How do I nest lookup calls

ZillaYT

Sep 16, 2016, 2:50:31 PM9/16/16
to Ansible Project
From How to set environment variable with value obtained from ~/.aws/credentials? I'm using lookup to get the values from a file off my home directory. But how do I nest the result of one lookup call into a subsequent lookup call? In the following code, I want to use the value of home_dir in the subsequent lookups.

- name: Set AWS variables
  set_fact
:
    home_dir
: lookup('env', 'HOME')
    aws_access_key_id
: "{{ lookup('ini', 'aws_access_key_id section=default file=home_dir/.aws/credentials') }}"
    aws_secret_access_key
: "{{ lookup('ini', 'aws_secret_access_key section=default file=home_dir/.aws/credentials') }}"

The above code gives

An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback, use -vvv. The error was: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/home/myUser//andible_subdir/home_dir/.aws/credentials'
fatal
: [10.22.9.4]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "Unexpected failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}

Kai Stian Olstad

Sep 16, 2016, 3:27:09 PM9/16/16
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
On 16. sep. 2016 20:50, ZillaYT wrote:
> From How to set environment variable with value obtained from
> ~/.aws/credentials?
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ansible-project/KCpkbncyOxI> I'm
> using lookup to get the values from a file off my home directory. But how
> do I nest the result of one lookup call into a subsequent lookup call? In
> the following code, I want to use the value of home_dir in the subsequent
> lookups.
>
> - name: Set AWS variables
> set_fact:
> home_dir: lookup('env', 'HOME')
> aws_access_key_id: "{{ lookup('ini', 'aws_access_key_id section=default file=home_dir/.aws/credentials') }}"
> aws_secret_access_key: "{{ lookup('ini', 'aws_secret_access_key section=default file=home_dir/.aws/credentials') }}"

If you use file=~/.aws/credentials it will work.

--
Kai Stian Olstad

ZillaYT

Sep 16, 2016, 3:35:56 PM9/16/16
to Ansible Project, ansible-pr...@olstad.com
That was so obvious that i didn't see it, thanks!!! Yes it worked. I was just wanting to use home_dir somewhere else, but this gets me going.