Upgrade from appscale 3.5 to 3.6

Prashant Hegde

Jun 22, 2020, 5:23:45 AM6/22/20
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team

One of our customer system is running appscale 3.5, and we would like to move them to 3.6

Can you please let us know the steps we need to take for upgrading ? Is there any documentation on this.

Thanks in advance.
Prashant

Chris Donati

Jun 25, 2020, 8:46:11 PM6/25/20
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hey Prashant,

I haven't been active on this project for the last 6 months or so, so I wouldn't take this as anything official. There is some info in the wiki here (https://github.com/AppScale/gts/wiki/FAQs#is-it-possible-to-update-appscale) that suggests using the `appscale upgrade` command.

That said, I've seen `appscale upgrade` fail in the past. So here's a more manual method. I would suggest trying it out on a test cluster to be safe.
  1. Run `appscale down` from the tools.
  2. (optional, but recommended) Ensure that no appscale-related processes are running on any of the cluster machines. I used to use `ps ax | grep appscale` to verify this.
  3. On all of the cluster machines, run the bootstrap script to upgrade the installed version of appscale. This should be something like `/root/bootstrap.sh --repo https://github.com/appscale/gts --tag 3.6.1` *
  4. Upgrade your version of `appscale-tools` on the client so that it matches the new appscale version.
  5. Run `appscale up` from the tools.
* The bootstrap script is a wrapper around a few build scripts. If it fails for you, you can fall back to a more manual method to install the packages:
  1. Update the repos to the version you want to upgrade to (from /root/appscale and /root/appscale-tools, you can run `git fetch origin 3.6.1 && git checkout 3.6.1). You may need to update what `origin` is pointing to. It looks like they've changed the appscale repo location from github.com/appscale/appscale to github.com/appscale/gts. The appscale-tools repo origin has remained the same.
  2. From /root/appscale, run `bash debian/appscale_build.sh`
  3. From /root/appscale-tools, run `bash debian/appscale_build.sh`
Hope it works out for you! Sorry about the potentially messy upgrade process. In most cases I've seen, the bootstrap script method works as expected. I just wanted to give you some extra info in case you run into any problems.

Prashant Hegde

Jun 25, 2020, 11:41:01 PM6/25/20
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email. Will try it out and let you know.

All the best to your future endeavors ! It's a big loss for us :-)

Regards
Prashant