we're back

Petr Stehlik

Feb 20, 2017, 6:51:27 PM2/20/17
to ARAnyM
Hi all,

I have just finished adding all 119 users manually to this new ARAnyM
mailing list. Sorry for the old one that died unexpectedly and the
maintainer was too busy to even notice that. I have good long-time
experience with Google Groups in another project (TVPC.cz) so I thought
I'd set up new ARAnyM mailing list there as well. Good thing is that
the web interface is quite usable so setting up mail client is not so
necessary:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/aranym

I am still not happy with Sourceforge.net even though it's got a new
owner that promised to behave better than the old one (who was misusing
the hosted files to spread adware). SF.net is hosting the aranym.org
web page but I cannot recall how to get to the actual files to update
them. It's been always a PITA, using either SFTP or SCP to some cryptic
server with a weird username that I cannot remember. Following their
documentation does not help as they kept changing the process every few
years and currently the documentation seems to be out of sync with
reality.

So my next step would be to move the whole project over to GitHub.com,
if you don't mind. Moving the repository itself should be relatively
easy as we've been using git already. What I am really looking forward
is to using github for hosting the web pages themselves. It should be
easy to keep them in a repository so updating the web would be a matter
of committing changed html (or markdown?) files and more people could
do that. So there's hope for a better web. https://pages.github.com/

We would naturally move from Sourceforge issues to GitHub issues for
bug reporting etc. That should again bring more support from developers
as almost nobody cared about the Sourceforge.net ones. The github
issues workflow is easy and clear, I think.

I believe most of ARAnyM developers are using GitHub already and are
familiar with their features so moving ARAnyM to GitHub should help us
make the development more comfortable. That in turn could hopefully
improve the speed of changes and their quality.

Let me know your opinion. I have created the aranym organization on
github.com already. Will let you know once I get ready to move the
actual source code repository there.

Thanks,

Petr

Vincent Rivière

Feb 21, 2017, 2:44:59 AM2/21/17
to ara...@googlegroups.com
On 21/02/2017 at 00:51, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> I have just finished adding all 119 users manually to this new ARAnyM
> mailing list.

Good, thanks.

> SF.net is hosting the aranym.org web page but I cannot recall how to get
> to the actual files to update them.

As it looks similar to EmuTOS, the following should do the trick:

sftp joy,ara...@frs.sourceforge.net:/home/project-web/aranym/htdocs

> Let me know your opinion.

I think that using GitHub to host sources is a very good option nowadays.

--
Vincent Rivière

STanda

Feb 21, 2017, 9:15:26 AM2/21/17
to ARAnyM
Hey!

Thumbs up for the github.com move! SourceForce really sucks nowadays.

I guess moving the web first is the right direction as it could then be easily
updated to reflect the repo move to github (URLs and everything else necessary).
There is no problem with .html files directly.

Best Regards
Standa

philippe.noble

Feb 22, 2017, 8:21:57 PM2/22/17
to ARAnyM
Congratulation for this move. I am happy to see you back. Alive and kicking.

Cheers,

Philippe

Miro Kropáček

Feb 23, 2017, 1:28:58 AM2/23/17
to ARAnyM

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 09:51:27 UTC+10, Petr Stehlík wrote:

I have just finished adding all 119 users manually to this new ARAnyM
mailing list.

It's really strange I wasn't added then. Are you sure you didn't add only the first page with email addresses, forgetting the other ones? :D

Petr Stehlik

Feb 23, 2017, 2:37:57 AM2/23/17
to ara...@googlegroups.com
Miro Kropáček píše v St 22. 02. 2017 v 22:28 -0800:
> I have just finished adding all 119 users manually to this new
> > ARAnyM
> > mailing list.
> It's really strange I wasn't added then. Are you sure you didn't add
> only the first page with email addresses, forgetting the other ones?

I am pretty sure I have added all previous users, it was a two days
hard manual job full of CAPTCHA patterns ("tell us on which of these 8
photos are stores" etc).

Only two users weren't added because Google said those users didn't
want to be added to mailing lists. It must have been you and Andreas
Schwab.

Petr

Miro Kropáček

Feb 23, 2017, 2:50:56 AM2/23/17
to Petr Stehlik, ara...@googlegroups.com
Only two users weren't added because Google said those users didn't
want to be added to mailing lists. It must have been you and Andreas
Schwab.

Interesting. I'm not aware of setting anything like this anywhere but I can't rule this out completely of course. Anyway, glad to see the ML back!