Avare does not show the relative altitude

Jim Stout

Aug 17, 2021, 6:26:44 PM8/17/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I am sure it's something I am missing.  I am currently running Avare app on my New model  Moto G5 stylus running android 11. Runs just fine except that I don't see relative altitudes of other Aircraft near me.  I had the same issue on the older tablet.  I went as far as to get a new ADSB-IN  box called STRADUX and the same results.  I am newer user of this app so that would figure. I did search on this forum but I didn't see this "problem" mentioned.  I am going to try again tomorrow.  What are the requirements for this to work?  Thanks for your suggestions in advance.  Jim

Zubair Khan

Aug 17, 2021, 6:30:01 PM8/17/21
to kool.s...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Jim
Your device needs to get township altitude to show relative altitude.
If you can record the adsb data with Avare IO app then can take a look.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Aug 17, 2021, 8:10:45 PM8/17/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I had the same problem some time ago....using an older Nexus tablet OS 7.1.1 and newer Moto g8 OS 11....the problem is not the tablets. I was using a StratuX ADSB suctioned to my canopy which worked fine, both antennas receiving....but was getting acft/airlines at all altitudes regardless of any specific setting I set in Avare pref....then I got a compatible thumbdrive gps that plugged into the stratuX box, taped the thumbdrive to stratuX and viola,,,relative altitudes....so you need a separate gps source connected to the stratuX. Jeff or Z maybe able to give more technical info on the exact type of thumbdrive.

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 17, 2021, 8:33:58 PM8/17/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I saw this earlier and had planned on responding.

Roger is correct, you need to have a good solid GPS in the ADS-B in device, and a lot of the Stratux units use a simple USB plugin device that contains the antenna internally (see image below), the problem with this design in the Stratux is that it sits right next to the SDR receivers (Software Defined Radio) which generate a bunch of noise and can prevent the GPS from getting a good GPS lock.  My suggestion for a GPS receiver on the Stratux is a VK-162 GPS, with one strong caution specifically with the external part, there is a small but very strong magnet in bottom which can potentially interfere with your compass, I would highly recommend you remove the magnet by simply peeling up the sticker and removing the magnet on the bottom of the antenna.

With the GPS module pictured I rarely had more than 5 birds in use at a time and sometimes would lose my position, with the VK-162 the Stratux is usually using 8 or more birds at a time and is rock solid with its position.

Jeff

Jim Stout

Aug 18, 2021, 12:59:11 PM8/18/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Thanks, folks.  I took another close look at my older RASBERRY ADS-B receiver and noticed that the 2 SDR's are mounted on external USB PORTS and the other (USB?) port has power  attached. other than the HDMI port, there's no other ports I can use for the external GPS receiver connection.  I guess I will just reorder the Stratux box again without the internal GPS option and try the GPS VK-162 that Jeff mentioned which I already have on order from yesterday's suggestions. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.  Jim Stout

Andy

Aug 18, 2021, 2:49:10 PM8/18/21
to Apps4Av Forum
You may have internal USB Ports and that is likely where the GPS is plugged into so remove it and go with the external. I had the same problems and the external works fine.