Zoom RTMP adaptive streaming recommendations?

Doni

Aug 4, 2021, 11:22:59 AM8/4/21
to Ant Media Server
Hi,

I need to set up an AMS which will be used for publishing a live event from Zoom via RTMP and served as HLS behind CloudFront using the player. Anyone know optimal adaptive streaming settings for that? Not quite sure how to determine that.

Thanks, Doni

Ant Media Support

Aug 4, 2021, 3:24:00 PM8/4/21
to doni...@thedeal.com, ant-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doni,
Hope you are doing well.
Ant Media Server supports adaptive streaming in both WebRTC and HLS formats.
There is a slight difference between WebRTC and HLS adaptive streaming. In WebRTC, Ant Media Server measures the player's bandwidth and selects the optimum quality according to the player's bandwidth. On the contrary, in HLS, player measures its bandwidth and fetches the optimum quality from the server.

In AMS, the default ABR settings are good to be used and you can modify it as well. You can refer to the ABR ladder in the attachement.
​--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

, Katz, Doni (US) <doni...@thedeal.com> wrote:
45264:1264838
ABR Ladder.png

Doni

Aug 4, 2021, 4:15:51 PM8/4/21
to Ant Media Server
Thanks, but I'm still unclear what are the optimal settings for Zoom as source and in what use cases specifying all the various ladder options are helpful vs sticking with the default adaptive setting. Do people tend to set them all? (In the hosted media services I've used in the past, by default it included several adaptive versions, so we didn't need to mess with it.)

Incidentally, I notice when saving to MP4, it saves all versions. Is there a way to have it just save the highest quality? Otherwise it's a real mess.

Thanks, Doni

Ant Media Support

Aug 5, 2021, 8:17:24 AM8/5/21
to doni...@thedeal.com, ant-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doni,
The choice of ABR entirely depends on the user and is set to cater to the internet bandwidth of the end user. The most used resolutions are 360p, 420p, 720p and 1080p.

--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

On Wed, 4 Aug at 11:15 PM

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 12:24:00 PM UTC-7 support wrote:
Hi Doni,
Hope you are doing well.
Ant Media Server supports adaptive streaming in both WebRTC and HLS formats.
There is a slight difference between WebRTC and HLS adaptive streaming. In WebRTC, Ant Media Server measures the player's bandwidth and selects the optimum quality according to the player's bandwidth. On the contrary, in HLS, player measures its bandwidth and fetches the optimum quality from the server.

In AMS, the default ABR settings are good to be used and you can modify it as well. You can refer to the ABR ladder in the attachement.
​--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

On Wed, 4 Aug at 6:23 PM
Hi,

I need to set up an AMS which will be used for publishing a live event from Zoom via RTMP and served as HLS behind CloudFront using the player. Anyone know optimal adaptive streaming settings for that? Not quite sure how to determine that.

Thanks, Doni

Doni

Aug 5, 2021, 8:32:17 AM8/5/21
to Ant Media Server
Thanks. Re adaptive resolution file cleanup script, how would I go about that if I'm saving to S3, not locally? How would I script to delete from AMS so it deletes from S3 too? (Right now S3 deletion isn't working from AMS, an open github issue, but let's assume it is working.)

Thanks, Doni

Ant Media Support

Aug 5, 2021, 2:07:01 PM8/5/21
to doni...@thedeal.com, ant-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doni,
You can refer the user defined scripts from https://github.com/ant-media/Ant-Media-Server/wiki/User-defined-Scripts
I think the issue you are talking about on the GitHub was created by me and it talks about the issue with community edition. I have checked on the enterprise edition and deleting the VOD from dashboard deletes it from the S3 bucket. (P.S. Followed the exact security settings recommended on the wiki document).
If you can describe the reproduce scenario, maybe we can try on that.
--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

Doni

Aug 5, 2021, 4:54:26 PM8/5/21
to Ant Media Server
Thanks, Mohit. So you're suggesting a script that calls the API to delete the ones I don't want? Can you provide a sample script? (This really should be a feature option; I imagine many people would only want to save the original bitrate.)

In my Enterprise Edition 2.3.3.1 20210609_2033, deleting from the console does not delete from S3. Logs show the following pointing to the internal path: “File is not deleted because it does not exist /usr/local/antmedia/webapps/<myapp>/streams/<file>” and the S3 file remains. Whether or not HTTP forwarding is enabled.

Regards, Doni

Ant Media Support

Aug 6, 2021, 5:53:25 AM8/6/21
to doni...@thedeal.com, ant-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doni,
Yes, I suggest creating bash script which has to detect resolution value and if doesn't have the highest resolution let's say 1080p prefix in mp4 file, script should delete this mp4 file.
Maybe we can create a feature request on GitHub for this. I have created the same https://github.com/ant-media/Ant-Media-Server/issues/3505

Also, the vod file is getting deleted from the S3 bucket when deleted from the dashboard in my environment. Can you please specify if you used any other permissions than those mentioned in the doc and if you only added S3 credentials on the dashboard and not in the code. An exact reproduce scenario will be easy to execute and act.
--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

Doni

Aug 6, 2021, 10:53:39 AM8/6/21
to Ant Media Server
Hi Mohit,

I have the bucket permissions the same as the wiki and the IAM user with AmazonS3FullAccess policy (I normally have it more restricted, but I've matched it to the wiki for testing). I have S3 settings set identically in the console and also the xml file, because it seems to need both to work (I've tried removing it from one or the other and it stopped saving to S3). I had tried with just runtime role instead of IAM user, but that didn't work for me (I emailed support, but didn't hear back again), so I'm using the IAM user method per the wiki. I've tried with server-side bucket encryption on and off, same result. Right now I'm set up exactly like the wiki.

It saves files to S3 okay, but won't delete them, even though it definitely has delete permissions. And the logs imply it trying to delete local file, not S3: "WARN  io.antmedia.rest.RestServiceBase - File is not deleted because it does not exist /usr/local/antmedia/webapps/<appname>/streams/<filename>.mp4"

Thanks, Doni

Doni

Aug 6, 2021, 11:44:14 AM8/6/21
to Ant Media Server
One more thing: I created fresh apps to test, to make sure it wasn't some odd misconfig in my app. If I add S3 settings just in red5-web.xml as it says in the wiki, it doesn't save to S3. If I add S3 settings in the web console (or directly in red5-web.properties), saving to S3 works, but it doesn't delete from S3.

Thanks, Doni

Ant Media Support

Aug 6, 2021, 11:49:59 AM8/6/21
to doni...@thedeal.com, ant-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doni,
Let's do it this way. Undo all the changes made in red5-web.xml and add the required settings only on the dashboard as per the wiki for S3 saving and don't enter endpoints on the dashboard and try to save and delete from the dashboard. If it doesn't reflects on the S3 bucket, please let me know and we can check that together.
--
Best Regards,
Mohit Dubey

Star Ant Media Server on GitHub and get a chance to win an AMS Annual Enterprise Edition License.

Doni

Aug 6, 2021, 12:14:01 PM8/6/21
to Ant Media Server
Clean red5-web.xml. Added S3 settings in the console, leaving out endpoint, same result: saves to S3, but doesn't delete.

Thanks, Doni