"shared" naan ark:99166 for agents?

Donny Winston

Feb 1, 2022, 2:37:45 PM2/1/22
to ARKs
I see in https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-kunze-ark-29.txt a table of "shared" naans.

I get the point of the "not okay for long-term reference" naans like 12345 and 99999. But what is the meaning of the terms (99152) and agents (99166) naans? I was under the impression that a NMA is supposed to serve NAAN namespaces in full. Does this mean it is expected that all NMAs mirror central, canonical ark:99152 and ark:99166 archives?

Best,
Donny

John Kunze

Feb 1, 2022, 2:56:06 PM2/1/22
to ARKs
Hi Donny,

An NMA is traditionally identified with an entire NAAN, but in the past few years, the notion of a NMA's responsibility has been refined so that it may include an individual shoulder under one of the 4 shared NAANs.

That's basically a sub-namespace of the NAAN namespace. For example, the yamz.net NMA is responsible for the 'h' shoulder under the 99152 NAAN, in other words, it only needs to resolve ARKs that begin ark:99152/h....

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ARKs group. To post to this group, send email to arks-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to arks-forum+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/arks-forum?hl=en
---

Donny Winston

Feb 3, 2022, 5:05:09 PM2/3/22
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
I see. Thanks.

So then a request to a resolver such as n2t.net has redirect rules at the shoulder level, e.g. https://n2t.net/ark:99152/{shoulder}{rest} is redirected to nma_for(ark:99152/{shoulder})$rest ?

--
Donny Winston, PhD (he/him/his) | Polyneme LLC

If I've emailed you, I'd love to speak with you.
Schedule a meeting (15min+): https://meet.polyneme.xyz

John Kunze

Feb 3, 2022, 5:36:11 PM2/3/22
to ARKs