BAC and PAC legislative priorities -- please reply by Saturday, September 24

Cynthia Palmer

Sep 19, 2022, 10:36:20 PM9/19/22
to Arlington BAC, Pamela Van Hine, Elizabeth Gallagher

Hi BAC and PAC,

We plan to send a list of our top five state legislative priorities to Ilana Creinin, who is the Legislative Liaison in the County Manager’s Office. This list will represent the combined priorities of the PAC and the BAC.

Please review the items below and let us know if you are on board with submitting these five as our BAC-PAC top priority legislative issues. These are all items we discussed in our joint committee meeting last week. We have other proposals that won’t-yet-fly in the current legislative session but are worth some behind-the-scenes legwork, e.g., allowing local jurisdictions to charge higher registration fees for heavier vehicles, as in DC.

Here are the five issues we think are ready for prime time:

1) Remove contributory negligence law. (In Virginia, Alabama, NC and MD, a bicycle rider or pedestrian who is hit by a motor vehicle is barred from any recovery if s/he contributed to the crash in any way),

2) Include bikes in legislation for Leading Pedestrian Intervals (LPI) so that bicyclists can use these traffic signals legally as Leading Pedestrian-and-Bicyclist Intervals,

3) Allow local control for implementation of automated speed enforcement, red light running, parking violations, and other traffic issues,

4) Create transportation fund for bike-ped safety, safe routes to school, trails, and related safety initiatives,

5) Require side underrun guards on trucks. These side rails between the axles on large trucks prevent pedestrians, bicycle riders, and motor vehicles from being swept under the truck.

Sound OK? Anything essential missing?

See the BAC-PAC meeting recording to hear Ilana and our PAC/BAC legislative discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMimArUgJ3o

Ilana starts at 6 min 55 sec.

Deadline for PAC/BAC responses: Saturday, September 24.

Input and edits welcome!

Thanks all.

Cynthia, Elizabeth and Pam

Leslie Tierstein

Sep 20, 2022, 5:31:33 AM9/20/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great.

On Sep 19, 2022, at 10:36 PM, 'Cynthia Palmer' via Arlington BAC <arling...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
~
Please make sure you intend to send your message to the WHOLE list before you simply hit reply & send. Thanks!

Ride safe, have fun. You are loved.

- For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/204612296.55357.1663641365283%40mail.yahoo.com.

Peter Stokely

Sep 21, 2022, 1:43:10 PM9/21/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Cynthia, these look good to me, does the order 1-5 indicate priority?   I know 1 is important but 2 and 3 may be more immediate on the ground, that is my two cents from the peanut gallery.

Pete

“Bikes add to a love of place. They enhance your capacity to love where you are.”

John Hickenlooper Former Governor of Colorado

Chris Slatt

Sep 21, 2022, 1:46:38 PM9/21/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Van Hine, Elizabeth Gallagher
Works for me.

Chris

Gillian Burgess

Sep 21, 2022, 2:30:55 PM9/21/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Van Hine, Elizabeth Gallagher
List looks good. I would move contrib down -- as much as I'd love that to pass, I think it's the least likely on the list.

Thanks!!
Gillian

Cynthia Palmer

Sep 27, 2022, 9:31:50 AM9/27/22
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Van Hine, Elizabeth Gallagher

Thanks Leslie, Peter, Chris, and Gillian for your input on the letter. Really appreciate the feedback! We’ve moved contributory negligence lower on the list. We’ll send our letter to Ilana (the legislative liaison) in the next day or two.

Happy riding,

c.