Arches Developer Conference

Dennis Wuthrich

Feb 12, 2020, 4:52:28 PM2/12/20
to Arches Development
Hello Arches Developers

We've heard from many of you, and it seems that there is interest in meeting in San Francisco for technical discussions about Arches.

What we've heard from the community so far:

TIMING AND LOCATION:
> Meeting to be held August, 2020.  We propose August 10th to 12th.
> Location: San Francisco.  Farallon will identify meeting space(s) once we understand how many people will be attending

CONFERENCE AGENDA:
> We're very open to suggestions on topics and conference structure.  In particular, we want to
hear what you'd like to talk about, how technically detailed you'd like the conversations to be, and whether you would like to lead a
discussion/session.

> We're open to an un-conference format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference) in which the conference begins by all attendees collaboratively defining the conference
topics, level of technical detail, and timing of sessions.  Please let us know if you would like this type of conference format.

> Possible sessions: Case Studies, Discussion of Arches Road Map, Hands-on Coding sessions (e.g.: Customizing Cards, Indexing Elastic,
Adding new Data Types, etc), Deployment and Performance Optimization, Data import/export issues, Developing Plug-ins, Implementing Workflows,
Custom Search Filters, Discussion of new capabilities.

COSTS:
> We'd like to keep the conference as inexpensive as possible, ideally free.  But if we need to rent space at a hotel (or other venue) we'll very likely
need to cover that cost with a per-person fee.

> You'll be responsible for travel, hotel and meal costs.  However, Farallon may be able to host a beer hour or similar social activity.

WHAT WE'RE ASKING YOU TO DO:
1. Please let us know by February 28th if you plan on attending.
2. Propose topics/sessions for the Conference.
3. Let us know what topics interest you.

Melanie Rosenberg

Feb 14, 2020, 2:41:37 AM2/14/20
to Arches Development
Is it possible to have a remote Q & A webinar at an earlier date (instead of or in addition to the proposed conference)? I ask because it is hard for some to lock in attendance to something 6 months in advance and I think it would be of interest to have some topics discussed at an earlier date.

Hosting a webinar is much more accessible and affordable and we can still collaboratively define topics, level of detail and timing if desired.

Survey Wessex

Feb 25, 2020, 6:29:49 AM2/25/20
to Arches Development
Hi Dennis,

I can only second Melanie. I am interested as well. However flying in from Europe is expensive and time consuming.

Jens

Dennis Wuthrich

Feb 25, 2020, 6:50:59 PM2/25/20
to Arches Development
Hi Melanie,

Yes, I'm sure it's possible to have a Q&A webinar in advance of the conference.

There are some logistics to contend with:
> Picking a date and time that works for people calling in from 8 or 10 different time zones is challenging
> There's lots to talk about and webinars are 60-90 minutes long for a reason.  Perhaps some one should consider floating possible questions to identify the most interesting ones in advance of the webinar
> Should there be a moderator for the webinar?  If so who?

I can say that the Farallon team is busy organizing the conference, but if you (or some one else in the community) would like to take on the logistics of organizing a webinar I'm sure that many of the Arches core development team would participate.

Cheers,

Dennis

Cyrus Hiatt

Feb 26, 2020, 6:27:45 PM2/26/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone -

We have gotten responses from several people letting us know that they intend to join the Arches Developer Conference, August 10 - 12. We would like to move forward with the planning process, so if you plan to attend or would like to, but are still unsure if you can make it, please let us know.

Thanks,

Cyrus

Cyrus Hiatt
Geospatial Web Developer
Farallon Geographics
601 Montgomery St, Suite 1095
San Francisco, CA 94111
Office: 415.227.1140
Cell: 831.295.2439

Adam Cox

Mar 11, 2020, 12:38:13 PM3/11/20
to Arches Development
Hey Cyrus, I did say this a while ago on Slack, but for the record here, I do plan to attend (and really looking forward to it!).

Adam
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to arche...@googlegroups.com.

Cyrus Hiatt

Mar 11, 2020, 4:08:47 PM3/11/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Adam -

That's great. I had you down for attending, but thanks for confirming. We're glad you can make it.

- Cyrus

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arches-dev/cdbd666e-a933-4e55-b10b-d0f8a0b79536%40googlegroups.com.

Melanie Rosenberg

Apr 7, 2020, 12:21:32 PM4/7/20
to Arches Development
I, or someone from my team, will likely attend.

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 1:08:47 PM UTC-7, Cyrus Hiatt wrote:
Thanks Adam -

That's great. I had you down for attending, but thanks for confirming. We're glad you can make it.

- Cyrus

Cyrus Hiatt

Apr 13, 2020, 2:26:19 PM4/13/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Melanie -

That's great. We're glad you'll be able to join us.

Cheers,

Cyrus

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arches-dev/1ea4e9b8-e848-4200-8795-ff294e021940%40googlegroups.com.

Cyrus Hiatt

Jun 17, 2020, 4:21:50 PM6/17/20
to Arches Development
Dear Arches Developer Community

Though it probably comes as no surprise, we regret to announce that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will have to postpone the Arches Developer Meeting in San Francisco this year. Once it is again safe to travel, we will try to reschedule an on-site meeting. Until then, we would still like to take the opportunity to get to know you all a little better and learn about your needs, challenges, and, successes in developing with Arches. If there is interest, we would like to have an online meeting on August 10th. The purpose of the meeting would simply be to learn about what you are working on and find out more about what you hope to see in future for Arches both technically as well as in terms of building the developer community. If you are interested in participating please let us know.

Thanks,

Cyrus

Melanie Rosenberg

Jun 17, 2020, 4:32:31 PM6/17/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in attending.

Thank you,
Melanie

Martha Selig

Jun 18, 2020, 12:02:43 AM6/18/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
I am interested, Cyrus.
Martha

Angela Labrador

Jun 18, 2020, 7:14:41 PM6/18/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in attending as well.
Thanks!
Angela

christop...@historicengland.org.uk

Jun 19, 2020, 6:23:27 AM6/19/20
to Arches Development
Some of us at HE in our development team are also interested in coming along, too. We are aware that timezones may make things tricky, but we'll find a way.

Chris Dolby
Project Manager
Historic England

Adam Cox

Jul 17, 2020, 4:06:44 PM7/17/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
I'm also interested in this... just realized I never actually responded to this thread :)

christop...@historicengland.org.uk

Jul 30, 2020, 8:45:12 AM7/30/20
to Arches Development
Hi Cyrus,

Is this meeting still planned for August 10?

Best wishes,
Chris

Cyrus Hiatt

Aug 2, 2020, 1:28:14 PM8/2/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not providing an update sooner, but the meeting is still planned for August 10th.

Here's a draft of the agenda:
    1. Starts: 8:00AM PDT
2. Welcome and short Farallon introduction
3. Review of the intent and agenda of the meeting
4. Description of the current state and direction of the project
5. Developer Introductions
- A few words about you and your organization
- How are you using Arches and what kind of development are you doing
- What are your biggest challenges and concerns
- What do you hope to see from Arches in the future
6. Group discussion of communication tools - forum, Slack, Discourse?
- Is there interest in moving from Google Groups to Discourse
7. Review of the code contribution process
- What is the process for submitting a pull request
- Coordinating with the core dev team on major contributions
- Sharing project and package code
8. Planning future meetings
- Is there interest?
- Frequency of meetings online and/or on-site
9. Meeting Ends: 10:00 AM
Please let me know if there's something you feel needs to be added to the agenda. I hope everyone can make the proposed time. I will send a Zoom link out for the meeting soon.
Thanks,
Cyrus

christop...@historicengland.org.uk

Aug 4, 2020, 4:59:19 AM8/4/20
to Arches Development
Great news - thanks, Cyrus.

Chris Dolby
Project Manager
Historic England

Cyrus Hiatt

Aug 6, 2020, 1:18:42 PM8/6/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Here is it the Zoom invite for Monday's developer meeting:

Topic: Arches Developer Meeting
Time: Aug 10, 2020 08:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Meeting ID: 997 8154 6897
Passcode: 579113
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,99781546897# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,99781546897# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 997 8154 6897
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adqvvqgwiZ

I'm looking forward to talking to you those of you that can make it.

Thanks,

Cyrus

Sara Delgadillo Cruz

Aug 6, 2020, 7:21:55 PM8/6/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cyrus,
Will the meeting be recorded and accessible at a later date/time for those unable to attend on the 10th?

Thanks,
Sara

Sara Delgadillo Cruz

Preservation Planner

Los Angeles City Planning

Office of Historic Resources

221 N. Figueroa St., Suite 1350

Los Angeles, CA 90012

T: (213) 847-3650

For information on SurveyLA and HistoricPlacesLA visit Planning4LA.org.

Cyrus Hiatt

Aug 7, 2020, 5:09:52 PM8/7/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sara,

We understand if you can't make it, so we'll be sure to record the meeting. However, the purpose of the meeting is to build participation and relationships within the developer community, so if plans change, please join. In either case, we intend to plan future meetings, so I hope you'll be able to make the next one.

Thanks,

Cyrus

Cyrus Hiatt

Aug 7, 2020, 9:39:42 PM8/7/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share an updated version of the agenda. I've added estimates for how much time we have for each topic.
Meeting Agenda, Aug 10th
------------------------

1. Starts: 8:00AM PDT
    2. Welcome and short Farallon introduction : 5 min
3. Review of the intent and agenda of the meeting : 5 min
4. Description of the current state and direction of the project: 10 min
5. Developer Introductions : 45 min

- A few words about you and your organization
- How are you using Arches and what kind of development are you doing
- What are your biggest challenges and concerns
- What do you hope to see from Arches in the future
    6. Group discussion of communication tools - forum, Slack, Discourse? : 15 min

- Is there interest in moving from Google Groups to Discourse
    7. Review of the code contribution process : 20 min

- What is the process for submitting a pull request
- Coordinating with the core dev team on major contributions
- Sharing project and package code
    8. Planning future meetings : 20 min

- Is there interest?
- Frequency of meetings online and/or on-site
9. Meeting Ends: 10:00 AM
As you can see we have only 45 minutes for introductions, so we'll probably have to limit how long each person can speak. If there's a much larger number than expected on the call, we may need to prioritize those of you that have RSVP'd, but hopefully that won't be necessary.
Thanks again,
Cyrus

christop...@historicengland.org.uk

Aug 11, 2020, 11:59:57 AM8/11/20
to Arches Development
Great to see many of you yesterday, and some familiar faces! The more the merrier, both with further editions of this, and trying to find ways of getting others involved; perhaps we need to arrange multiple opportunities to cater for those who aren't in European/Americas timezones?

Best wishes,
Chris

Phil Weir

Aug 11, 2020, 3:55:31 PM8/11/20
to arche...@googlegroups.com
Lovely to meet you all, thanks for the welcome and great to hear the range of perspectives in the community!
Best wishes from Belfast,
Phil & Sarah