Zoom limit per group

Mahmoud Abdelrazek

Mar 24, 2020, 7:24:10 PM3/24/20
to Arches Project
Hello Everyone,

My name is Mahmoud Abdelrazek. I am from Egypt and I am happy to be introduced to such an active and helpful community.

I am working on a project to introduce a few custom features to an Arches implementation. The first of which is imposing zoom in/out limit on each group of users.

My questions are: Did anyone try this before? Do you have recommendations on how this might work?

The approach I am working on now is to edit the context processors file so that it would pass different zoom in/out limits based on the group and add a group limit model on top of the group model to allow the admin to set the limits per group.

What do you think of this?

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you,
Mahmoud

Adam Cox

Mar 25, 2020, 12:01:19 PM3/25/20
to Arches Project
Hi Mahmoud, recently (since we last spoke) I began experimenting with using a context processor for a permissions-related aspect of my app. I noticed, however, that when loading the map search page, the context processor functions are each called 15 times! This is something to be aware of as you develop--it would be wise to keep those functions very lightweight.

Good luck,
Adam

Mahmoud Abdelrazek

Mar 25, 2020, 2:22:50 PM3/25/20
to Arches Project
Hi Adam,

Thank you for your help with this. Yes! I have noticed the same thing and I am trying to keep it to a minimum. I am not sure if I should try to reduce the number of calls the app is making by default. As for now, the code is only calling one object to replace the system settings. I have tested the code and it doesn't seem to impact the loading time at all. However, I am facing a strange issue with the zoom. I think I should post this separately. In my installations (I have a few now) the zoom limitations imposed by the app itself is not working. I am not sure if this is a certain setting that I didn't set correctly or if it is something related to the app itself.

Thank you again,
Mahmoud