aprsc 2.1.8: More memory savings

Heikki Hannikainen

Sep 7, 2020, 5:11:09 PM9/7/20
to ap...@googlegroups.com

aprsc 2.1.8 is now available.

Upgrading on Debian / Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo systemctl disable aprsc
sudo systemctl enable aprsc
sudo reboot (to test that it works, if upgrading from pre-2.1.7)

The package now has systemd service files, so please read below.

Upgrading on CentOS:

sudo yum upgrade
sudo /etc/init.d/aprsc liveupgrade

Mac OS X & FreeBSD:

http://he.fi/aprsc/down/

Always check your log file for ERRORs (i.e. lines containing ERROR instead of
INFO or DEBUG) after upgrade: grep ERROR /opt/aprsc/logs/aprsc.log

Changes:
------------

* Reduce memory use significantly. The "last position of all stations"
cache was unnecessarily holding a copy of the last packet from each
station, eating 248 bytes per station (or more, if it was a long packet).
It wasn't used for anything, so I removed the packet data from the
structure, and it now uses 56 bytes per station. From about 13 megabytes
to about 3 megabytes on a normal day.

2.1.7 chroot changes
-----------------------

If upgrading from a pre-2.1.7 version, please read the following
carefully.

* The debian/ubuntu packages now ship with systemd service files for
aprsc.service and aprsc-chroot.service.

aprsc-chroot.service runs once before aprsc.service and sets up the necessary
bind mounts within the chroot environment. This used to be done by the init
script before starting aprsc. aprsc-chroot.service is a dependency of
aprsc.service so you don't need to enable it separately.

After the upgrade, please run the following commands:

sudo systemctl disable aprsc (disables aprsc startup)
sudo systemctl enable aprsc (enables aprsc startup)
sudo reboot (to verify that it actually starts up at boot)

The new command to reload changed configuration without a restart is:

sudo systemctl reload aprsc

- Hessu

Erik, N7FYO

Sep 16, 2020, 8:03:21 AM9/16/20
to aprsc
Thanks! Successful compilation and installation (via creating a .deb package) on Debian Buster.

In the process of working on this I noticed some small inconsistencies in the documentation (the RunDir configuration line being one).  Are you amenable to receiving suggestions on fixes for this (via Github)?

Thanks,

Erik
N7FYO.

fhas...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2020, 5:41:20 AM10/3/20
to aprsc
Hi there,
I have the following issue.
If i run systemctl status aprsc, BELOW is the output. Especially the following output i have never seen before....

okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20817]: /bin/cp: cannot stat ‘/etc/gai.conf’: No such file or directory

If i do a liveupgrade, the same error is shown.

And http://5.2.72.156i:14580 does not give me the aprsc page anymore

Any suggestion how to cure this ?

Erik,PA0ESH

====

# systemctl status aprsc
● aprsc.service - LSB: start and stop aprsc
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/aprsc; bad; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since za 2020-10-03 11:30:52 CEST; 1min 18s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 20859 ExecReload=/etc/rc.d/init.d/aprsc reload (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 20817 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/aprsc start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 20828 (aprsc)
CGroup: /system.slice/aprsc.service
└─20828 /opt/aprsc/sbin/aprsc -u aprsc -t /opt/aprsc -f -e info -o file -r logs -c etc/aprsc.conf

okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start and stop aprsc...
okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20817]: Preparing chroot for aprsc...
okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20817]: /bin/cp: cannot stat ‘/etc/gai.conf’: No such file or directory
okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20817]: Starting aprsc: [ OK ]
okt 03 11:30:52 friendlygolf.nl systemd[1]: Started LSB: start and stop aprsc.
okt 03 11:32:06 friendlygolf.nl systemd[1]: Reloading LSB: start and stop aprsc.
okt 03 11:32:06 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20859]: Testing aprsc configuration...
okt 03 11:32:07 friendlygolf.nl aprsc[20859]: Reloading aprsc: [ OK ]
okt 03 11:32:07 friendlygolf.nl systemd[1]: Reloaded LSB: start and stop aprsc.
friendlygolf:/opt/aprsc/etc

Erik Schott

Oct 3, 2020, 5:46:08 AM10/3/20
to aprsc
And http://5.2.72.156i:14501 does not give me the aprsc page anymore

Heikki Hannikainen

Oct 3, 2020, 3:09:35 PM10/3/20
to aprsc

Erik,

Please provide some more information, such as which operating system
distribution and version are you running on? It'd be surprising if
/etc/gai.conf is missing, is it really?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsc/b5baeb85-eeb9-4b9b-adc4-56b31189089cn%40googlegroups.com.

- Hessu

Heikki Hannikainen

Oct 3, 2020, 3:10:55 PM10/3/20
to aprsc

Hi Erik

Absolutely, github PRs are welcome!

https://github.com/hessu/aprsc/blob/master/doc/CONTRIBUTING.md
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsc/6214b6f4-3a3f-4f64-8e6c-5d47fbbe7675n%40googlegroups.com.

- Hessu

Erik Schott

Oct 3, 2020, 3:29:03 PM10/3/20
to ap...@googlegroups.com
Heikki
Centos 7. I found gai.conf in gai docu maps. Unzipped and copied it to /etc and all is running again. But it wasn’t the reason. For whatever reason also my aprsc.conf was wrong. That showed up as per status aprsc After I put a backup in place all is running again.
Sorry for the trouble. Should have looked first.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn telefoon
Greetings.
Erik