Ansible 2.5.0 Release Candidate 1 is available

matt...@redhat.com

Feb 22, 2018, 9:06:37 PM2/22/18
to Ansible Project
Hi all- we're happy to announce that Release Candidate 1 of Ansible 2.5.0 is now available!

How do you get it?

All Ansible pre-releases in the 2.5 series will be published to PyPI. This is probably the easiest way for most users to install:

$ pip install ansible==2.5.0rc1 --user

The tar.gz of the release can be found here:

SHA256: 936e4f4619e243182462973a6a091f14d5032e081ad13f4251b96e59761fca7f

You can also test against the git repository as follows:

$ cd ansible
$ git checkout v2.5.0rc1

You can then source our testing script:

$ . hacking/env-setup

or you can build your own .tar.gz (output will be dist/ansible-2.5.0rc1.tar.gz):

$ make sdist

Weekly pre-release builds are planned through release; all will be available via PyPI, releases.ansible.com, and GitHub.

Planned Release Schedule
Release Candidate 2 (if necessary): not before March 1, 2018
(further release candidates as necessary)
Final Release: mid-March, 2018

Finally, we've published a draft porting guide at https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/porting_guides/porting_guide_2.5.html to help migrate your content to 2.5. If you discover any errors, or if you see any regressions from playbooks which work on 2.4.x and prior, please open a Github issue, and be sure to mention you're testing against 2.5.0rc1.

Thanks!

Matt Davis (@nitzmahone)
Ansible Core Engineering / 2.5 release manager

Claudia de Luna

Feb 24, 2018, 8:59:22 AM2/24/18
to Ansible Project
Thanks Matt!

In the change log:

there is a link to "Network Best Practices for Ansible 2.5" which fails or maybe is just not ready yet.

Text: in Changelog:

While neither is technically a new plugin, these connections may now be used directly with network modules. See Network Best Practices for Ansible 2.5 for more details.

URL that fails:

Not Found

The requested URL /ansible/devel/networking_guide/network_best_practices_2.5.html was not found on this server.

Michael Ströder

Feb 24, 2018, 9:34:41 AM2/24/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com, matt...@redhat.com
matt...@redhat.com wrote:
> Hi all- we're happy to announce that Release Candidate 1 of Ansible
> 2.5.0 is now available!

It seems to me that tags are not working as expected:
The tagged tasks are not executed.

Ciao, Michael.

Matt Martz

Feb 24, 2018, 12:17:26 PM2/24/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
We are in the process of performing some docs restructuring, and the redirects are not yet in place.  That document can be found at http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/network/user_guide/network_best_practices_2.5.html

Matt Martz
@sivel
sivel.net

Claudia de Luna

Feb 24, 2018, 12:23:58 PM2/24/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
This is great!  Thank you!

matt...@redhat.com

Feb 28, 2018, 11:50:14 PM2/28/18
to Ansible Project
Tag support in 2.5.0 is passing all the integration tests, so I'd be surprised if it's not working, but If you've got a reproducible issue, please file it on Github.

Michael Ströder

Apr 5, 2018, 2:25:01 PM4/5/18
matt...@redhat.com wrote:
> Tag support in 2.5.0 is passing all the integration tests, so I'd be
> surprised if it's not working, but If you've got a reproducible issue,
> please file it on Github.

With ansible 2.5.0.0 this task is not executed with -t monitoring:

- name: "Monitoring scripts on {{ openldap_role }}"
include_tasks: "slapd_monitoring.yml"
tags:
- monitoring

It works correctly with ansible 2.4.4.

Ciao, Michael.

Kai Stian Olstad

Apr 5, 2018, 2:34:38 PM4/5/18
On Thursday, 5 April 2018 20.24.40 CEST Michael Ströder wrote:
> matt...@redhat.com wrote:
> > Tag support in 2.5.0 is passing all the integration tests, so I'd be
> > surprised if it's not working, but If you've got a reproducible issue,
> > please file it on Github.
>
> With ansible 2.5.0.0 this task is not executed with -t monitoring:
>
> - name: "Monitoring scripts on {{ openldap_role }}"
> include_tasks: "slapd_monitoring.yml"
> tags:
> - monitoring

This is as designed