Arches 5 Documentation Sprint: Call for Suggestions and Feedback

Adam Cox

Jun 4, 2020, 12:45:59 PM6/4/20
to Arches Project
Hello everyone,

Angela Labrador and I are planning to coordinate a community-oriented documentation writing sprint to bring the current Arches documentation up-to-date with the most recent release, v5.0 as best as we can. Hopefully we can also address some aspects of the documentation that needed attention prior to the update.

We'd like to begin by soliciting feedback from all forum members on the following:
  • Which aspects of the documentation have you found confusing or misleading?
  • Are there topics that you would like to see added to the official documentation?
Please respond with your thoughts in this thread or email us directly. Feel free to second other people's posts if someone has already mentioned the same thing you were thinking--more input is better than less at this stage.

We'll begin comparing your ideas with known documentation "to-dos" as recorded in the arches-docs issue tracking. Then we can put out a call for help, especially to those most knowledgeable in these specific topics, and start organizing a "sprint" of a few days where we can make some real progress on the content itself.

We won't get everything perfect, but hopefully a concerted and coordinated effort can make some big improvements.

Adam

Neil Silberman

Jun 4, 2020, 2:30:33 PM6/4/20
to Arches Project
Excellent way to prioritize the documentation rewrite/expansion. I'm ready to start writing too.

Neil

Mahmoud Abdelrazek

Jun 4, 2020, 11:45:39 PM6/4/20
to Arches Project
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for stating this. I would like to participate in this great effort.
One page of documentation which I would like to start working on is an update to arches installation on ubuntu server. I have seen similar pages in previous versions of arches like this but I believe that a similar one for version 5 doesn't exist yet. I would like to try to make this installation process as approachable as possible. The aim is to enable the user to install arches on a ubuntu server virtual machine which replicates what I assume most of the active implementations of arches currently online. I am sure that this will require me to ask many questions and learn new concepts, and I would rely on the knowledge and generosity of our community to guide my steps. I hope this will be a useful addition to the documentation.

Best,
Mahmoud

Martha S

Jun 5, 2020, 12:05:19 AM6/5/20
to Arches Project
Thank you, Intrepid Documenters,

This is much-appreciated. I would like to see SSL added to the documentation. I know this will be a requirement for us and I'd like to have as straightforward a shot at success as I can get.

Martha

Andrew Jones

Jun 5, 2020, 8:31:39 AM6/5/20
to Arches Project
Adam, I'm sure that we will be able to help out too. We are in the process of migrating to v5 and are using a Windows house so can keep an eye out for Windows gotchas!

Andy

Chris Dolby

Jun 5, 2020, 10:01:40 AM6/5/20
to Arches Project
Hi folks,

Sounds great. I'll speak to some of our other colleagues and perhaps we'll have some input from non-development perspectives, too.

Best wishes,
Chris Dolby
Project Manager
Historic England