Machine readable data with or without API access

Ethan Gruber

Mar 31, 2021, 4:19:12 PM3/31/21
to Arches Project
Hi all,

I am investigating the capabilities of Arches as framework for national-level archaeological site and feature publication so that sites and their hierarchies, down to archaeological stratigraphic layers, have URIs that can be reused in disparate collections or research databases.

I have read through the API documentation and looked at some example projects in the demo. Using the Valley of the Queens (http://v5demo.archesproject.org/en/report/fc522554-6477-4812-9c74-76997184a3da) as a test, I want to get machine-readable data about this site, but it's not quite clear how to go about it.

Do I need a token to use the API for the Arches demo site?
Can a third party get machine readable data without authentication at all?

The ?format=json-ld and content negotiation don't see to work on the above URI.

Thanks,
Ethan

Robert Sanderson

Mar 31, 2021, 4:48:29 PM3/31/21
to Ethan Gruber, Arches Project

Hi Ethan,

There's a different URL for the machine readable version -- replace 'report' with 'resources'

However (I guess due to the map layer) it doesn't work for that particular resource.

You can see it for people and organizations though, for example:

is backed by the data:

Hope that helps,

Rob

Rob Sanderson
Director for Cultural Heritage Metadata
Yale University

Ethan Gruber

Mar 31, 2021, 4:55:32 PM3/31/21
to Robert Sanderson, Arches Project
Is the 500 error on the 'resources' link for the archaeological site a configuration issue with the demo site, or is this a bug in Arches? I definitely can't use the platform if I can't get the machine readable data back from it.

Ethan

Robert Sanderson

Mar 31, 2021, 5:03:51 PM3/31/21
to Ethan Gruber, Arches Project

I'm not sure how the demo site is set up so I can't speak to this particular instance, but I'm happy to run you through one of my instances with modeling done from a semantics perspective, where the data comes out cleanly :)

Lily Pregill

Apr 1, 2021, 12:56:47 PM4/1/21
to Arches Project
Hi Ethan,

You can see the json-ld view that Rob describes using "resources" in our instance:

In updating to 5.1.1, we recently ran into an issue displaying this view for some resource types and we're actively working with Farallon to try to get a fix in place.

Happy to talk more if you'd like to know how we're consuming this data for https://12sunsets.getty.edu/ and https://www.getty.edu/research/collections/.

Best,
Lily

Apr 2, 2021, 10:22:29 PM4/2/21
to Arches Project
Hi Ethan,

The demo site was not configured or optimized for the export of machine readable data. Its purpose is purely for demonstration of the search, discovery and data entry interface features. In the future, upgrades to the demo site may include the ability to view and access machine readable data via API, as this is absolutely a feature of Arches we would love to highlight.

In general, the extent to which an Arches instance is able to export machine-readable data out and how it does so is entirely dependent on how the implementers of that Arches instance configure their system and model their data. For example, the Arches instances that Rob and Lily manage are configured and optimized for use cases that require the kind of output you are looking to create. However, not all Arches instances have use cases that require this.

I hope this information helps. And definitely, thanks to Rob and Lily for offering their examples.

Thanks,
Annabel
Getty Conservation Institute / Arches Project team