Background Layer Control Possible?

ronko001

Aug 22, 2021, 4:54:27 PM8/22/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Because contrast is so limited when the background of terrain has to be illuminated,  I was wondering if the data base of the downloaded maps have the background, terrain, if it is a specific layer, can be toggled to black, no illumination,  so contrast is improved to just see traffic,  airports, land obstructions.

Not sure if this is something that would have to be developed or already a way to do this in the current program.

Ron

Simon Roberts

Aug 23, 2021, 12:47:02 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I would vote for this being useful, while simultaneously recognizing the pretty extreme difficulty that I'd expect it to cause. Short of creating "our own" maps--and then maintaining them (double-yikes) it's hard to see how this could be done computationally from the base maps from the FAA.

I note that at my ridiculously crowded glider-towing + power training airfield, I use the flyway map (because I'm near enough to Bravo airspace that one exists). I find the white background creates far better contrast than the normal brown (yup, mountainous area) of the sectional or TAC charts.

Based on that, you could try using the IFR charts as a background. And I suppose from that, one might be able to do a computational color inversion of those; then you'd end up with mostly black backgrounds. You'd also lose much of the VFR information, of course...

Zubair Khan

Aug 23, 2021, 12:52:31 PM8/23/21
to dancingclou...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
You may try night mode in Preferences.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Aug 23, 2021, 12:54:12 PM8/23/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
actually I think increasing the "line weight" of the traffic symbols would be a big help.  My personal opinion is they are too small/thin

Simon Roberts

Aug 23, 2021, 1:17:20 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Oh, night mode looks really good with IFR charts! I think the IFR area chart, in night mode, might become my goto presentation when I'm towing.

Any chance you could add this night magic to the flyway chart too, since it's mostly white? The visual references it provides are useful, though with North-up display I doubt I'll get confused with the presentation of the IFR area chart.

Nice!!!

Peter Gustafson

Aug 23, 2021, 2:11:25 PM8/23/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
FWIW VFR charts are raster from the FAA and no reasonable amount of work would strip background from foreground.  IFR enroute seems to fit the goal best (in a full coverage chart), unless I've missed the intent?