win_package unable to install .exe Chart Director

daniya...@arctiq.ca

Aug 3, 2017, 3:54:37 PM8/3/17
to Ansible Project
Hello, I am trying to install Chart Director which is an .exe file with ansible. I am trying to use win_package to do the install as I have already checked for the registries in the uninstall directory (HKLM:Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) after doing a manual install. Heres my playbook:

     - name: install

       win_package:

         name: install chartdir

         path: C:\Windows\setup_4.0.exe

         product_id: '{00065AC0-1AEC-4AB2-B5C3-79FBB228A9A1}' #taken from the HKML path above after the manual install

         state: present

After I run the playbook, my playbook just sits there and no information is spewed out with -vvvv.

Chart Director version im trying to install is 4.0.

Manually, all the InstallShield wizard is 'Next', 'Next', 'Next with no other user input. Any help would be appreciated

Jordan Borean

Aug 3, 2017, 9:37:35 PM8/3/17
to Ansible Project
You would need to find out what the install arguments for a silent install are. I believe InstallShield uses '-s' but you would need to determine if that is the case with this particular ex. Once you have found out what the silent argument is add it to your task like so

- name: install
  win_package:
    name: install chartdir
    path: C:\Windows\setup_4.0.exe
    product_id: '{00065AC0-1AEC-4AB2-B5C3-79FBB228A9A1}'
    arguments: '-s'
    state: present

daniya...@arctiq.ca

Aug 10, 2017, 11:44:49 AM8/10/17
to Ansible Project
Turns out the application I am trying to install does not have any silent options. Returns nothing when executed with .\setup-4.0.exe /? or .\setup-4.0.exe /h /help

Trond Hindenes

Aug 13, 2017, 4:14:22 PM8/13/17
to Ansible Project
In that case you'd have to repackage it using a msi tool or something.

J Hawkesworth

Aug 14, 2017, 2:41:27 PM8/14/17
to Ansible Project
If they used nsis to package try /sd

I think it is reasonable to ask the vendor to provide a silent installation option too.  Point out that it is in their interest too - if you can automate installation, then doing automated testing against all supported versions of an operating system is easier.

Hope this helps,

Jon