Thinking about last week's car on bar violence

Dana Bres

Aug 15, 2022, 10:36:54 AM8/15/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com
I was out yesterday and took the cutoff at the Ballston Beaver pond onto Fairfax.  While waiting to cross Fairfax at Glebe (NW corner) to continue east, I observed how fast the autos turning left off Glebe onto WB Fairfax were going as well as the reality that there was no protection for folks waiting at the ordained location.  It wouldn't take much inattention on the part of a driver to have a cyclist or pedestrian play the role of the Irish bar in this situation.

Maybe the BAC should discuss this and ask ArCo for some protection.  While moving the waiting area a little further back (to the west) on Fairfax might work, that would reduce the visibility of those waiting to cross.  I doubt if ArCo would be eager to put something structural there for fear a motorist might run into it and hurt themselves.

Thoughts?

Gillian Burgess

Aug 15, 2022, 11:37:49 AM8/15/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Considering that the BAC has discussed the need for concrete protected bike lanes at exactly the location of the horrific crash for at least 10 years, I just don't know

--
~
Please make sure you intend to send your message to the WHOLE list before you simply hit reply & send. Thanks!

Ride safe, have fun. You are loved.

- For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/CAMiERYCEc7uSi%2Bg5iS%3DcFkXfY-W_LHB%3DBCGvFB%2By5u-8jwD1mQ%40mail.gmail.com.

B. Cody

Aug 15, 2022, 11:45:19 AM8/15/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Often what’s needed is:
“Endless pressure, endlessly applied”
- Brock Evans, famed environmental activist back in the day.

--
Betsy Cody
703-606-6008