Equipment availability

spike42

Jun 23, 2022, 8:08:56 PM6/23/22
to Arch Reactor
Hello all, I'm interested in becoming a member but I'm trying to determine more information about the types of equipment available. Specifically, I'd like to know if you have a machine capable of cutting, milling, routing, or otherwise producing a large hole in a thin sheet of steel. An apparatus to cleanly fold the metal at 90 degrees would be useful as well. I apologize, I'm a bit new to this and don't know the proper names for all of the things I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Frank Kallal

Jun 23, 2022, 8:22:20 PM6/23/22
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris,

Probably the easiest way to see what we have is to come in and take a tour.  We always have someone at the space on Sunday and Tuesday nights from 7-9pm. Also if there is an event going on there will generally be someone that can walk you around as well.  such as
Tomorrow 06/24 (Friday night) there is a 3d Printer meetup.  7-9pm
Saturday 06/25 I'll be running a board game day, and will be there from Noon to Midnight,
other events are listed on the Calendar here : https://archreactor.org/calendar

I'm not really a back-o-the house (WoodShop / Metalshop) person, but from my little knowledge I believe we have the tools that can probably help you.  One of the others can probably chime in with more insights.

You can also try our Discord server here.
https://discord.gg/Wg723hDWJK

Frank
AR PR Guy

Morgan Miransky

Jun 24, 2022, 2:13:23 PM6/24/22
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Just to answer your question, we have a mill that will cut the hole you are looking for. We have a small sheet metal brake (I think it is 24") that can fold metal 90 degrees. Yes, we have that.

Jim S

Jun 28, 2022, 1:43:32 PM6/28/22
to Arch Reactor
Chris,

It would help to know a little more about what you are trying to do.  What size hole?  How thick of metal?  Sounds a bit like some holes in a bent up cabinet.  The mill could do it but with thin sheet metal you would need to clamp it between some thicker/stiffer material to hold the material in position.  That could be difficult if the shape is a box.  You could cut the holes before bending.  They also make "knockout" punches where you drill a hole for a bolt and then the two halves of the punch are placed on each side of the metal and drawn together with a bolt punching the hole.  Don't know that the space has them though.

As others have noted, it might be best to just drop in when the space is open.  Some of the events are more in line with what you are planning so your chance of connecting with someone more up on those machines is greater.