DIP structure

nmvie...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2021, 1:36:35 PM12/13/21
to archivematica
Hi,

Just wondering, is there a reason why subdirectories that are in the original objects folder in the SIP and in the AIP are not in the DIP? Is there anyway to maintain those subdirectories in the DIP? And if not, is there a specific reason why you can't have subfolders in a DIP's objects directory?

Thanks!

Sarah Romkey

Dec 14, 2021, 1:46:36 PM12/14/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The reason why the DIP is different from the AIP and has a "flat" structure is it was designed for DIP deposit into Archivematica's sibling system, AtoM. AtoM wasn't (and isn't) set up to accept material in directories. We have had some users have a need for their DIP to maintain the filenames and directory structure of the SIP/AIP, and for that there is an automation tool script that you can use outside of Archivematica- see: https://github.com/artefactual/automation-tools#dip-creation-and-upload

I hope that helps,

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Archivematica Program Manager
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

nmvie...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2022, 3:26:23 PM1/18/22
to archivematica
Hi again,

We've had a chance to look into the script, and I just wanted to verify whether that was the only work-around. It does resolve the flat-structure, but the DIP produced by the script doesn't allow for different types of normalization (if you have manually normalized files in your SIP, for example), and the submissionDocumentation ends up in the DIP, so the DIPs produced through the script take up more space than they would if they were produced in Archivematica.

Sarah Romkey

Jan 20, 2022, 2:06:30 PM1/20/22
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

This is the only workaround that I'm aware of but it is meant just to be an implementation example- if you or someone at your organization has the know-how, your own version of the script could be written to account for your specific needs.