Confused About Braille Translation With Apple Devices

Teresa Cochran

Sep 27, 2020, 6:15:13 PM9/27/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all,

I'm using an Orbit 20 with a Mac and an iPod. When I try to use Braille for text input, especially in a multi-line edit box, it's very unpredictable, and extraneous characters get thrown all over the place, whether I have automatic translation on or off. It does seem much more responsive when I mute speech.

Does anyone know the nature of the bugs in this respect? I'm very comfortable with Braille, so I can use it with no typing feedback. Is this the work-around?

Thanks,
Teresa

Winging its way from my iPod

Richard Turner

Sep 27, 2020, 8:12:44 PM9/27/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
What are your braille settings on your iPod?Output, input and braille table Also, under voiceOver settings, typing, what are your settings for typing feedback?That will hellp understand what might be happening.Also, which firmarware version are you running on the Orbit 20?

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Teresa Cochran <vegaspip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, all,

Teresa Cochran

Sep 27, 2020, 9:20:03 PM9/27/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Richard,

I'm running the latest firmware on Orbit 20. I have everything set to UEB, input to contracted Braille for Voiceover Braille settings. I have typing feedback as “words”, but notice a huge improvement when I turn typing feedback off or mute Voiceover speech.

Teresa

Richard Turner

Teresa Cochran

Sep 28, 2020, 1:33:00 AM9/28/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Richard; I'll give these things a try. I'm running iOS14.0.1.
Teresa

Winging its way from my iPod

On Sep 27, 2020, at 22:08, Richard Turner <richard....@gmail.com> wrote:

Which iOS version is the iPod running?If this is also happening on the Mac, I'm not sure there, but I suspect the iPod will prove to be best with speech muted. I'm not sure what would be happening to have extraneous characters showing up.as distracting as it can be you may want to try typing feedback with characters and words and see if anything improves.HTH,

María García

Sep 28, 2020, 11:21:12 AM9/28/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theresa and All,
I am a Mac user as well,I never tried to type with my Orbit hauing it connected with the Mac, however I know that if I convert either with Text Edidit or Pages a file from .docx , .rtf or .doc to txt for transfering it after to the Orbit, in the Orbit appear strange symbols. I asked to Orbit support, and they told me that there is aencoding isue bitween Orbit and Mac, and thet they are working on it.
I don.t know if it could have any relation with the thing which you talk about, but perhaps it is.
María

Enviado desde mi iPhone

> El 28 sept 2020, a las 0:15, Teresa Cochran <vegaspip...@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> Hi, all,

Dolores Manzino

Sep 28, 2020, 11:36:39 AM9/28/20
to apple braille
Hi all,

I am not an Orbit user, so I doubt I can help with this. But as someone who uses both Spanish and English Braille, I thought I’d chime in. Can you switch between the Braille tables easily for Spanish and English Braille in VoiceOver preferences? If you’re a Mac user, this will make sense. Not the most ideal solution, but it’s what we have. I have strange symbols when reading Spanish on my Focus Blue. Don’t know if that helps. I hope the coding between Orbit and Mac will be fixed soon. I wanted an Orbit Reader, but they don’t sell them anymore. At least, I don’t think so. But I could be mistaken.

Dolores

A cat’s purr is the sweetest sound
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/B15723F8-07A6-4E57-932C-5F71F3CEF2E9%40gmail.com.

María García

Sep 28, 2020, 11:46:48 AM9/28/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dolores and All,
First at All, I .m not sure, but I think that Orbit Research continuesselling The «old orbit», but anyway, they sell, the Orbit 20 plus, atat infact, as both ld languages user, I think that it.s the best so;ution, and infact, I chose it because of this.
Infact, as Spanish user I can say that my problem with converting files with Mac from rtf or word to txt, I find it with Spanish sybols, because they appear stranges, with English I don.t know, but i don.t think

Enviado desde mi iPhone

> El 28 sept 2020, a las 17:36, Dolores Manzino <gwenn...@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am not an Orbit user, so I doubt I can help with this. But as someone who uses both Spanish aso.Ididd.t nunderstad exactly
> what you mean when you talk about Braille tables, where?, in the Orbit, in the Mac, or where?. In the Mac, I have the Spanish table, but the issue is there.
Bye and many thanks:
María
> dEnglish Braille, I thought I’d chime in. Can you switch between the Braille tables easily for Spanish and English Braille in VoiceOver preferences? If you’re a Mac user, this will make sense. Not the most ideal solution, but it’s what we have. I have strange symbols when reading Spanish on my Focus Blue. Don’t know if that helps. I hope the coding between Orbit and Mac will be fixed soon. I wanted an Orbit Reader, but they don’t sell them anymore. At least, I don’t think so. But I could be mistaken.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/6C1A51A3-B887-4854-9250-0ACA208B5555%40gmail.com.

Dolores Manzino

Sep 28, 2020, 11:59:45 AM9/28/20
to apple braille
Hi Maria,

Thank you for letting me know they sell the Orbit Reader. I’ll look in to where they sell it as Ithink APH stopped selling it.

Dolores

A cat’s purr is the sweetest sound

Teresa Cochran

Sep 28, 2020, 12:51:24 PM9/28/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Teresa

Winging its way from my iPod

On Sep 28, 2020, at 08:59, Dolores Manzino <gwenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Maria,

Barbara Milner

Sep 28, 2020, 3:14:20 PM9/28/20
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello teresa,

Did you put website in it or not? I refused to link it without warning because it can be scam or hoax. I not want to take risk.

I feel all of you should advised like saying here is the orbit braille display website or whaterv\ instead of website alone looks not right. It makes me think it is scam.

Thank you for your understanding as we not want to get virus as it is harmful for our computer.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone