Indiana University ArcLight in production

Hardesty, Juliet Louise

Aug 14, 2020, 10:31:29 AM8/14/20
to arclight-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! We are pleased to announce that Indiana University's instance of ArcLight is live and running!

Generously funded by IU's Office of the Bicentennial as part of celebrating 200 years of Indiana University, this is a big step towards providing new system-wide online discovery and access for Indiana University archives and special collections located across all 9 campuses around the state. We are now also fully switched over to using ArchivesSpace to create and manage finding aid collection descriptions, which is another major achievement.

We want to thank the staff at Notch8, particularly Lea Ann Bradford and Daniel Lim, for helping us to participate in the ArcLight community sprint work last fall and for getting things started for us this spring to implement ArcLight at IU.

Randall Floyd, our lead developer at IU for this ArcLight implementation, was instrumental in making our ArcLight production ready and continues working on the to-do list. He especially wants to give a shout-out to Sean Aery and David Chandek-Stark at Duke University for sharing their code and server performance tips. You all helped us solve a lot of production blockers!

We have also received significant help from 3 IU graduate students: Zhengyi Li, Mason Ballengee, and Justina Kaiser. Justina has graduated from the Department of Information and Library Science (ILS) and is now working at Miami University of Ohio, Mason has graduated from ILS and is still working with us (and applying for full-time jobs!), and Zhengyi is still at IU working towards his PhD in Intelligent Systems Engineering. They provided much of the legwork to migrate our EAD finding aids into ArchivesSpace and have helped to test, debug, and fix ArcLight display issues.

Bri McLaughlin, the Visiting Metadata Services Librarian in Digital Collections Services funded by the IU Office of the Bicentennial, has been integral in transitioning our finding aid creation and management work into ArchivesSpace, and Adam Crandell in Library Technologies has supported the implementation and upkeep of our ArchivesSpace instance.

This has been a wide-ranging effort, and it is not over. We are still working on migrating our digital objects to Hyrax so they can be discovered and viewed using the Universal Viewer in ArcLight, and we will continue to work on improvements to the display of our finding aid descriptions, our campus and unit branding, and our ability to create digital exhibits from our finding aid collections using Spotlight. We are very pleased with ArcLight as a discovery and access tool and look forward to using it in support of archival and special collections research moving forward!

Thanks,
Julie

Juliet L. Hardesty
Metadata Analyst/Librarian
Digital Collections Services
Library Technologies
Indiana University
she / her / hers

Tom Cramer

Aug 14, 2020, 1:03:11 PM8/14/20
to Hardesty, Juliet Louise, Tom Cramer, arclight-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! It looks great—clean, polished and functional.

Are there any finding aids that have digital objects linked / embedded?

- Tom

Hardesty, Juliet Louise

Aug 14, 2020, 2:04:14 PM8/14/20
to Tom Cramer, arclight-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom - We don’t have digital objects embedded yet, that is our next big step once our new Hyrax service for digital collections is in place this fall. There are some cases where alternative formats in other services of ours are linked now (Media Collections Online which uses Avalon for audio and video, for example). An example of this kind of offering is the collection Soul and Funk: The Naptown Sound from the Archives of African American Music and Culture. I think many of the interviews in this collection are linked to audio and/or video in MCO.

In EAD terms, we have things happening with our EXTREF but not our DAO yet.
Thanks!
Julie