offer me a little insight on what I am doing wrong that would be very helpful,

Thanks!

Daniel D.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:34:00 PM1/20/20
to Mallen, Artsy API Developers
Hi,

I don't see exact in the doc, so that's not a thing. The search as implemented gives you its best guess, and since Louise Jones is not on Artsy, you get Louise Bourgeois. You could limit the size of the result set to get the top result with size=1.

It's pretty safe to assume in Artsy data that if Louise Jones were on Artsy that https://api.artsy.net/api/artists/louise-jones would exist. Just like https://api.artsy.net/api/artists/louise-bourgeois. These are "slugs", converted with https://github.com/mongoid/mongoid-slug if you want a reference implementation.

Hope this helps. Someone at Artsy should probably make it easier to search for exact matches in the API.

cheers
dB.

--
Find all info about the Artsy.net API at https://developers.artsy.net.

Mallen

Jan 20, 2020, 3:17:54 PM1/20/20
to Artsy API Developers
Daniel,

Thank you for the response it was very helpful. In regards to the exact parameter I took that from one of my API Playground searches as it was used in the full URL so I assumed it was a thing.

Documentation is decent but not entirely clear for someone new to the artsy api, or thats my experience thus far.

Thanks again,

Mick

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Mallen <predat...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Daniel D.

Jan 20, 2020, 3:29:16 PM1/20/20
to Mallen, Artsy API Developers
Someone would have to look at the code for that exact parameter.

Docs are OSS, btw, https://github.com/artsy/doppler if you want to contribute improvements.

Find all info about the Artsy.net API at https://developers.artsy.net.