can't sync, backup or restore to tablet

oakchas

Sep 5, 2020, 7:33:51 PM9/5/20
to Apps4Av Forum

This is the error message I get:
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Google Drive restore failed!
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Disconnecting from Google Drive...
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Restoring from Google Drive...
Google Drive connection failed!
Connecting to Google Drive...
Disconnecting from Google Drive...
Google Drive connection failed!

In a window at the bottom of the page:

com.ds.avare. Avare Application requires one or more Google Play services that are not currently available. Please contact the developer for assistance.

Version of Avare: 8.1.7

Running on:
Galaxy Tab A (8.0", 2019)
model SM-T290
Android version 10

Now, it has always worked before. And, the upgrade before this I even got shaded circles around the METAR sites instead of colored squares, which was really nice.

It still syncs fine on my android phone, but I cant seem to sync the file on my phone to my tablet which I could do before and it was great!

Seems there was an update since the one that gave me the shaded circles, and perhaps that's when I lost the sync capability.

I have tried everything, to include uninstalling and reinstalling on the tablet. I've lost my W&B, my Plans, my aircraft, checklists, everything...and, of course after the reinstall I had to re-download  all my charts etc....

What can I do, what have I done wrong? How can I fix this. I looked at old threads on this and there were no real answers. I can copy everything manually back, I guess, but I've spent the better part of a day on this already.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Charlie

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 5, 2020, 10:01:50 PM9/5/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,

I can confirm that the backup and restore is working for me on a Samsung SM-T380 (Tab A 2017) with Avare 8.1.7.

Make sure that you tablet is logged into the Google service, go to (from the tablet's menus not Avare) go to the pulldown menu and choose the "Gear icon" to bring up the settings menu, from the settings menu look for the "Google settings" item and verify that you are logged into your google account.

Can you access your Google drive via Google's app?

I don't recall having to do anything else to allow Avare to write to the Google Drive.

Jeff

oakchas

Sep 6, 2020, 12:00:45 AM9/6/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Yes I can log into any of my Google accounts on the tablet through Google.

There are 2accountd but always have been

oakchas

Sep 6, 2020, 8:45:06 PM9/6/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I was able, finally, to restore data to my tablet! It wasn't pretty. I had to reset the tablet, losing anything else I may have saved to it.
I did backup all the data to the micro sd card, but may not use it anyway... I use the tablet exclusively for Avare. Or, at least I will now.
Jeffrey, thank you for your input... But even though I could log into my drive and see the data file in drive, Avare would not restore it until I did the reset..

Mark Weiss

Sep 8, 2020, 8:24:11 PM9/8/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I just went to back up my Avare data to Google Drive and got the same error message. It worked on August 1 when I did the last back-up. Any ideas? I do not want to reset. Using Avare version 8.1.7 on Android 9.

Michael Byrd

Sep 11, 2020, 2:08:11 PM9/11/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I'm having the same trouble. I'm logged in properly to my Google account and everything G Suite related is working. And this used to work for me. Was there an update to Avare that might have affected this?

Michael Byrd

Sep 11, 2020, 2:54:16 PM9/11/20
to Apps4Av Forum
More data for troubleshooting: I restarted my tablet. No change. I tried backing up from my phone, also no luck. This is what leads me to think something has changed with Avare or Google Drive. I was in the habit of backing up my tablet frequently to Drive and restoring my phone from that backup, to keep both of my devices current with my latest flight planning.

Thanks. Love the app. I'm a student pilot and I just did my first solo xc. I had Avare open on both of my devices.

- mb

John W SBA

Sep 11, 2020, 5:58:52 PM9/11/20
to Michael Byrd, Apps4Av Forum
> something has changed with Avare or Google Drive.

My guess would be gDrive, since I've noticed many changes on their side
lately. I've never used it to back up anything on my phone, and the
handful of things I do have there are first backed up on my computer and
its backup hard drives. Is there a way to download what you have there,
and restore it in a fresh Avare install?

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 11, 2020, 7:26:51 PM9/11/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there was a change on the Google Drive side, it is no longer working for me on Android 9 and nothing has changed with Avare.

I just tried on a Samsung SM-T350 which is running 7.1.1 and had been turned off for a while, I found that it worked fine, I then looked to see if there were any updates available of interest and found that there was update waiting for Google drive dated August 24th.  After installing the Google Drive update I am no longer able to sync to Google Drive.

Google apparently changed the sync rules.

I'll open a bug on the issue.

Jeff

Saul W. Adelman

Sep 14, 2020, 7:45:31 AM9/14/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Google backup and restore reports the same:
In a window at the bottom of the page:
com.ds.avare. Avare Application requires one or more Google Play services that are not currently available. Please contact the developer for assistance.
Running: Samsung Galaxy 9+ , latest Avare and all updated....

Sam Hoskins

Sep 17, 2020, 9:49:24 PM9/17/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Same problem here. Tried uninstalling the app and reinstall. No joy.

Rats.

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 17, 2020, 9:56:23 PM9/17/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Google changed something in the Google Drive application which is dated August 24th, once you've downloaded that version of Google Drive Avare will no longer be able to access Google Drive.  No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling Avare will resolve the problem, however it is possible that a factory reset of your tablet *AND* preventing Google Drive from updating on the tablet you may regain access to Google drive, but should you update Google Drive you will be back in the same boat.  Plus I'm sure at some point the changes that Google made to their software will become mandatory to use anyway.

I have opened a bug on this issue about a week ago.

Jeff

Peter Gustafson

Sep 21, 2020, 8:36:58 AM9/21/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
It is also possible that you need to reathenticate to gdrive.  In several other apps I've used, I've had to do that periodically (for example, rclone). It may be coupled to the thing Jeff talks about here. From this thread I don't think I have enough info to discern.

Bottom line in the authentication method of rclone you get an "
access_token" for a length of time, and it appears a "refresh_token".  If you go too far past authentication without refresh, I think they both expire.  I haven't read if the same system is what is used in avare, but I suspect it follows very similar rules.  It is possible the reauthetication doesn't have a complete implementation???

Andrew Sarangan

Sep 27, 2020, 4:37:08 PM9/27/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I am not able to connect to gdrive either from Avare. Until that bug is resolved, is there a way to manually restore from the avare_data.zip file?

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 27, 2020, 6:48:48 PM9/27/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to defer to one of the developers for positive confirmation but I am pretty sure you are unable to manually load/save a configuration file in Avare unless the device has been "rooted" as the preferences file is not visible to the device user.

There was some discussion about importing routes from Skyvector a while back, unfortunately I don't remember the outcome and was unable to locate it.

Jeff

Jim Roberts

Sep 28, 2020, 7:31:17 AM9/28/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I save plans form Skyvector quite often.
Jim

Ben Hansen

Oct 21, 2020, 2:10:25 PM10/21/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Thanks for opening a bug report Jeff, I am having the same problem and will be following this thread. I have three devices I  keep synced and now cant.
Ben

Andrew Sarangan

Nov 1, 2020, 2:26:31 PM11/1/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Has there been any update on this? I still can't sync to google drive.

Brad Walker

Nov 18, 2020, 11:04:00 AM11/18/20
to Andrew Sarangan, Apps4Av Forum
This is a problem w/ Avare.. I was looking at the source code for a filesystem issue last night and this issue, you're having, came to mind.

The problem is the Google Drive API interface that Avare is using was turned off as of Dec. 6, 2019. Consider yourself lucky that it worked past that date. But, it does look like Google has finally pulled the plug and this is not usable anymore. For the details, you could look at the following URL:

As for status on how this gets fixed, I have no idea as I'm not a member of the development team. I'm just a software developer who happens to also be a pilot. But, it is fixable. It's just going to take some software work.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

-brad w.

Peter Gustafson

Nov 19, 2020, 10:51:37 AM11/19/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad, nice find. Thanks.  Would you be willing to file this as a bug report so it starts to get tracked?

This looks like a great first-time-contributor project for somebody who is looking for a way to dip their toe in avare developing.

Jeffrey Ross

Nov 19, 2020, 12:00:46 PM11/19/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
There is already a bug open for this :

https://github.com/apps4av/avare/issues/402

Probably make sense to add your observations and information there instead of created a new bug.

Jeff

t v

Nov 19, 2020, 1:29:58 PM11/19/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi everyone.
It would be a good idea to find out how many users are actually using that feature?
I, and the pilots that I interface with, never use or see a need for that feature. Any time you depend on external sources, that you have no control over, you will likely never be able to keep up with the changes.
Can someone post what is the reason why the Have to use it, is it just convenience or a must, and what exact part of that feature you find that cannot be done, with some additional extra personal effort on the user's part, and keep all that information internally?
I would stay away from that type of external access if for no other reason than privacy and would prefer the additional work on my part. TV

Zubair Khan

Nov 19, 2020, 5:45:35 PM11/19/20
to fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Good point.
Anytime there is an external interface involved there is a chance to break it. Perhaps we can allow people to email their data and import the data. Will think about it.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nov 20, 2020, 2:12:53 PM11/20/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I was disappointed to see the feature get broken by Google.
I would like to use the feature.

Zubair Khan

Nov 29, 2020, 12:51:31 PM11/29/20
to John Rodkey, Apps4Av Forum
The feature was deprecated and requires a much more annoying interface. I have instead enabled auto saving.
Which requires you have a google account, have opted in gdrive sync. Backup will happen periodically (hours to days) or manually using backup in settings. Restore will happen when you reinstall the app.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Nov 30, 2020, 1:19:06 PM11/30/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Is there a different avenue for duplicating settings, flight plans, plane info, etc. between devices? I use Avare on more than one device (for redundancy) and an option to have all the same info easily migrated from one device to another without re-installing would be great. Even something like emailing a config file or exporting it to a shared folder in my local network then importing to another device would be very helpful.
Thanks to the dev team and to the community at large! This is an amazing app and I'm glad to have found it.

Thank you,
Jeremie D

Jeffrey Ross

Nov 30, 2020, 2:08:43 PM11/30/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Because of how the backup is done via the Android OS, it is no longer possible to copy your settings between devices.

Jeff

Sam Hoskins

Dec 3, 2020, 9:41:09 AM12/3/20
to Apps4Av Forum
So, just to be clear, is any particular action required by the user, or does it happen automatically, provided wi have an active G-drive? Are there any actions we need to take? I don't see a manual backup in the settings for my Samsung Tab A.

Thanks.

M F

Jan 6, 2021, 6:56:48 PM1/6/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I just lost all my w&b and plan info as well.

Can there be a text file for each w&b and plan created instead of storing it in the db?

Wouldn't this solve the issue of losing this info when the db gets deleted (like what just happened to me)?
It would be an easy way to copy these files to another device if needed.
It would solve the issue where you get duplicate w&b lines that happens in Avare now.
Text files are not version sensitive like a db is.

Ditto for plan info too. I might be using device A today and device B next week. The plan is created on device A but now I need it on device B. Would be so nice just to copy/email/GD the file between devices.

Mac

Zubair Khan

Jan 6, 2021, 7:12:02 PM1/6/21
to man...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Want to be able to give users all they want but Google has restrictions.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Jan 6, 2021, 11:00:56 PM1/6/21
to bwa...@musings.com, man...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
The restrictions are not related to text file reading or writing but how the user will get to it. Regardless of the data storage type of a user can't get to it then it might as well not exist.
Android provides no way to reliably and uniformly find sd cards, folders, or anything outside the app's own folder.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Jan 6, 2021, 11:29:00 PM1/6/21
to Zubair Khan, bwa...@musings.com, Apps4Av Forum
Kind of the same concept as the kml files, Avare creates and writes to these files in a Tracks folder. Now with w&b files, create a w&b folder with files but also read from them?? And a plan folder...

t v

Jan 6, 2021, 11:56:09 PM1/6/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi Brad and everyone.
Over the years many of us, I, John, Dean, Ferdi... wrote procedures that worked on some devices / OS combinations only to find out later, next OS version that they will no longer work. This was an ongoing problem and while G says it's for security reasons it does not take much effort to understand the real reason.
@Brad  do a search for SDcard and read some of the messages, it may give you a better understanding of the effort over the years was to support that feature. If you can find a way to do that I would be willing to test your code, I can probably find a way to get it installed in your / any device but it gets to the point of diminished returns / not worth any more. I still have 3 devices that only have 4GB of internal Storage and I found procedures to install in the SDcard but with the devices having 8-256GB of internal storage this becomes less of a problem for most, unless you have time and want the challenge.

t v

Jan 7, 2021, 12:05:47 AM1/7/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi Mand...
If you write to the internal SDcard, where the .kml files are stored you are not saving any storage space. That is NOT the External SD card. TV

M F

Jan 7, 2021, 12:33:49 AM1/7/21
to t v, Apps4Av Forum
Good evening.  We've finally got all the chart data being stored back on the sd-card external storage.  I know the kml files are stored at /storage/emulated/0 (/sdcard) which is internal storage.  Not worried about those files on internal storage as they are tiny.  The chart data was over a gig and my internal storage was over 90% full.

For this thread I was suggesting there be a way to have w&b and plan data be written to a text type files (small files) just like the kml files are to the internal storage. This would be so easy for me to share the files between my small screen tablet and my large screen tablet. It would also fix the problem of duplicate w&b lines that occurs now.

I see the changes coming in Android 10/Q/29 and forced in 11/R/30. Wondering if the download folder is going to be the only folder available for this after reading about scoped storage. Don't want these files to be deleted when uninstalled.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss more.

Mac

Brad Walker

Jan 7, 2021, 1:46:14 AM1/7/21
to Zubair Khan, man...@gmail.com, Apps4Av Forum
What you're saying makes sense..

I think this situation is going to get more unpleasant in the future. Unfortunately. Avare is probably going to have to implement using the Storage Access Framework [1]  in the future. So much so that newer platforms like Android 11 are going to start implementing Scoped Storage [2] and that is really going to make this more complicated. Lastly, it looks like on Nov. 2021 the Google Store is going to really start enforcing a lot of this as "app updates will be required to target API level 30 or above and adjust for behavioral changes in Android 11" [3].

I hope that the dev team can work on this. I would like to contribute to that effort if possible. And I understand this might be unwelcome news, so don't shoot me as I'm just the messenger here.. 8-)

-brad w.

M F

Jan 7, 2021, 2:26:20 AM1/7/21
to Brad Walker, Zubair Khan, Apps4Av Forum
Which means there will have to be two flavors of Avare, the one now supporting up to Andriod 9 (could say 10 as it works now on 10) and then a new version Android 11 and forward (Android 10 should work as SS is already here). Might have to call it Avare-X+ for 10+.

Andriod 11 was released a few months ago and by this summer someone will be saying my Avare won't run on my new tablet. I'll help test. If I could code I'd help.